Opinions on the manual transmission

Hobo

First Name
Jody
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep JL Unlimited Rubicon
If it's your first manual, no big deal but if you've driven manual all your life, it's very hard to get used to this twin disc clutch. You have to feather entry into the first disc or else risk stalling out, but then once you get it engaged it only transfers about 25% engine power to the transmission, about 75% slippage.
Then there is a fair amount of pedal travel till you reach the 2nd disc. It's hard to be smooth because with so much slippage in the first disc you just can't tell actual engine load as you reach the 2nd engagement point. Easy to bog down, or surge which makes you feel like a rookie

So I have about 5500 miles on my 2020 JLUR, and I truly love the manual transmission and don't regret ordering it that way, not even for a second. I love the sound that the engine makes, I love the power you feel from the engine. It's great and it's completely fun to drive. But I find it to me one of the more "difficult" manuals that I've owned. Every time I feel like I've nailed it, I'll almost stall going in reverse, or almost stall at a stop light. I'm pretty good an manual transmissions, it just seems like this one is a tough one. Do people generally agree? I'm not smart enough to know if it has to do with ratios, gears, etc...
Sponsored

Rodeoflyer

First Name
Bert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep JLUR; 2016 Ram Powerwagon
Vehicle Showcase
I also love the manual. The flywheel is super light, that's what causes the stall. My first fluid change spit out a ton of metal which concerns me but the transmission is still smooth. Has anyone else done an initial fluid change and have pics?

sf5211

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
New 2019 JL
Occupation
Plumber
Vehicle Showcase
So I have about 5500 miles on my 2020 JLUR, and I truly love the manual transmission and don't regret ordering it that way, not even for a second. I love the sound that the engine makes, I love the power you feel from the engine. It's great and it's completely fun to drive. But I find it to me one of the more "difficult" manuals that I've owned. Every time I feel like I've nailed it, I'll almost stall going in reverse, or almost stall at a stop light. I'm pretty good an manual transmissions, it just seems like this one is a tough one. Do people generally agree? I'm not smart enough to know if it has to do with ratios, gears, etc...
I'm driving manuals 40 years Jody but still manage to stall my Jeep occasionally. Just have to give a little more gas on take off.

Rockywoolf

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 jlu rubicon
I experienced the same thing for reverse and taking off, until I changed the gears to 5.13s. Reverse is still a little weak but o really much better. I also have 37s and a lot of additional weight from the installed armor, winch, front bumper, tires, etc. I did remove the back seat as I almost never have more than two people and it’s not my daily driver.

AZ Hella

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
Smelled a bit of clutch on my last 2 outings. Hope they develop a fix soon for the recall. I love my manual. Come on Jeep. Fix it.

Sponsored

sf5211

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
New 2019 JL
Occupation
Plumber
Vehicle Showcase
Just out of curiosity......as you all know, parts that wear such as brakes and clutches are not usually warranty’d.
I wonder while we’re all waiting for the world to start up and waiting for the warranties to kick in, if you just wore out the clutch and the pressure plate didn’t come apart. Would you get a new clutch under warranty?
Technically if it just wore out it didn’t fail.

amnesiac

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Sport S
Just out of curiosity......as you all know, parts that wear such as brakes and clutches are not usually warranty’d.
I wonder while we’re all waiting for the world to start up and waiting for the warranties to kick in, if you just wore out the clutch and the pressure plate didn’t come apart. Would you get a new clutch under warranty?
Technically if it just wore out it didn’t fail.
my understanding is that it’s a recall, which is different than the warranty.

JL Fan

First Name
JL Fan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JLU Sport S
I’ve got 12K miles on mine. And I love my 6 spd transmission. I know there’s a recall. But I don’t have any problem with mine. Zero regrets.

Rodeoflyer

First Name
Bert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep JLUR; 2016 Ram Powerwagon
Vehicle Showcase
Love my 6-speed. I'd love it even more with 5.13 diff gears. I'm done with auto trans rebuilds.. already found a few Aisin D478's on salvage sites in the $1500 range. An auto rebuild/replacement would be twice that.

ctJLnewbie

First Name
C
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'02 Audi TT '10 Audi S5 '12 BMW X5d '17 Ibis RipleyLS '18 Wrangler JL
I’ve got 12K miles on mine. And I love my 6 spd transmission. I know there’s a recall. But I don’t have any problem with mine. Zero regrets.
Amen. We've got 3 manual vehicles in our garage and each one has it's own peculiarities. The feel of the Jeep stick and clutch are different from our other cars, as it should be. I think it's an excellent platform and I will be sad when they stop producing it.

* for everyone worried about stalling with a light flywheel, the only other car I've stalled in the last 2 years is a Audi R8 V10 - it's got a super light flywheel, and once you figure it out, it's money. I think the Jeep manual is similar - take a little time, figure it out, enjoy it.

Sponsored

m3reno

First Name
Sal
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Wrangler JLU
Amen. We've got 3 manual vehicles in our garage and each one has it's own peculiarities. The feel of the Jeep stick and clutch are different from our other cars, as it should be. I think it's an excellent platform and I will be sad when they stop producing it.

* for everyone worried about stalling with a light flywheel, the only other car I've stalled in the last 2 years is a Audi R8 V10 - it's got a super light flywheel, and once you figure it out, it's money. I think the Jeep manual is similar - take a little time, figure it out, enjoy it.

I think it's more to do with the gas pedal not having a wire and is controlled by position. There is a delay on most drive by wire vehicles, that you over compensate on the fuel then back off and creates the stall

sf5211

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
New 2019 JL
Occupation
Plumber
Vehicle Showcase

Hi C, I don’t think they’re gonna stop producing manual transmissions for a while. There’s still plenty of diehards like you and I. Plus with Ford coming out with a Bronco/Jeep takeoff I think us consumers will benefit from the rival companies. If something happened to my Jeep and only one of the 2 companies made a stick shift vehicle, that’s where I’d go.

m3reno

First Name
Sal
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Wrangler JLU
I was curious if any one had the actual total of manuals built vs automatics
Sponsored