Sponsored

Opinions on the manual transmission

Toycrusher

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
I guess I always fall into the category of “smooth” in the Jeep. I have my Porsche for aggressive driving. It too is a twin plate clutch as most manuals seem to be these days, and it’s never been an issue.

You let in until the first little nibble and then begin applying a little power as you move past that point. Need to go quicker? More power and let in faster. But you always get that nibble before adding significant gas unless you’re dropping the clutch (which I do not recommend for street driving or cars you plan to keep for a long time).

Once you get used to it, muscle memory applies and it takes no time to get to that first bite. Maybe that’s happened for me in the Jeep more quickly because I’ve already been driving twin plate clutches in my other cars for a while. I never really considered it any different from working the clutch on my earlier single-disc cars; just a little different feel to get used to.
I've owned lots of single disc cars, Jeeps, Suzukis, Trucks, and daily drive a Gen 1 Ram. In any of these, there is always a very narrow engagement zone and I've found it easy to pick just how much slip I want for a hill, or to jump into traffic. With this twin disc, I have to try to jump right past the first engagement and catch the 2nd to do a jack-rabbit start into a busy street. I usually end up slipping the clutch way more than I'd like to
Sponsored

GreySportySpice

First Name
Drew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18' JL Sport 6MT, 21' Bronco Sport OB
Occupation
Mechanical Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
I'm personally very new to manuals. I came from motorcycles and have about 9k miles so far on my Jeep. I have the 3.45 sport gearing with 33in Rubicon take offs and honestly the clutch feels like a button. Trained muscle memory makes driving it a breeze but I feel myself riding the clutch more than I'd like for a smooth ride. I suppose that's the combo of rev hang and long gears though.

flightace47

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
No Jeeps yet
I'm personally very new to manuals. I came from motorcycles and have about 9k miles so far on my Jeep. I have the 3.45 sport gearing with 33in Rubicon take offs and honestly the clutch feels like a button. Trained muscle memory makes driving it a breeze but I feel myself riding the clutch more than I'd like for a smooth ride. I suppose that's the combo of rev hang and long gears though.
My JLUR has the 4.10 gearing so maybe that’s making my life easier. I have to try pretty hard to stall it setting off in first; reverse up a steep driveway is a different story.

GreySportySpice

First Name
Drew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18' JL Sport 6MT, 21' Bronco Sport OB
Occupation
Mechanical Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
My JLUR has the 4.10 gearing so maybe that’s making my life easier. I have to try pretty hard to stall it setting off in first; reverse up a steep driveway is a different story.
I know 1st is lower than reverse if that helps. Ive heavily been considering 35s and I know I'm just gonna have to slip it more in first. I don't stall it now but thats only because I know it needs a little gas off the line.

Sponsored

flightace47

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
No Jeeps yet
I've owned lots of single disc cars, Jeeps, Suzukis, Trucks, and daily drive a Gen 1 Ram. In any of these, there is always a very narrow engagement zone and I've found it easy to pick just how much slip I want for a hill, or to jump into traffic. With this twin disc, I have to try to jump right past the first engagement and catch the 2nd to do a jack-rabbit start into a busy street. I usually end up slipping the clutch way more than I'd like to
Hmm, fair enough. I’ll agree with you that the engagement point is easier to feel on a single disc and I do tend to ride the twin disc clutches a little more when getting on it at anything between leisurely and full tilt. Do you have the 4.10 gearing on yours? I think it probably helps.

Might be my fault for going a little off topic, but I think the OP was asking about normal starts.

Toycrusher

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
Hmm, fair enough. I’ll agree with you that the engagement point is easier to feel on a single disc and I do tend to ride the twin disc clutches a little more when getting on it at anything between leisurely and full tilt. Do you have the 4.10 gearing on yours? I think it probably helps.

Might be my fault for going a little off topic, but I think the OP was asking about normal starts.
I do have 4.10 gears, and the clutch is probably very happy being slipped quite a bit, I just feel wrong doing it.

Too, though I have tons of experience driving manual, I may not be as coordinated as I think I am. A ballroom dancer in combat boots at times I'm sure.

unsavory

First Name
Jimmy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR XR 2.0T Auto, 2019 JLUR V6 Manual (sold)
I know 1st is lower than reverse if that helps. Ive heavily been considering 35s and I know I'm just gonna have to slip it more in first. I don't stall it now but thats only because I know it needs a little gas off the line.
I have 4.88 gears on 35s, and reverse is still too high if trying to back up a steep hill.

BRuby

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR-A Benz-A Porsche-M Subie-M
I have a Porsche with a very very sweet 6 speed. The JL’s manual is nowhere near on the same level (obviously), but it’s actually quite good in my book. The bite point is a little narrow, but very manageable and miles better than the old 4 runner I learned to drive on.
Yeah most comments posted are valid. We tested a Sport S early on with the stick leveller and 33s - since we really enjoy manuals. We have 3 other manual vehicles. Staying in the right gear is important to us as some autos are complete crap. In the end we went for the 8spd - as the manual mode is really quite decent for a slush box. Also since it could be optioned with the remote start that was important for us.

Insofar as Porsche the 6 spd is sublime with the short shift kit. The difference btwn kit and stock is very noticeable - and provides a nice robust heavy notch feel in your hand and clutch. You kinda feel part of the mechanicals. Def the old Tip auto boxes were crap comparably - but the newer PDK very decent. If the JL slush ended up being crap - would have gone for the stick even without the remote start - to get the most out of the engine. Overall the JL stick is quite acceptable for its purposes.

Sponsored

amnesiac

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Sport S
I think you have not yet adjusted to the twin disc. You basically have to try to remember where two different "bite points" are at. You have an initial grab on the first disc which gets you moving but barely, and doesn't progressively grab more until you get to the engagement point of the second disc. If you go too fast through the second engagement point you still get a rookie-like jerk which is irritating. Basically, if you drive very cautiously with slow acceleration, it can be very very smooth. But if you want to drive aggressive, it's horrible. I've got 36k miles on mine and I still don't really like it.
Good info, thanks. It took a bit to find the point because the clutch is so super soft. I’ve been wondering why that point felt so long, I didn’t know about the two points.

I’ve got about 4500 on mine, and I’ve gotten used to it for the most part, both casual driving and aggressive acceleration.

I’m curious what’s still giving you trouble with hard acceleration? maybe we can offer some suggestions?

one thing I have found is early on I was depressing the clutch all the way to the floor, which I’ve since realized is completely unnecessary.

Nickp01

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Local Bronco shill
Just for a separate data point; I’ve got a 2010 JK with the 3.8, 3.21 gears, and 285/70r/17 rubicon tires.

It honestly drives fine. Is it slow? Yes. But it’s not unbearable, people just exaggerate. JL’s with the 3.45 and manual have a significantly more powerful engine and gearing advantage, shouldn’t have any problems.

Aidencaster

First Name
Anto
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JLU sport
Hi there, was wondering how everyone's manual transmission is holding up?
I had an issue where the clutch was "sticking" for the first inch or so - eventually figured out that it was caused by a leaking slave cylinder which was eventually replaced and system was bled. Issue eventually went away after driving for another 1000 miles or so. Still comes back occasionally but nothing too bad.
Had a buddy drive it (his daily driver is a WRX and weekends a C6 - both manual) and he is almost positive that there is something defective with the Jeep's clutch. Granted, I dont think you can compare the clutch of a sports car to a Jeep, but he did drive mine a few times and believes that the clutch doesnt feel the same from when he first drove it (i chalked it up to the clutch breaking in)

I'm about ~7500 miles in and the only complaints I have is that the clutch has very little feedback and I'm almost always guessing where the bite point is via muscle memory. What do you guys think of the clutch in the JLs? this is also my first manual transmission
When you say your clutch was sticking when you were taking off. Was there a noticable loud bang or clunk. I seem to be having. This sound and I dont want to bring it in unnntill I exhaust all of my options..

sf5211

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
New 2019 JL
Occupation
Plumber
Vehicle Showcase
I have 4.88 gears on 35s, and reverse is still too high if trying to back up a steep hill.
Hi US, I have the same problem. My brother lives up a narrow steep driveway. If visiting for a holiday I of course Prefer to back up during the day and drive down at night. I’ve been driving manual transmissions from my dads trucks at 14 years old to countless stick shift cars and SUV’s so at 55 years old I consider myself experienced. With that being said I still would slip the damn clutch backing up that driveway.
After a couple times of smelling the clutch I backed up in 4 low. It only takes a second to shift into low. Problem solved.

geem03

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Sport
Occupation
RN/ Firefighter
Vehicle Showcase
I found that taking off in first on level ground by letting the clutch grab without giving any gas works best. Once there vehicle is moving, even slightly, I am able to to get going without getting my RPM's up or riding the clutch. I won't be the first of the line but I get going.....
Sponsored