Sponsored

Opinions on the manual transmission

unsavory

First Name
Jimmy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR XR 2.0T Auto, 2019 JLUR V6 Manual (sold)
Your hill assist applies brakes for 10 seconds? Mine only holds it for about 2 seconds.
And mine doesn't work at all 90% of the time. There is another thread discussing that separate issue with hill assist as well. It's just an all around horribly implemented system.

Either that, or maybe there is a defective sensor that some people have, and maybe that is screwing up the computer.

mgroeger

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 2.0T, 1991 YJ rock crawler
Occupation
I make microchips for a living.
Vehicle Showcase
And mine doesn't work at all 90% of the time. There is another thread discussing that separate issue with hill assist as well. It's just an all around horribly implemented system.

Either that, or maybe there is a defective sensor that some people have, and maybe that is screwing up the computer.
I did notice that it isn't consistent. Sometimes it really grabs and others not so much, it seems to depend on how hard the pedal was pressed. I just went for a spin again and can absolutely tell a difference when pulling out from a stop. There is no hiccup or hesitation with it turned off.

Amaruq

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLR 6spd
It is. If you are on any kind of incline, off or on road, when you let your foot off the brakes the Jeep will actually still hold the brakes for about 10 seconds after you have left your foot off the brake pedal or until you hit the gas.
I was passively making a joke about having a manual and actually being manual off-road. ;)

Sponsored

_olllllllo_

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Hellayella JLU Rubicon 6-speed
I did notice that it isn't consistent. Sometimes it really grabs and others not so much, it seems to depend on how hard the pedal was pressed. I just went for a spin again and can absolutely tell a difference when pulling out from a stop. There is no hiccup or hesitation with it turned off.
I had the same experiences with Hill Assisted turned on (default setting from the factory). Once I turned it off, it felt like a normal clutch to me. I have been driving manuals for 35 years and my JLUR clutch felt so odd and I stalled it way more than I ever did with other vehicles. Once Hill Assist was turned off I have much more feel of the clutch and even reverse isn't an adventure anymore.

Hank20

First Name
Henry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon
Just did 400 + miles yesterday to Sequoia and back and will try this hill assist off thing. I openly omit to stalling this Jeep multiple times and never had a good feel with this clutch yet.
Jeep Wrangler JL Opinions on the manual transmission New Bumper

Side note, really happy I put the metal bumper on recently, hit Bambi on the way down the hill jumped between me and car in front of me, bounced off and kept on bouncing, might have even survived.
Not even a scratch on the bumper, for sure would have dented the factory bumper at that speed and height.

_olllllllo_

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Just did 400 + miles yesterday to Sequoia and back and will try this hill assist off thing. I openly omit to stalling this Jeep multiple times and never had a good feel with this clutch yet.

Side note, really happy I put the metal bumper on recently, hit Bambi on the way down the hill jumped between me and car in front of me, bounced off and kept on bouncing, might have even survived.
Not even a scratch on the bumper, for sure would have dented the factory bumper at that speed and height.
Bambi appears to be human in this picture. Does your Jeep use a selfie stick?

double0762

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 2020 JL Willy's
Occupation
Canyon Independent School District
Vehicle Showcase
Bambi appears to be human in this picture. Does your Jeep use a selfie stick?

Did you have your grille painted Matt black?

Sponsored

ChattVol

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU 4 door
I honestly can't tell a difference. It's possible there's a slight bog off the line with the hill assist turned on, but I can't be positive.
That's what I experienced...a slight bog with it turned on.

@mgroeger my hill assist also didn't work a few times wheelin and I was rolling down a 3' ledge and couldn't make a climb I should've been able to do. Time to start using the e-brake.

Last edited:

_olllllllo_

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I honestly can't tell a difference. It's possible there's a slight bog off the line with the hill assist turned on, but I can't be positive.
That is good description of how Hill Assist affected the clutch. I would add that the engagement point wasn't very precise either. I can now feel right when the clutch is beginning to engage and this was missing when Hill Assist was on.

Toycrusher

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
That is good description of how Hill Assist affected the clutch. I would add that the engagement point wasn't very precise either. I can now feel right when the clutch is beginning to engage and this was missing when Hill Assist was on.
Through the power of suggestion... it seems more and more like the bog is missing when hill assist is off. Or I'm subconsciously feeding more throttle on take-off...

Yeah, I don't know how to scientifically settle this one

mgroeger

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 2.0T, 1991 YJ rock crawler
Occupation
I make microchips for a living.
Vehicle Showcase
Through the power of suggestion... it seems more and more like the bog is missing when hill assist is off. Or I'm subconsciously feeding more throttle on take-off...

Yeah, I don't know how to scientifically settle this one
We all seem to be feeling the same thing with it off. That is a more natural feel where we can feel the clutch grab vs. this ambiguous mushy feel of the clutch when it is turned on.
Sponsored