Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.jeepdoodles.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon, 2017 Chevy Tahoe
Build Thread
Link
I don't do it on purpose, no need to be condescending. I noticed it happening, tried to recreate the noise a couple times and have since adjusted how I drive my Jeep so it doesn't happen anymore. I've just never had a vehicle that detonates this bad reliably even when I'm not giving it much gas at all in lower RPMs so I was asking a question.
Yeah this engine likes to stay above 2k RPMs. You have to adjust your brain to shift higher in the RPM band than you are used to from other vehicles.

It was an adjustment for me and my prior manual was a Jeep (YJ). So the JL is definitely different.
Sponsored

mgroeger

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 2.0T, 1991 YJ rock crawler
Occupation
I make microchips for a living.
Vehicle Showcase
I never did the recall on my 19, no. It always felt relatively normal to me. I do wonder if having the recall or having it replaced would make a difference. Everything is VERY different on my 20 rubi. No real rattle or pre-ignition issues.
The recall will do NOTHING to make it feel different IF they don't replace the clutch. They simply do a stall check and add a heat wrap to the hydraulic hose. IF you fail the stall check that means you are in danger of catching fire and they will replace your clutch. The question is will they replace it with the older style clutch or the new model clutch.

jdubya421

First Name
Jakob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon 2-Door MT V6
Build Thread
Link
Jakob I got the recall. Just the sleeve like you I didn't have any symptoms. It didn't make any difference to the clutch feel. Now I'm curious to drive yours and see what the difference is.
Feel free to. I'm sure I'll see you before CO.

word302

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
I don't do it on purpose, no need to be condescending. I noticed it happening, tried to recreate the noise a couple times and have since adjusted how I drive my Jeep so it doesn't happen anymore. I've just never had a vehicle that detonates this bad reliably even when I'm not giving it much gas at all in lower RPMs so I was asking a question.
Wasn’t trying to be condescending. You have a heavier vehicle with a motor that doesn’t make much power below 2000 RPM.

word302

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
Kept the 3.6. You're welcome to drive it next time we see each other

As far as detonation and rattle my 19 made both of those noise. The rattle is the clutch and its distinctly a different noise. The 3.6 just has pinging and pre-ignition issues. But supposedly FCA is cool with it.
It definitely doesn’t have preignition issues, that would be a major problem. Detonation is expected in a heavy vehicle if you’re not in the power band.

Sponsored

iznthesky

First Name
Edgar
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep JL Rubicon & 2004 Jeep TJ. Previously owned 1993 Cherokee, 1980 CJ5, & M151A2 while in the Military. For the love of Jeeps !
Your the BEST judge of whether your Jeep is operating properly or not. If YOU feel it’s not right....CERTAINLY take it to a different dealership service dept. you will find that service depts are as different as the dealers are. If your not getting the results you think you should...then go to a different dealership.

As for me, my 6 speed Manual has 25,000 on it now. Zero issues....with the entire Jeep. Great product, gets great mileage with the 3.6 lot, 6 speed man andthe Rubicon gears

Toycrusher

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
Does anyone have a weird rattle when giving your Wrangler gas below ~2k RPM's? Especially in lower gears - If I give it a little bit more gas than normal I hear a rattle coming from the engine area. The noise will happen for a second or two and then go away, but I can reliably recreate the noise. I understand that I shouldn't be giving it too much gas in lower RPMs because that'll "lug" the engine, but I still feel like it shouldn't knock/rattle?

I've heard people talking about knocking and 93 resolving the issue but I'm just worried. I want to keep my Jeep for a long time so I don't want to deal with a blown engine in a few years.
The rattle is coming from the 1-2 shift dog or syncros. Not engine ping

Toycrusher

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
That’s called detonation. Stop doing that.
It's actually not. You have to be under at least some load to get detonation. This is a specific engine vibration that's rattling the 1-2 clutch dog or Syncros.

Toycrusher

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
Sorry if you said this earlier in the thread, but did you have your clutch replaced? My Jeep is at the dealer getting the TSB related to the wiring sleeve taken care of, I'm wondering if I should ask if they can check my clutch out while they're at it if that's what's causing the rattle.
Still does it with my Centerforce clutch so not clutch related, it's engine vibration.

word302

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
It's actually not. You have to be under at least some load to get detonation. This is a specific engine vibration that's rattling the 1-2 clutch dog or Syncros.
While I don’t disagree with you as I haven’t experienced this with my 6 speed, trying to accelerate in too high of a gear is plenty of load to cause detonation.

Sponsored

Toycrusher

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
While I don’t disagree with you as I haven’t experienced this with my 6 speed, trying to accelerate in too high of a gear is plenty of load to cause detonation.
Agreed. But in this case, it can be duplicated in 3rd - 6th gear in that 1500-2100ish range even with the t-case in low with virtually zero load on the engine

opiop

First Name
Toby
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Sport 6 speed Bikini Pearl
Occupation
Software Developer
I just want to add that I hear the issue when I'm in the lower gears. I'm sure it happens in higher gears as well but I can't hear it over wind noise. But even in 1st/2nd gear with a little bit of gas under 2k RPMs (nowhere near foot to the floor, I'll add as well) I hear the detonation/whatever it is.

I'm not disagreeing with you but I just wanted to clarify since it happens in low gears as well.

Toycrusher

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
I found it more noticeable with my Centerforce clutch since I can start and go without using any gas and it will shift gears at a much lower rpm than with the stock flywheel without stalling or bucking.

Toycrusher

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
I just want to add that I hear the issue when I'm in the lower gears. I'm sure it happens in higher gears as well but I can't hear it over wind noise. But even in 1st/2nd gear with a little bit of gas under 2k RPMs (nowhere near foot to the floor, I'll add as well) I hear the detonation/whatever it is.

I'm not disagreeing with you but I just wanted to clarify since it happens in low gears as well.
Are you positive it's in 1st and 2nd? While I get some noises, that particular rattle only happens to me in 3rd or higher. I was sure it happened in 2nd until I specifically started testing. It's irritating in town in 3rd at low speeds

_olllllllo_

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Hellayella JLU Rubicon 6-speed
The biggest improvement to the drivability to my 6-speed was turning Hill Assist off. That resulted in a massive improvement in the clutch feel and how it related to off the line behavior in first and even second gear when rolling slowly.
Sponsored