Opinions on sky one-touch top

Katemc6

First Name
Katherine
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JLU
Looking for any feedback on the sky one touch top. I’m placing an order for a new Rubicon and originally I was going to go with a premium soft top but now I’m leaning towards a sky one touch top.

I’ll be trading in my 2018 Sport S that has a hard top. In the 3 years I’ve had it, I’ve hardly gotten any use out of it. It’s a bit heavy for me and usually I’m by myself. My storage options are really limited. That’s why I’m thinking either the soft top or the power top will be a more usable option. Convenience is the main factor for me.

My dealer mentioned older Liberty’s with a similar top had a history of leaking but I’m hoping they’ve improved them since then.
Sponsored

FrostySerb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR/2017 Ram 2500 Mega-Cab LongHorn Cummins
I personally don’t like them, you can’t take the top fully off, which for my wife was a deal breaker.
I also have easy storage for whenever I remove the hard top ... so that’s a little different.

Simms

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Sahara
Had the sky top for about a year. I’m in the same boat with no place to really store a hard top. I haven‘t had any leaks or issues so far and get a TON of use out of it. I probably open it two-three times a day which is way more use then I got out of my last soft top. Only question I still have is how long it will last but I have no regrets.

If I were to do it again I would get the one touch top again. The only other top that looks like I would get as much use out of it is the MY TOP power soft top. Only issue there is it crowds the trunk where the dogs are so it wouldn’t be ideal.

Overland Utah

First Name
Caden
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
I think you would like the power top. I have been considering it for my next jeep, because often it is too much of a commitment to drive topless for a multi day trip. Even deciding to take the top off is at least a weeklong commitment for me, hoping the weather will cooperate.

I think it would be nice to drive to the trailhead, and then be able to decide if it is top off or on type of day. The only drawback is I really like the way a JL looks with the top off and slant back roll cage, and with the top not being removable I would lose the ability to run that look.

kkarnage

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 392, 2020 JLUR, 2015 JKR
Occupation
Retired
I've had my Sky One Touch top JLUR now for a bit over a year. I was originally in the market for a Punk'in Hardtop, but by the time I had decided that, that color run was over and so I couldn't factory order, so ended up buying one from dealer inventory with the One Touch Top.

I love how easy it is to just hit a button, and, voila, sky! It really comes into its own in the late fall or early spring when there's still a chance of showers in my part of the world: super easy just to bump a button when the rain starts, and it closes.

The only thing I will say is that there is more wind noise than there would have been with a hard top, and it does get a bit warm under that black tarp in the height of summer.

Sponsored

JJSix

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR, 2016 Dodge Caravan
Occupation
Military
Vehicle Showcase
Running mine for about a year and a half now, zero regrets! Everyone is different but it was by far the best possible top as I have it up and down several times a day, in Arizona its really heat dependent. No leaks at all, no issues at all in fact, it's been pretty much perfect.

I will say that compared to running fully topless, it looks a bit funky but it feels almost exactly the same as my JK did fully naked.

Last edited:

Gregj

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Rubicon, JLU Sport, JTuRD
@Katemc6 Sky One Touch! Just got one for my wife and she’s loves it! Tried a softtop but it was too hard to open and close and noisy. Got her a Bestop Sunrider which she likes but still has trouble opening and closing it. SOT is a one button push to open and close.
Gregj

R1nZX

First Name
Ross
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler Sahara Altitude, 2019 BMW M850i
Normally I'd prefer a lift-off hard top like my last Wrangler had, but I'm considering a Jeep at the local dealer with this power top. At first I didn't realize the rear windows are removable, which should help, but I still wonder about "booming" like you get sometimes in a car with some windows down. It seems like at high speeds you've got a lot of air hitting the rear window like the proverbial barn door, even though it can escape out the sides. Good to know that owners like them; that helps with my decision. It would definitely be nice to be able to open/close the top at will.

Laserflorida

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 moab
I live in Florida and intermittent rain is an issue. I had the top off once on my 2015 JK. I open the skytouch just about every day on my 2019 JL. 392 on order has skytouch as well.

SH556JL

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLR M6 RIP, 23 JLR M6
I think it's neat, but I can see them being problematic. Very early in my career before getting into aviation, I use to work for a yacht manufacturer with a similar setup on the flybridge. Aways had issues with it... Personally I would avoid it, doesn't mater if long term (don't want to fix it) or short term ownership (I can't see this option having great resale value).

Sponsored

Jeepadoodle

First Name
Kerwin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR, 2021 Sahara 4xe
Wife and I love ours. She feels safer in the sketchy areas when she has the top open vs driving her BMW convertible with the top down.

GatorWrangler

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JLUR XR
I live in Florida and intermittent rain is an issue. I had the top off once on my 2015 JK. I open the skytouch just about every day on my 2019 JL. 392 on order has skytouch as well.
Do you notice it being very hot in the Florida sun in the summer with the top being black?
This article mentioned that: "the Sky fabric section absorbs a ton of heat from the sun and radiates that downward at the interior passengers' heads. You've gotta keep the A/C on almost full tilt on a hot summer day if you don't wanna sweat through your clothes."
Sponsored