Sponsored

Opinions on purchasing 2017 JKU or wait on JLU

The Great Grape Ape

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 JKU AspenX 5spd , 2015 JK Sport 6spd
Yes, but I'm imagining a website with real prices on it, not fake MSRP prices. Something like the online Apple Store.
Yeah, that's a bad model, and would make you wish for someone (like a dealer) to reduce the price from $60K for all Rubis, $50K for all Sahara and $40K for all Sport, no options they are appointed how FCAppple sees fit, here's our no-haggle-prices, and you're gonna like it.
That would be the Apple equivalenet with a Wrangler.

The annoying part of the equation is people complain about price, but don't even make the same effort to research and price shop they would for a new pair of skis or bicycle or TV.
The tools are out there and still people don't bother to prepare themselves they just walk into a dealership and expect the salesperson to want to cut their income based on a 5 minute 'relationship'.

People need to treat this as the significant purchase it is, and do the appropriate amount of work for it to save money.
Sponsored

The Great Grape Ape

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 JKU AspenX 5spd , 2015 JK Sport 6spd
Do Internet prices include "Destination Fee" ( Delivery to dealer in your area) . Here in the Northeast, thats an extra $1000.
Destination fee isn't the cost to deliver to your dealer, it is the same across the country, so as to not penalize dealers further away from Toledo, and it's a government and dealership requirement.

It's essentially an equalized trailing average of the total cost of delivery for all Wranglers from the previous year applied as a fixed cost to this year's Wranglers.

Also you would be charged it by law even if you picked up directly at the plant.

Spank

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon, 2020 Dodge Challenger RT Scat Pack
Shady dealers will sometimes to try to add a "destination fee" on top of the price (packaged with the dealer fee, title, tax, etc.) when it's already factored into the MSRP. That's another thing to watch for. Slimy bastards.

ThirtyOne

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.jeepdoodles.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon, 2017 Chevy Tahoe
Build Thread
Link
Koon prices are on the low end, although I have been able to get a local dealer to meet them. They also offer group buys through some of the online forums and those prices are no-haggle and the lowest you are likely to find. One thing to check is the doc fees. They vary by state and are relatively high in VIrginia.

Sponsored

MrDinkMan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Durango
After seeing last night and today's pics you'd being doing yourself a disservice by not waiting to see and drive the JL at least.

MrJeepNut

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1980 CJ-7, 1997 TJ, 2018 JKU
Vehicle Showcase
After seeing last night and today's pics you'd being doing yourself a disservice by not waiting to see and drive the JL at least.
Following up on my posts above, I have in the end, after much temptation, resisted buying the heavily-discounted JK Rubi Recon that I mentioned. Against @Billy's advice, I did go test drive it, and I loved it, and I wanted to buy it. But the voices told me "no, you might regret it", so I left it there on the lot. It sold on Tuesday, the next business day after I drove it.

Gotta drive the JL first, regardless of how many awesome JK deals I may have to pass up in the next few months. I plan to keep my next Wrangler a long time, so I want to get it right, even if it costs more to do so.

Billy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1997 TJ, 2022 JTRD
Vehicle Showcase
Following up on my posts above, I have in the end, after much temptation, resisted buying the heavily-discounted JK Rubi Recon that I mentioned. Against @Billy's advice, I did go test drive it, and I loved it, and I wanted to buy it. But the voices told me "no, you might regret it", so I left it there on the lot. It sold on Tuesday, the next business day after I drove it.

Gotta drive the JL first, regardless of how many awesome JK deals I may have to pass up in the next few months. I plan to keep my next Wrangler a long time, so I want to get it right, even if it costs more to do so.
Ah grasshopper, when you can snatch the pebble from my hand, you will become the JL master... :please:

Florak

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Other
I am about to purchase my first Wrangler. A 42 year dream- so to speak... I went to my local dealership in late August and spec'd out everything I wanted and production began. I told them I wanted a new 2018 after reading about the JL. Well, after about two weeks- I discovered that they ordered me a 2018 JK. It arrives tomorrow and now I am faced with the decision- do I buy it or do I wait? I have heard rumors of keyless entry (fob and push button start)- which I love as I HATE carrying keys in my pocket. New UConnect interface and new top options. Just curious to get the opinion of some experienced veterans if you think I should wait or just pick up the JK that was ordered? The dealership is not holding me to the order- they of course will have no trouble selling it if I decline.
Thanks,

Sponsored

Billy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1997 TJ, 2022 JTRD
Vehicle Showcase
I am about to purchase my first Wrangler. A 42 year dream- so to speak... I went to my local dealership in late August and spec'd out everything I wanted and production began. I told them I wanted a new 2018 after reading about the JL. Well, after about two weeks- I discovered that they ordered me a 2018 JK. It arrives tomorrow and now I am faced with the decision- do I buy it or do I wait? I have heard rumors of keyless entry (fob and push button start)- which I love as I HATE carrying keys in my pocket. New UConnect interface and new top options. Just curious to get the opinion of some experienced veterans if you think I should wait or just pick up the JK that was ordered? The dealership is not holding me to the order- they of course will have no trouble selling it if I decline.
Thanks,
Wait. Keyless entry is confirmed. Among many other things.

Jabs

First Name
Jabs
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Rubicon
Thanks,
I agree with Billy! Definitely wait.

New Look
Updated Engine
Updated Interior
Larger Screens and Uconnect
Keyless Entry
Standard Back Up Camera
Standard Side Airbags

There's a bunch of little details that all together will make a big difference. And in 2 years the JK will look outdated compared to the JL.

Dackel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 JKU, Ram 1500
Thanks,
Keyless entry and 8” unconnect are confirmed. Along with a lot of other upgrades and improvements. You should check out the full list of what’s confirmed so far - http://www.jlwranglerforums.com/for...l-jlu-and-2019-pickup-jt-info-compilation.21/

I think after reading that you’ll decide it’s smart to wait for the JL.

TroyBoy

First Name
Troy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
I agree with Billy! Definitely wait.

New Look
Updated Engine
Updated Interior
Larger Screens and Uconnect
Keyless Entry
Standard Back Up Camera
Standard Side Airbags

There's a bunch of little details that all together will make a big difference. And in 2 years the JK will look outdated compared to the JL.
plus better axles
probably a better tow rating
fold down windshield that is actually easy

Matt The Hammer

First Name
Fake Name
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JKUR and YJ
Occupation
Engineer
A 2018 JL will look new for the next ten years.

A 2018 Jk will immediately be 'the old jeep model'.
Sponsored