Opinions on best console safe

JoeBanks

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Willys Sport JLU
I'd like to install a console safe in my soon-to-arrive JLU Willys Sport.
The strongest looking one I've seen so far is the Lock-er Down Exxtreme Console safe...but it only has top/bottom and two sides. Are there any console safes available for the JLU console that is a BOX with all sides protected?
I'd like to hear any recommendations and reviews of those here who have added a console safe.
https://www.amazon.com/Locker-Organ...hvlocphy=&hvtargid=pla-4584482468777248&psc=1
Sponsored

Ct_Formula

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon JL, 2011 JK Sahara
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Self Employed

Whiskeybiskit

First Name
Donny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL wrangler sport s
Vehicle Showcase
I don't think you'll find one that's a complete box. I can only speak to tuffy products. I had the glove box and rear cubby lid on my jku and have the console in jl. They are well built products that will keep out the opportunistic thief. I've never hard anything negative about lockr' down products either.

OP
OP
JoeBanks

JoeBanks

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Willys Sport JLU
Thanks for the input. I’m leaning towards the Lock’er Down because I’m planning on occasionally storing a firearm inside and want the most secure safe I can find. Some of the console safes made by Locker’down for other vehicles are complete boxes but not for the Wrangler…I guess it’s the size/shape of the console.
If I were only storing a phone, watch, cash or other valuables I’d easily go with the Tuffy.

calemasters

First Name
Allen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon Unlimited, & Escalade
Occupation
Retired Mechanical Engineer
Opinions on best console safe

Jeep Wrangler JL Opinions on best console safe mean_do

Sponsored

Whiskeybiskit

First Name
Donny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL wrangler sport s
Vehicle Showcase
The jl console is wider at the bottom and narrows toward the top. I think both companies use this in their design, basically using it as wedge for the top/lid. I have no issue storing my firearm in the console with the tuffy. You really can't go wrong with either company.

AcesandEights

First Name
Aces
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Rubicon 2D, with extra guacamole
Occupation
I'm often occupied, by many things, often at the same time
If you put a "box" in the console it will be too small for a firearm. The way it is shaped it'll be smaller at the bottom than the console in order to get through the top. The way Tuffy does it is the "right" way to do it, not to say the other companies do it differently or "wrong". A small firearm fits, with a holster, not much else.

Last edited:

Pegleg

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Unlimited Sahara
Occupation
Vice President - Woburn Sportsmen's Association
I have the Locker Down in my JL. As you indicated, not a full box. During my research I did not find any full insert boxes for the console.

I also installed because on occasion I need to store a firearm. My EDC is a S&W Shield 9mm and it fits in with no issues at all. You can fit a full size 1911 in but you'll need to twist and spin. Don't plan on pulling anything out super fast, especially a full size pistol.

I've had a Locker Down in my Tundra for 5 years and never had any issues and no complaints. So far no issues with the one in the Wrangler.

If you compare the Locker Down to the Tuffy you will see the Locker Down is more of a box while the Tuffy is more like a reinforced lid.

20201017_120115.jpg

OP
OP
JoeBanks

JoeBanks

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Willys Sport JLU
Thanks Pegleg.
After comparing the two (Tuffy & LockerDown were the most highly rated I could find) I’ve decided to go with the Lock’er Down. It’s more heavy duty, has thicker top and Made in USA. 👍🇺🇸

SpaceCase

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
4xe Rubicon
Thanks Pegleg.
After comparing the two (Tuffy & LockerDown were the most highly rated I could find) I’ve decided to go with the Lock’er Down. It’s more heavy duty, has thicker top and Made in USA. 👍🇺🇸
Do you have the front trail cam? If so, the LockerDown will not fit.

Sponsored

OP
OP
JoeBanks

JoeBanks

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Willys Sport JLU
Nope. Bare bones Willys Sport but thanks for letting me know about that possible interference issue.

Ct_Formula

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon JL, 2011 JK Sahara
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Self Employed
How the heck could the front trail cam interfere with it? What did these engineers do now?? :LOL:

RisingEagle

First Name
Armond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL 4DR Ocean Blue Rubicon
quick question for the thread - does the lock'r-down safe work in the 2021 consoles? the page only lists up to 2020, so just looking for confirmation that it does work
I have a lockrdown one in my ram; love it, and have the digital lock with it (love that feature as well) but it doesn't seem to be a selectable option so I may have to ping them to see if you can get that with it in the Jeep

thanks in advance - if anyone can confirm the listed-2020 version works in the 2021, that would help a ton

edit: to answer my own question (and anyone else reading the thread) the link above me describes the two different consoles running around out there. apparently the trail-cam sits under the console, making it about 2.5" shorter inside (and affecting console safes). you can identify which you have by the little console mat in the bottom of the console

Last edited: