Opinions of first year JL

hoch

First Name
Hoch
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
I’ve been looking at ordering a new JLUR but running into one issue after another dealing with dealers.

I found a nice 2018 with around 30k miles. Unlimited Rubicon, 6-speed. Looks to be in good shape.

Would you have any reservations with buying a first production year?
Sponsored

Reactions: J0E

MtCamper

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 jlUR White Rubi, 2018 GMC 3500 Duramax,
Occupation
Retired Snowbird
I have a 2018 JLUR. It took two full years to work all the electronic bugs out. Now that they are gone, I'm very happy. I wouldn't want the manual, but the auto works great for my purposes.

Punkn89

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler JLU Sahara
Build Thread
Link
I ALWAYS bring a mechanic (unless you know what you're looking at) with me when checking out a vehicle I am going to buy, or bring it to them - especially when it is out of the powertrain warranty.

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
I own a 2018 Sahara: have replaced the two batteries and changed the oil, that’s it. Judging by posts on here, it appears my 2018 has had fewer issues than newer JLs rolling off the line.

I’d say a 2018 with 30,000 miles is a good find. But every used vehicle is unique. Check the CarFax, take it for a spin, kick the tires and give it a good look before buying.

Good luck.

Sponsored

CaJLMetalHead

First Name
CAJLMetalHead
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Sport Unlimited
the Aluminum steering box is a known weakness in the 2018 ... and I think the steering stabilizer is also problematic..

The Chubbernaut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler Willys
Occupation
Substance Abuse Counselor
Clubs

I bought a 2018 Sahara Unlimited JL with 31xxx miles on it last week. My suggestion would be to take it to a mechanic for a pre-purchase inspection. Before you buy it if possible, or during the return period if not. The only thing that was wrong with mine was that it was in need of an oil change, power steering fluid needed topped off and low voltage for many of the systems. The last one I'm still working on figuring out, but so far it hasn't effected the function of the vehicle. As long as you can get the vehicle inspected and it's mechanically sound, the year shouldn't be an issue.

ColoradoMike

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR XR
You absolutely need to make sure all the clutch/manual transmission recalls have been done on a 2018 JL manual. The JL clutch is extremely problematic, and 2018-2020 had several recalls for it. With a new one, you don't have to worry about those recalls; however, the new ones still have some of the same underlying design flaws. I'm not going to explain it; search this forum for JL clutch recall, JL clutch failure, JL clutch grenade, JL fire....
I had a 2021 JL manual before I knew about the clutch issues. Now I have a 2022 JL automatic. I would NOT buy a 2018 manual, personally.

Smoke Showing

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU
Nope. My 18 has been great. Not even paint issues around the hinges. Definitely check the maintenance records if you can. It shouldn’t have been back to the dealer for anything except the free oil changes with that few miles. Pre-Covid is a positive to me for a vehicle.

four low

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL
What kind of warranty will you get on the 2018, that is an essential item. If you can get a Mopar Extended Warranty, that is a big plus.
I have a 2018 JL 2 Dr, Sport with 2.0 etorque, no problems in over 32,000 miles.

Sponsored

ashegam

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 2DR Willys Sports
I’ve been looking at ordering a new JLUR but running into one issue after another dealing with dealers.
If you're willing and able to order a new one as you state, and don't mind waiting 2-7 months for it, then look at the list and many of the posts that show the dealers willing to order a new jeep under MSRP for you. This way you get exactly what you want and forego the extra junk options dealers put on cars and charge a premium for.

Sure used car prices are dropping but you can still get a great deal on a new jeep. The same Jeep I ordered can never be found in any dealerships and anything remotely close to it always costs $7k or more, just because of the sheer amount of crap options they put on there. Moral of the story a new jeep may be a better value then buying a used one, specially if you plan on keeping it for a long time.

drpericak

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Earl JLU Rubicon
Occupation
dentist
I had a 19 Rubi manual. I think it was an early model year too, like August. I put on 80K, no issues. Except the touch screen. It would act weird, like shut off and there goes every single control. Other than that it was fine. Oh, the door hinge bubbling was pretty bad too. But no mechanical issues.

RubenZ

First Name
Ruben
Threads
Reaction score
Website
myjlproject.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford F-250, 18’ Toyota 4Runner
My 2018 was junk and it's the reason I'm now out of a JL. That year you need to be on lookout for WELDS and make sure all the WELD checks and recalls were done. There were also some new improvements to the steering gear box that came out later that I wish i waited for since my JL was all over the road even after spending thousands on StreetSmart parts, LCA's, etc. Like others have mentioned, some 2018's were trouble free. Mine was not. At this point, I'm going to pay off my F-250 and then look for a used JL. Hell I may even find a salvage one and just fix up as weekend vehicle. I'm done with JEEP or any FIAT vehicle as a daily driver. Good Luck.

Albertaktm

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Willys 2 Door Manual.
Occupation
Chief Cook and Bottle Washer
I own a 2018 Sahara: have replaced the two batteries and changed the oil, that’s it. Judging by posts on here, it appears my 2018 has had fewer issues than newer JLs rolling off the line.

I’d say a 2018 with 30,000 miles is a good find. But every used vehicle is unique. Check the CarFax, take it for a spin, kick the tires and give it a good look before buying.

Good luck.
One must know that only a very small percent of owners post on these forums. Cars Trucks sleds bikes, 90% just buy and use them. Plus most people won‘t create a post saying everything is great!. I ordered a 2023 Willys late November and these forums and groups already had me looking for the dual battery Issue fixes and my Jeep isn't even built yet! All in all, take these forums with a grain of salt. Lots of information on here but be wary of the comments saying this or that is junk.

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
One must know that only a very small percent of owners post on these forums. Cars Trucks sleds bikes, 90% just buy and use them. Plus most people won‘t create a post saying everything is great!. I ordered a 2023 Willys late November and these forums and groups already had me looking for the dual battery Issue fixes and my Jeep isn't even built yet! All in all, take these forums with a grain of salt. Lots of information on here but be wary of the comments saying this or that is junk.
I have been a member on here for 3+ years, and I seem to see more posts now about people having issues with their new JL than when I joined.

Normal logic suggests that JL quality should improve with each passing year. Within the context of this forum, that doesn’t appear to be the case.

Back then posts about steering issues were more common; now posts about electrical problems appear to be more common. Take your pick.
Sponsored