Sponsored

Opinions needed: Best frame mounted Rock Sliders that serve well for body protection and as a step?

RusM

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tacoma
I would look at the White Knuckle rock sliders. I just got mine in, and going to install them this weekend. I've talked to others that have them, and they are very happy. They do a good job protecting the Jeep.
How long did it take to get them?
Sponsored

Low_Spark

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 4XE
I have the Artec sliders, I think I recieved one of the first sets, they are very heavy duty and tie into the frame and body mounts in a way that should hold up to heavy abuse. I've already pounded on them pretty hard and have not seen any deflection into the body. The only downside is that they are very heavy, I wish they offered an aluminum option. I would love to see how the Nemesis sliders tie into the frame and body mounts to see if they offer similar strength in a lighter weight?

Unknown-4.jpeg
The Billy Rockers tie into the frame with bolts and nutserts. They were on top of my list but with the 4xe running wires through the frame rails they won't work for me.

Jshwon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Granite Crystal JL Rubicon
ive been rocking (pun intended) Westin triple tube Snyper step/sliders for a couple of years now. i have beat on them and have raised the jeep with a floor jack under them. only have some scratches on them from dragging them on rocks. no dents or bends or anything. they make fantastic steps as well. we're short pigmy size people and my jeep sits high and i have a soft top. these steps are like a nice, long, wide platform for walking on while lowering the soft top.

the instructions say to loosen the body mount bolts for installation but i was able to get them in place by angling them in the install. no need to touch the body bolts at all.

https://www.quadratec.com/p/westin/snyper-triple-tube-rock-rails-jeep-wrangler-jl-unlimited-4-door
I’m looking at these as well. If you don’t loosen the body bolts and angle them in how do you tighten them down? I thought the slider attachment had to be between the bolt and body.

Yogi1956

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon Unlimited
Clubs

Yeah, Im not a advocate of removing the body bolts. My luck I’ll break those damn things. I know applying heat will break down the thread locker but could also weaken the bolt hardness and damage the body bushing. I’m going to avoid that route.
You don’t remove the body bolts, the hole goes over the bolt attaching the body to the frame and the instructions clearly tell you to NOT remove them. The bolts on either side of the body bolt come out but they are easy to remove and replace.

I installed mine solo but not sure I would again. A second pair of hands would be great. I installed the extra bolts also using my stepped bits.

The LOD’s might be twice as heavy as the standard Rubicon rock rails. Smooth on the bottom and great step design.

Pig-Pen

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU
Occupation
jabroni
Clubs

I’m looking at these as well. If you don’t loosen the body bolts and angle them in how do you tighten them down? I thought the slider attachment had to be between the bolt and body.
if you look at the photos of the product youll see that the bracket goes around the body mount bolt and there are two holes on the sides. They bolt in there. The photo is not accurate though, the front bracket is actually an L that bolts to the frame. Idk why they left an inaccurate photo in there lol.

the big C bracket looks like it would go under the body mount but its actually just a hair bigger and fits right around it. Except for the washer at the bolts head, which is slightly larger. Hence having to angle it in. Im glad i didnt read the directions prior to purchase, or i wouldnt have bought them lol. Since they tell you to remove the bolt.

Sponsored

Greyhound

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sport S
You don’t remove the body bolts, the hole goes over the bolt attaching the body to the frame and the instructions clearly tell you to NOT remove them. The bolts on either side of the body bolt come out but they are easy to remove and replace.

I installed mine solo but not sure I would again. A second pair of hands would be great. I installed the extra bolts also using my stepped bits.

The LOD’s might be twice as heavy as the standard Rubicon rock rails. Smooth on the bottom and great step design.
Not trying to be a jerk, but removing the body bolts on the Rock Hard steps was a reason for me to continue my search.......

Capture.JPG

Yogi1956

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon Unlimited
Clubs

Not trying to be a jerk, but removing the body bolts on the Rock Hard steps was a reason for me to continue my search.......

I'm referring to LOD Destroyer rails. I must have lost track of which step being discussed.
Jeep Wrangler JL Opinions needed: Best frame mounted Rock Sliders that serve well for body protection and as a step? Capture.JPG

Greyhound

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sport S
All good!!! I’ve looked at so many I can’t keep them straight anymore

JL MADDOG

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JL 2.0L Turbo
Occupation
Jeepin'
I want to thank all of you who provided input to this thread.

I have a "vertically challenged" (i.e. short ;)) better half and I am about to lift the JL. This means I need to add some steps with rock slide capability or I will never hear the end of her complaining about the height of Snazzy.

The input here helped me source, research and determine the pros & cons of the products available.

I haven't selected a pair yet but the info here will make that a well-informed and easier decision. Also, I'll be able to retain my hearing senses. :LOL:

Thanks!

Devil6Dog

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR Snazzleberry, 2001 Jeep Grand Cherokee,
I went with the Poison Spyder Rocker Knockers. They have a low, usable step for mama and the kids.

Jeep Wrangler JL Opinions needed: Best frame mounted Rock Sliders that serve well for body protection and as a step? Capture.JPG

When you’re going to hit the trail, it takes just a few minutes to remove the two Allen head bolts securing each step.

Then you have a nice, no compromise rock slider that you don’t have to worry about getting hung up on the step cut-outs.

Thanks for sharing. Like the OP bought my 21 JLUR and put on tube side steps before wheeling. Instantly found out they will rip off in time. My wife is 5''2" so I have to have some sort of step especially since I added 2.5 lift and 35's. This seems like the best of both worlds. Definitely check this configuration out. đź‘Ť