Sponsored

Opinions needed: Best frame mounted Rock Sliders that serve well for body protection and as a step?

OP
OP
BadA$$Rubi

BadA$$Rubi

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
Mock up. Drill holes. Nutserts. Install. Pretty simple if you have some sharp bits.

20200930_143654.jpg
I used a Unibit (step drill bit) to install the nutserts. Take it slow and easy and doesn’t tear like drill bits do to thin metal.
Jeep Wrangler JL Opinions needed: Best frame mounted Rock Sliders that serve well for body protection and as a step? CE0E257B-C8EA-4DC5-831D-E02F867B924B
Jeep Wrangler JL Opinions needed: Best frame mounted Rock Sliders that serve well for body protection and as a step? 7B05AB77-292C-4209-A60B-8E4BA1227B23
Jeep Wrangler JL Opinions needed: Best frame mounted Rock Sliders that serve well for body protection and as a step? 1281CC46-2CBE-4835-BB76-5307F54C9B3E
Sponsored

_thewick

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Engineer
LOD Destroyers

Jeep Wrangler JL Opinions needed: Best frame mounted Rock Sliders that serve well for body protection and as a step? 1281CC46-2CBE-4835-BB76-5307F54C9B3E
This is off topic but fenders do you have there? Are they chopped stock? They look good and I’m looking for something the retains a sort of stock look but gives more clearance.

Roverhi

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1970 Series 2 88
Clubs

For those having problems or worries about loosening body bolts, you might try the jumper cable trick to heat the bolts. The beauty of it is you only heat the bolt directly. No burned up paint or nearby rubber/plastic bushings. Have used the rick with great success removing SS fasteners from 50 year old aluminum masts. Would disconnect the battery from the Jeeps positive terminal to be sure you don't harm any electronics.

Jumper cable trick.
Hook jumper cables up to the battery as you normally would. On the other end put a bolt (1/4" x 2" bolt works fine) in the postive lead clamp of the jumper cable. Clamp the negative lead as close to the offending bolt as possible. Touch the bolt in the positive lead clamp to the head of the fastener. You set up what is essentially an arc welder. Will heat the fastener to a cherry red if left in contact long enough. It also gets the fastener way hotter than you can with a MAPP torch. It works really well as it only heats up the area of the fastener and not burning up the surrounding country side like you do with a torch. It is really the only way to get serious heat to a fastener if there is painted surfaces or plastics close by. Quench the heated fastener with penetrating oil. Try to remove the fastener. Repeat the process till you break the fastener loose. Other than using the trick to remove all the fasteners on a 44 year old mast, used it to get corrosion welded bolts out that passed through substantial aluminum castings on my self steering vane.

Sponsored

Headbarcode

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Stingray 2.0 turbo
Vehicle Showcase
This is off topic but fenders do you have there? Are they chopped stock? They look good and I’m looking for something the retains a sort of stock look but gives more clearance.
Yes, chopped factory fenders. It's a bit easier to do to the Rubicon and Sahara fenders because they are a 2-piece design. Just a matter of popping the plastic welds that attach the upper and lower halves together.

The Sport fenders would require some cutting along the outer edge to imitate the 2-piece parting line.

The fender brace/sequential turn/drl's are from American Adventure Labs. They have a brace for the lower hung Sport/Sahara fenders.

Headbarcode

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Stingray 2.0 turbo
Vehicle Showcase
These look perfect as they align with the fender flare straight across. I can’t see how rocks would be able to reach the rear with these.
Yeah, I definitely notice less earth and stone strikes on the side of the Jeep compared to the factory rock rails that didn't protrude too much. They would do a better job if I didn't have 3-3.5" of tire poke and chopped fenders. Full fenders would fill in the gaps at both ends of the sliders.

Whisky19

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru, JEEP!!!!!!!
Yeah, I definitely notice less earth and stone strikes on the side of the Jeep compared to the factory rock rails that didn't protrude too much. They would do a better job if I didn't have 3-3.5" of tire poke and chopped fenders. Full fenders would fill in the gaps at both ends of the sliders.
Thanks

DVJeeper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL 4door
I have the Artec sliders, I think I recieved one of the first sets, they are very heavy duty and tie into the frame and body mounts in a way that should hold up to heavy abuse. I've already pounded on them pretty hard and have not seen any deflection into the body. The only downside is that they are very heavy, I wish they offered an aluminum option. I would love to see how the Nemesis sliders tie into the frame and body mounts to see if they offer similar strength in a lighter weight?

Unknown-4.jpeg

Sponsored

Jeep 5150 2112

First Name
Marc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler jl 2018
Don't know about the best but I do know about the worst. The company TAC the worst!!! Their product rusted within 6 mths with my Jeep sitting in the garage and driven minimum. Product has a three year warranty which they do not honor. Stay away from TAC.

Pig-Pen

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU
Occupation
jabroni
Clubs

ive been rocking (pun intended) Westin triple tube Snyper step/sliders for a couple of years now. i have beat on them and have raised the jeep with a floor jack under them. only have some scratches on them from dragging them on rocks. no dents or bends or anything. they make fantastic steps as well. we're short pigmy size people and my jeep sits high and i have a soft top. these steps are like a nice, long, wide platform for walking on while lowering the soft top.

the instructions say to loosen the body mount bolts for installation but i was able to get them in place by angling them in the install. no need to touch the body bolts at all.

https://www.quadratec.com/p/westin/snyper-triple-tube-rock-rails-jeep-wrangler-jl-unlimited-4-door

Reactions: LCW

bigfoot21075

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR, 2012 Ford F350
For those having problems or worries about loosening body bolts, you might try the jumper cable trick to heat the bolts. The beauty of it is you only heat the bolt directly. No burned up paint or nearby rubber/plastic bushings. Have used the rick with great success removing SS fasteners from 50 year old aluminum masts. Would disconnect the battery from the Jeeps positive terminal to be sure you don't harm any electronics.

Jumper cable trick.
Hook jumper cables up to the battery as you normally would. On the other end put a bolt (1/4" x 2" bolt works fine) in the postive lead clamp of the jumper cable. Clamp the negative lead as close to the offending bolt as possible. Touch the bolt in the positive lead clamp to the head of the fastener. You set up what is essentially an arc welder. Will heat the fastener to a cherry red if left in contact long enough. It also gets the fastener way hotter than you can with a MAPP torch. It works really well as it only heats up the area of the fastener and not burning up the surrounding country side like you do with a torch. It is really the only way to get serious heat to a fastener if there is painted surfaces or plastics close by. Quench the heated fastener with penetrating oil. Try to remove the fastener. Repeat the process till you break the fastener loose. Other than using the trick to remove all the fasteners on a 44 year old mast, used it to get corrosion welded bolts out that passed through substantial aluminum castings on my self steering vane.
GREAT way to win a Darwin award AND Devastate your electrical system all at once!

A Large short circuit like that can easily send a column of hydrogen gas out of the battery and cause a serious explosion. Awesome home made hydrogen bomb.

Chazdog

First Name
Charlie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'14 Honda Pilot for now
GREAT way to win a Darwin award AND Devastate your electrical system all at once!

A Large short circuit like that can easily send a column of hydrogen gas out of the battery and cause a serious explosion. Awesome home made hydrogen bomb.
Yeah, I don't know about his method?

I recommend the Barricade Tubular Rock Sliders from Extreme Terrain. Istallation was fairly easy for two reasonably capable people. Removal of the body bolts , as everyone has mentioned, is the hardest part.

The fit and finish is outstanding and they feel very solid.

https://www.extremeterrain.com/barricade-jeep-wrangler-tubular-rock-sliders-j130922-jl.html

Jeep Wrangler JL Opinions needed: Best frame mounted Rock Sliders that serve well for body protection and as a step? IMG_2751
Jeep Wrangler JL Opinions needed: Best frame mounted Rock Sliders that serve well for body protection and as a step? IMG_2748

jellis4148

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler JLU Rubicon
I would look at the White Knuckle rock sliders. I just got mine in, and going to install them this weekend. I've talked to others that have them, and they are very happy. They do a good job protecting the Jeep.
Sponsored