Sponsored

Opinions needed: Best frame mounted Rock Sliders that serve well for body protection and as a step?

mushroomax

First Name
Max
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
Build Thread
Link
Is anyone running the Nemesis Aluminum Billy Rockers? Any feedback would be great...and pics of how they tie into the frame.

Jeep 5150 2112

First Name
Marc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler jl 2018
Stay away from a company called TAC ( truck accessory company)!!!! Horrible company their products look good and their reasonably priced but they do not stand behind their warranty and their products are cheaply made. Avoid them!!!

OP
OP
BadA$$Rubi

BadA$$Rubi

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
Is anyone running the Nemesis Aluminum Billy Rockers? Any feedback would be great...and pics of how they tie into the frame.
I checked their website for installation instructions. Couldn’t find any. I guess you’ll have to call them.

Craigzjeep

First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Sting Gray
Occupation
Telco Installer, retired. Current job drinking beer and yard work expert.
LOD
They are easy to install and very heavy duty.

IMG_6782.jpg

Last edited:

Sponsored

jeepken

First Name
Kenneth
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 392
Great thread and suggestions. I've had the LOD Signature on my JK and they've held up under serious abuse for 10 years. The step has never been slippery and the tubes provide a smooth sliding surface underneath and on the sides. After looking at all the options noted here and all the others I can find online, I'm still leaning their way for my upcoming JL392.

JeepVT

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLURD
I’m looking at rockhard4x4 with the angled down steps. Solves two things for me. I’m short and I want a slider

limeade

First Name
Guy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
I’m looking at rockhard4x4 with the angled down steps. Solves two things for me. I’m short and I want a slider
I just installed a set of the RH sliders, but with bars angled up. They are very stout and cover the pinch seams. I looked at LOD, Roam, and others. What I didn’t like about the others was the pinch seams not being covered and some reports of bending, being pushed up into the rocker panels, etc. The RH’s checked every box for me, with strength and protection being primary.

The only negative is removing all of the body bolts. Just take your time, loosening the bolts until you feel it bind, then tightening the bolt a bit to clear the threads. I also had my son heating the bolts with a propane torch which seemed to help. Don’t use an impact wrench or any power tools to remove the body bolts, you’ll never feel the bolt bind and you’ll surely break a bolt that way. Once the bolts were out, the install was very quick. I like that RH includes new body bolts to use if you choose, which I did.

Sponsored

JeepVT

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLURD
I just installed a set of the RH sliders, but with bars angled up. They are very stout and cover the pinch seams. I looked at LOD, Roam, and others. What I didn’t like about the others was the pinch seams not being covered and some reports of bending, being pushed up into the rocker panels, etc. The RH’s checked every box for me, with strength and protection being primary.

The only negative is removing all of the body bolts. Just take your time, loosening the bolts until you feel it bind, then tightening the bolt a bit to clear the threads. I also had my son heating the bolts with a propane torch which seemed to help. Don’t use an impact wrench or any power tools to remove the body bolts, you’ll never feel the bolt bind and you’ll surely break a bolt that way. Once the bolts were out, the install was very quick. I like that RH includes new body bolts to use if you choose, which I did.
Awesome. Thanks for the details on the install. Those body bolts sound tricky. I've F-ed up a few bolt on my high end mtn bike that cost me a petty penny to repair.

av8or

First Name
Randall
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR, 2023 Rivian R1T
Occupation
FedEx-retired
https://mountainoffroad.com/products/hide-a-step-black-jl

My stock rubicon rock rails have held up well. I’m not convinced any frame mounted ones aren't going to eventually get Flexed into the body, so when I upgrade I’ll be going with body mounted. But in the meantime the mountain off-road steps do the trick.

PS. The stock rails have survived 3 trips to Moab and the rubicon trail on a JL with a mopar lift and 35s.

I will be popping the steps off and dragging the stock rails across the rubicon again in a few months and have no worries about there strength. I just wish they were a little wider so as to keep the rocks farther from my doors.

Killdozer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL sport
So the consensus is to try seam mount...any other company's make a reputable seam mount slider with or without removal of the body bolts.

DOOKEY

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.tractionoffroad.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 GCM 392 - 2019 SG JLUR
Occupation
Wheel Pimp.
Mock up. Drill holes. Nutserts. Install. Pretty simple if you have some sharp bits.

20200930_143654.jpg

Cypher

First Name
J
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR Eco-Diesel now. 18, 19, 20 JLUR 3.6 old.
Occupation
Cybersecurity Leader
Vehicle Showcase
Very good thread indeed!
I ses that ROAM offers two type of finishes, powder coat or spray bed liner; which one you think its better to prevent rust?
I live in AZ so rust was not a major concern. The powder coat Roam uses is a perfect match for Rust-Oleum black enamel appliance paint. it was very easy to touch them up. I beat on mine pretty hard and had it down to bare metal in multiple places, after touch up unless you looked really hard you could not tell. I think the bed liner would be a good option as well, and when I buy JL #4 I may look into that. ( I have run Roam frame mounted sliders on 2 of my 3 JLs.)
Sponsored