Sponsored

Opinions needed: Best frame mounted Rock Sliders that serve well for body protection and as a step?

OP
OP
BadA$$Rubi

BadA$$Rubi

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
be careful with those rails. They make a great step and ok rail. The overline rails are not much of a step but incredible rail and will take much more abuse

brett
Thank you, Agreed. I had to have somewhat the best of both worlds. I’ll take the step portion off when I play hard.
Sponsored

MarkY3130

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
Okay, I ordered the Metalcloak Overland Rocker & Flip Step and the Aluminum Rocker Exoskins. We’ll have to run these through the rocks and see how well they do. Good luck with your Overlines. Let me know how you like them. I was strongly considering the Genright: #RCG-20104 Alum. Step-Rocker Guards & Body Plates and the Nemesis #1573 Alum. Billy Rockers. Check those out if you get the chance. They both look pretty tuff but don’t have a functional step. I caved to the flip steps. You can mount the steps in the upper or lower position or removed completely. I like those options. I’ll post pics when I get them on..
I was tempted by the genright ones but since I already have rocker armor I didn’t want to deal with all the holes that wouldn’t match up.

Dropped the Overlines off at the powder coater yesterday. Sandblast+zinc rich primer+ Satin black finish. Should be able to install them next week. Also ordered new hardware from Metalcloak and I have to say their customer service was great. I think they charged a fair price for just the hardware. With shipping it came out to about $30. Makes it easier than sourcing it all myself and I didn’t want to reuse the old hardware, though I do have it.

I’ll post pictures once I get them on. I’m adding 2” wide strips of grip tape on parts of the tube. I’ll see how that does as a step

If anyone is in the Denver area and needing powder coating, I can recommend a good place. It’s the same place Slee Offroad gets all their stuff done. If you’ve ever dabbled in the Toyota or Landcruiser World you may be familiar with them.

MarkY3130

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
After putting the kids to bed last night I put the body armor and MC Overlines on which I just got back from the powder coater. Install wasn’t tough but was a bit of a pain.

I put 5 coats of plastic dip on the back of the body armor to act as a gasket. It worked pretty well but I still ended up caulking a few edges with RTV sealant. Should work pretty good to keep crud from getting back there.

The Overlines are solid! I think they’ll work well. They hug the body about a .5” more than I was expecting, so they are an even worse step than I was anticipating.

Here’s a picture

588E5409-040C-4674-BD4B-919CD15C34CA.jpeg

OP
OP
BadA$$Rubi

BadA$$Rubi

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
That looks really cool man. The black and red really go well together. I hope they serve the purpose you are hoping for. I plan on applying a layer of Black RTV on the back sides my Exo Skins and let it cure before I fasten them to the body. I’m waiting for mine to show up. I’ll post when I get them on. BTW, post pics of your off-road adventure when you get back.

KansasJL

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Sting Grey JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
It sounds like you have already purchased some rock rails but I have had good luck (so far) with the LoD signature series sliders. I’ve banged pretty hard on them a few times and they have a few dents on the bottom but nothing major and it hasn’t gotten into the body (yet). Fingers are crossed that it doesn’t. Some grip tape on the top and I haven’t had to worry about my foot slipping off. If I was to do it again I would probably get some body mounted aluminum sliders with some sort of step on the top.

Sponsored

OP
OP
BadA$$Rubi

BadA$$Rubi

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
It sounds like you have already purchased some rock rails but I have had good luck (so far) with the LoD signature series sliders. I’ve banged pretty hard on them a few times and they have a few dents on the bottom but nothing major and it hasn’t gotten into the body (yet). Fingers are crossed that it doesn’t. Some grip tape on the top and I haven’t had to worry about my foot slipping off. If I was to do it again I would probably get some body mounted aluminum sliders with some sort of step on the top.
I did alot of research and did consider the LoD’s: Signature Series, Armor Lites and the Destroyers. It was a tough call. But I wanted to try the body mounted connection. I think the toughest aluminum body mounts out there are Genright’s & Nemesis. But with those, the step elevation is high.

RedundanT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
I would imagine most body bolt only style could have the potential to mash into the body like that. Looks like maybe the ones that also mount to the pinch seam have merit.

ThirtyOne

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.jeepdoodles.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon, 2017 Chevy Tahoe
Build Thread
Link
If you actually go off road, do not get the ROAM. I got them to protect my body... and they didn't serve me well at all. I maximized the Gap between the "Rock" Rail and the Body. But the flex a lot, and if you come down on them EXPECT Body Damage. See the Pictures Below. I have a 2 Door JL

Jeep Wrangler JL Opinions needed: Best frame mounted Rock Sliders that serve well for body protection and as a step? 588E5409-040C-4674-BD4B-919CD15C34CA

Jeep Wrangler JL Opinions needed: Best frame mounted Rock Sliders that serve well for body protection and as a step? 588E5409-040C-4674-BD4B-919CD15C34CA
I have similar (though not as bad) damage from my Roam sliders. I like them a lot otherwise.

I admit to being very hard on my sliders, but it just seems like this design will inevitably do some body damage.

I am considering adding body armor to prevent further damage.

Sponsored

Rodeoflyer

First Name
Bert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep JLUR; 2016 Ram Powerwagon
Vehicle Showcase
I currently have ACE body mounted sliders. I've been beating the crap out of them this summer and continually have to re-torque my cab bolts. They start rattling against the stock rubi rails after every outing. They've done what they're supposed to and I'd def have some body damage but don't believe the videos showing a full drop onto rocks. I'll be going with WELD on sliders next, prob these from VKS fab. https://www.vksfab.com/product/the-informant-rock-sliders/

I also know you want to steer clear of sliders that use cab AND frame mounts. The cab and frame move separately so the ones that utilize cab mounts and frame bolts will be an issue. I just thought I'd try the cab/body mount type first. They were on sale for $450 shipped and ready to go in a week but now here I am looking at frame mount weld on style.

Last edited:

MarkY3130

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase

TxJeepers

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR XR
I have the LOD signature series. Bolt to the frame and to the bolts on either side of body bolts. You don’t remove the body mounts for install. These things are stout and have taken some solid hits with no issue. My kids like that they double as steps.

MarkY3130

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
I made it back from Moab yesterday. Had a great trip that I intend to chronicle in a separate thread. I hit the MC Overline sliders exactly two times. While I typically hit sliders less in Moab than I do at home in Colorado, I was very surprised to only hit them twice. These sliders are higher and tighter than the LOD Destroyers I had before . I hit those all the time, including my prior trips to Moab.

The Overlines held up great to the two hits they took. I'll have to report back after more impacts on how well they do.

The biggest take away for me, is that maybe the best slider is the one that doesn't get hit as much.

OP
OP
BadA$$Rubi

BadA$$Rubi

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
Hers is the MetalCloak’s Overland Rocker & Flip Step & Aluminum Rocker ExoSkin Armor. Drilling all the holes in the body was pretty unnerving, but went well. Definitely taking the steps off before crawling.
Jeep Wrangler JL Opinions needed: Best frame mounted Rock Sliders that serve well for body protection and as a step? E2AC468B-300C-46DF-A4E9-726F2D2BAD29
Jeep Wrangler JL Opinions needed: Best frame mounted Rock Sliders that serve well for body protection and as a step? 421CDA24-863B-4430-AB00-769DF0862CF3
Sponsored