Sponsored

Opinions needed: Best frame mounted Rock Sliders that serve well for body protection and as a step?

BadA$$Rubi

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
Hey dudes, I want to replace my body mounted steps before I snag on a rock and cause body damage. I should have thought about this before I bought these. Show me pics of what works good for your rig. Thank you.
Jeep Wrangler JL Opinions needed: Best frame mounted Rock Sliders that serve well for body protection and as a step? 57591093-D7F8-44F4-95B3-7C2DD429C395
Sponsored

Whiskey 13

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep JLU Black Rubicon, LOD Signature Mid Width Bumper, Smittybilt Gen 3 12000 Lb. Winch Syn. Rope, Teraflex 1.5" Leveling Kit, Weather Tech Form Fit Mats, ROAM MK 3 Frame Mounted Rock Rails
Roam Off-road, makes great frame mounted rails. Installed them by myself in about two hours counting beer breaks. Costs about $700 plus shipping. They are steps but smooth on the bottom so they won't catch on rocks, they are also stout. Look them up on their web sight Roam Offroad.

Headbarcode

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Stingray 2.0 turbo
Vehicle Showcase
Definitely considering these. Did you have to mess with the body mount bolts to install?
The instructions state that you may have to loosen them, but I found that a little bit of wiggling and jiggling was all that was needed. A second set of hands is preferred.

Sponsored

tts42572

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon
In for answers.

I'm worried about these things and rust issues with powder coated steel stuff though. I'm in Upstate NY where salt wrecks havoc on steps/sliders.

I don't like the polished stainless steel look though so not sure what I'll do. Considering maybe aluminum stuff like the LOD lite armor steps.

CarbonSteel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Bronco Wildtrak
Vehicle Showcase
I am running bed liner coated ROAM frame mounted sliders. No need to loosen any of the body to frame bolts, they are really heavy duty, and look nice too.

The only issue that I had is that some of the supplied bolts were too short. I replaced all of them with serrated flange 10.9 bolts.

tonygiotta

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Firecracker Red JLUR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Fire Captain
I went with the Poison Spyder Rocker Knockers. They have a low, usable step for mama and the kids.

Jeep Wrangler JL Opinions needed: Best frame mounted Rock Sliders that serve well for body protection and as a step? 1F0A2E0A-99EB-4A53-B182-EDFE4465B405

When you’re going to hit the trail, it takes just a few minutes to remove the two Allen head bolts securing each step.

Jeep Wrangler JL Opinions needed: Best frame mounted Rock Sliders that serve well for body protection and as a step? 4BF355C7-6431-4650-91EA-518D48091759

Then you have a nice, no compromise rock slider that you don’t have to worry about getting hung up on the step cut-outs.

Jeep Wrangler JL Opinions needed: Best frame mounted Rock Sliders that serve well for body protection and as a step? BE954CC8-0804-471F-9E6A-F08F0C8BC630

OP
OP
BadA$$Rubi

BadA$$Rubi

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
In for answers.

I'm worried about these things and rust issues with powder coated steel stuff though. I'm in Upstate NY where salt wrecks havoc on steps/sliders.

I don't like the polished stainless steel look though so not sure what I'll do. Considering maybe aluminum stuff like the LOD lite armor steps.
Yes, also considering these over the LOD Destroyers. Thanks for the input.

Sponsored

OP
OP
BadA$$Rubi

BadA$$Rubi

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
RockHard. Excellent protection and a decent step. Yes you have to remove body mount bolts.
Yeah, Im not a advocate of removing the body bolts. My luck I’ll break those damn things. I know applying heat will break down the thread locker but could also weaken the bolt hardness and damage the body bushing. I’m going to avoid that route.

OP
OP
BadA$$Rubi

BadA$$Rubi

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
I went with the Poison Spyder Rocker Knockers. They have a low, usable step for mama and the kids.

Jeep Wrangler JL Opinions needed: Best frame mounted Rock Sliders that serve well for body protection and as a step? BE954CC8-0804-471F-9E6A-F08F0C8BC630

When you’re going to hit the trail, it takes just a few minutes to remove the two Allen head bolts securing each step.

Then you have a nice, no compromise rock slider that you don’t have to worry about getting hung up on the step cut-outs.

Looks great and I like removable steps. How close is the slider tubes to the pinch weld flange? Do you need to floss that area?

DonBucket

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon 2 door
If you actually go off road, do not get the ROAM. I got them to protect my body... and they didn't serve me well at all. I maximized the Gap between the "Rock" Rail and the Body. But the flex a lot, and if you come down on them EXPECT Body Damage. See the Pictures Below. I have a 2 Door JL

Jeep Wrangler JL Opinions needed: Best frame mounted Rock Sliders that serve well for body protection and as a step? 20201011_160420

Jeep Wrangler JL Opinions needed: Best frame mounted Rock Sliders that serve well for body protection and as a step? 20201011_160444
Jeep Wrangler JL Opinions needed: Best frame mounted Rock Sliders that serve well for body protection and as a step? 20201011_160322
Jeep Wrangler JL Opinions needed: Best frame mounted Rock Sliders that serve well for body protection and as a step? 20201011_160420
Jeep Wrangler JL Opinions needed: Best frame mounted Rock Sliders that serve well for body protection and as a step? 20201011_160444
Jeep Wrangler JL Opinions needed: Best frame mounted Rock Sliders that serve well for body protection and as a step? 20201011_160322

MarkY3130

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
I have the LOD Destroyers and praised them highly for about a year. I rock crawl a lot, and now my rocker panels look a lot like the pictures @DonBucket posted. I have full length creases down the side the length of the sliders. I installed all the optional bolts.

I now have rocker armor I never wanted just to cover up the damage.

I’m seriously considering switching to body mounted sliders. I think the frame mounted ones just have too long of brackets that will bend into the body if you use them for serious use and there isn’t anything you can do about it due to the length. Maybe with a weld on option you could mount them lower, but then they are lower.

Anyway, if you will pound them on rocks, don’t get the LOD Destroyer. For occasional use they will be fine. Took 12+ months of regular abuse before I ran into problems.
I will be switching but not sure what to yet. They currently scrape the paint off my rocker armor but at least the body damage has stopped.

Picture from yesterday

Jeep Wrangler JL Opinions needed: Best frame mounted Rock Sliders that serve well for body protection and as a step? EDB41577-A853-413B-B741-FA57257891DA

Last edited: