Opinion on Trektop NX Vs Glide

stuckinohio

First Name
Lewis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Sport S 4 Door
I know they aren't released yet :mad:but I'm looking for opinions from people who have experience on these two tops on the JK.

I am tossed up between the TrekTop NX and the NX Glide. I have a JLU. Basically I don't think I need the fold down function of the glide. I think I might be happy with the bikini. And since you have to take off the windows of any top to fold it down, I don't think folding it down would provide much benefit. I rarely ride with passengers.

What are your thoughts?
Sponsored

karynm8621

First Name
Karyn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sahara
We had the TrekTop NX on our JK. I loved the fastback look but honestly, it grows old not being able to drop the top. You have to pull the whole top off and leave in in the back or at home. This time around we are holding out for the glide ..

That said, if you don't plan on dropping the top daily then the NX is a great top

OP
OP
stuckinohio

stuckinohio

First Name
Lewis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
We had the TrekTop NX on our JK. I loved the fastback look but honestly, it grows old not being able to drop the top. You have to pull the whole top off and leave in in the back or at home. This time around we are holding out for the glide ..

That said, if you don't plan on dropping the top daily then the NX is a great top
I was wondering if that might be the case. I just really have no experience with Jeeps so I'm tossed up! I guess the only reason for not buying the Glide would be cost. (and if they released the glide later than the plain NX because I'm impatient, but it isn't exactly going to get lots of use till next year at this point...)

karynm8621

First Name
Karyn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sahara
I was wondering if that might be the case. I just really have no experience with Jeeps so I'm tossed up! I guess the only reason for not buying the Glide would be cost. (and if they released the glide later than the plain NX because I'm impatient, but it isn't exactly going to get lots of use till next year at this point...)
I believe yesterday Bestop announced that tops would be released in January

I loved my NX, don't get me wrong it is a great top. This time aroudnI'd prefer to be able to just swing the top all the way back

OP
OP
stuckinohio

stuckinohio

First Name
Lewis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Geesh. January.....

I believe your right about just having the top all the way down. Specially if I have back seat passengers i

Sponsored

OP
OP
stuckinohio

stuckinohio

First Name
Lewis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I like that you said "almost here"! Made me laugh. I certainly hope it is almost here, but I have my doubts.

I think I have decided to get the Glide version. I'm worried I will want the top down feature and not have it. I'm going with "buy once cry once" theme on this vehicle.

1idrod

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Website
ritterhomesinc.com
Vehicle(s)
06 GMC 3/4 Diesel, 02 V-Rod
Occupation
Builder
I got an email today from Quadratec that said the NX tops were available. Not sure if it's true but damn I want the Glide also. Guess I'll just wait.

OP
OP
stuckinohio

stuckinohio

First Name
Lewis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I got an email today from Quadratec that said the NX tops were available. Not sure if it's true but damn I want the Glide also. Guess I'll just wait.
Well according to their site, it looks like it's available for pre-order only. I assume it won't be available until January at the earliest. It's gonna be a tough decision if they aren't offering a glide when this thing is available. I can't have spring come around and me not have a soft top of some sort!

Kadonny

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR Manual Trans Front Spacers, 2010 JKU Wrangler Sport
I had both on my JK. In fact, I was chosen to be a Glide beta tester. I loved the NX, it's great for summer because you can ride in bikini mode and be protected from the sun and rain, but if you want to drop the entire top it's a little bit of a chore. It can be done by taking out the rear retaining bar (4 door) and rolling up the top, but it's a PIA. I was never a fan of the slant back, but lived with it.

The Glide on the other hand seems to be the best of both worlds but execution lacked IMO. I hated the little overhang that was present out the back past the cross rollbar, the side windows leaked constantly (yes, I am a seasoned soft top user so I know how to correctly install the windows) and the side windows had a metal piece that loved to dig in and scratch the Jeep tub at both rear corners. All that, plus I hated the look of the support bars sticking up when the top was folded down. Add that the whole thing seemed "flimsy" to me compared to the OEM and the Glide lasted on my Jeep only about 6 weeks until I switched back to my Trektop NX and was much happier.

Anyway, I'm sure they fixed a bunch of that stuff on the new JL Glide, hopefully they did. So are most my old issues gone? Perhaps, but I bet the looks stay pretty much the same. For me, the new JL OEM soft top is far and away the best option and beats either the NX or Glide.

Sponsored

OP
OP
stuckinohio

stuckinohio

First Name
Lewis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
@Kadonny thank you for the great write up! Interesting that you prefer the stock soft top over the glide. But I guess that is due to overall construction and quality. I just feel like the stock soft top does not look good.

Kadonny

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR Manual Trans Front Spacers, 2010 JKU Wrangler Sport
@Kadonny thank you for the great write up! Interesting that you prefer the stock soft top over the glide. But I guess that is due to overall construction and quality. I just feel like the stock soft top does not look good.
Thought the same thing at first, hated the new top look. But now? I like it and the ease of use is crazy great, so it’s no brainer for me. And yes, the OEM tops always seem better quality than aftermarket.

OP
OP
stuckinohio

stuckinohio

First Name
Lewis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
@BestopTeam I just spoke to someone at bestop because I had a couple questions about shipping and if charges come off now or when it ships.

Anyways, the person I spoke to was pretty confident that the standard Trektop might not be out by spring. Does this sound right? I certainly hope not...

Sgt Beavis

First Name
Rick and Miyako
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler JL Unlimited Sport S
Occupation
The Man, The Myth, The Legend. In my own mind.
Vehicle Showcase
I got to see the NX Top prototype today at a Jeeps and Java meetup. It's much nicer looking than I thought it would be. I'm still planning to buy the premium soft top but I might have to reconsider.

OP
OP
stuckinohio

stuckinohio

First Name
Lewis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I just bought a premium top of a fellow forum member. I don't have confidence that Bestop will have it by spring and there is no way in H*ll I'm going through spring, summer or fall again with no soft top.

I really wanted the Trektop, but I'm not chancing it!
Sponsored