Opinion on Mopar 2” lift Install.

Granizle

First Name
J.P.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Sahara JL, 2017 Wrangler Sport JK, 2007 Wrangler Sahara JK
Hello all, I’m looking for opinions on my recent dealership install of a 2” Mopar lift. After looking at the install in noticed that the shocks with the plastic guards are on the front, are they not supposed to be the rear shocks ? I watched a few install videos by CJ Off-road and Extreme Terrain and they show the rear shocks with guards. I mentioned this to the service manager and he told me that his tech said it’s the only way they would fit due to the spacers on the top of the shocks. I didn’t argue about it but showed him a picture online of what I had seen in the past and he said he was positive it was installed correctly. I ended up emailing Mopar customer care about it and they told me that they couldn’t give technical details through email or over the phone so they had to go with the dealerships diagnosis and if I felt it was wrong to go get a second opinion from another dealership. So here I am looking for install pics from the Jeep community to see who is right. Thanks for any input.
Sponsored

OP
OP
Granizle

Granizle

First Name
J.P.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hello all, I’m looking for opinions on my recent dealership install of a 2” Mopar lift. After looking at the install in noticed that the shocks with the plastic guards are on the front, are they not supposed to be the rear shocks ? I watched a few install videos by CJ Off-road and Extreme Terrain and they show the rear shocks with guards. I mentioned this to the service manager and he told me that his tech said it’s the only way they would fit due to the spacers on the top of the shocks. I didn’t argue about it but showed him a picture online of what I had seen in the past and he said he was positive it was installed correctly. I ended up emailing Mopar customer care about it and they told me that they couldn’t give technical details through email or over the phone so they had to go with the dealerships diagnosis and if I felt it was wrong to go get a second opinion from another dealership. So here I am looking for install pics from the Jeep community to see who is right. Thanks for any input.
6A9291FA-CBDE-47C3-95CE-C21C7C6E9B55.jpeg

8F0246B7-7524-4DC7-AA51-2789F84D303F.jpeg

Spank

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon, 2020 Dodge Challenger RT Scat Pack
Christ. If your dealership can't follow simple instructions, which clearly indicate which shocks go where, I'd be concerned about what else they might have gotten wrong with the install. I wouldn't be surprised if they didn't torque anything right, either. Take it back and tell them to do it right. This isn't a difficult kit to install, especially for a shop with a lift and professional tools, and swapping those out would be easy.

RMojitoJL

First Name
Skyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler JL Rubicon *Mojito*, 2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Altitude, 2019 Honda Civic Hatchback Sport
Occupation
Loan Officer
Vehicle Showcase
:headbang::headbang::headbang::headbang:

OP
OP
Granizle

Granizle

First Name
J.P.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Christ. If your dealership can't follow simple instructions, which clearly indicate which shocks go where, I'd be concerned about what else they might have gotten wrong with the install. I wouldn't be surprised if they didn't torque anything right, either. Take it back and tell them to do it right. This isn't a difficult kit to install, especially for a shop with a lift and professional tools, and swapping those out would be easy.
Yeah it’s the first Mopar lift they have done.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Granizle

Granizle

First Name
J.P.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Response I got back from Mopar.

197DCEC0-1DC7-442D-A1AF-9B4078CE0C7E.jpeg

Spank

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon, 2020 Dodge Challenger RT Scat Pack
Wonderful. "Veronica" is about as useless as the dealership. Unfortunately, she's right, and it sounds like you'll need to take it elsewhere.

Roky

First Name
Roky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
You are correct, they’re backwards, not all dealerships are bad, I personally am lucky, I have a great one, but some of them , I mean, if they can’t even put the right amount of oil in on oil changes how on earth could they do a lift!....:facepalm:

Jank4AU

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon 4xe
Have them watch this install video....

This makes me very afraid.

Mopar Rear Shocks Install.fw.png

DaddyEngineer

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Rubicon
Dang it, I was finally able to look at mine and 4WP put mine in wrong too.

Scott

Sponsored

Buckleup

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Jl 2.0
It’s pretty clear in the instructions. The good news is the second opinion will be good and it should be free to get it corrected.

19 JLUR Bright Whit3

First Name
Zeke
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2019 Stretched 2 door Rubi (LOL)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Retired Punisher
Vehicle Showcase
Besides the shocks being in the wrong place the blue labelled springs should be on the passenger's side. Doh!

OP
OP
Granizle

Granizle

First Name
J.P.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Besides the shocks being in the wrong place the blue labelled springs should be on the passenger's side. Doh!
And you are right, I went and snapped a pic of the blue tag on the front spring on the drivers side and matched it with the instructions I have and its supposed to be on the right rear. I’ve already brought it back to get the shocks swapped around and got RK track bars put in and they didn’t adjust the drag link so I ended up with an electronic stability control code flash up because the steering wheel was off center. These guys are pretty much incompetent and won’t be getting any further mods done there.

Halstem1

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Couple questions on this.... there is another thread going with a similar issue. The lovely person who posted that brought to my attention that my shocks are also installed backwards, front to rear.

What, if any, potential damage could be done by installing the shocks like this? Assuming the dealer is correcting and walking through each install step with you to insure it is correct. What potential damage could be done? Is there a need to replace the shocks? If I understand correctly, the bump stops in the front would be too short to keep the shock from bottoming out (since the rear shock is 3" longer). Could that cause damage? How about in the rear if they are fully extended and are 3" too short? Other than that, I think the black plastic covers being installed up front hit the shot tower on the frame scuffing them up. I'd like to argue that the dealer replace the shocks when they install correctly.

For what its worth.... the owner of the dealer and the service manager seemed really sorry. I have no idea what kind of education it takes to be a service tech. Based on several installs that have been wrong, I'm guessing not much. Sad.
Sponsored