Sponsored

opinion on 1st time lift kit....

lolamc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL unlimited sport
I'm brand new to owning a JL and so exicted to do the mods. I already bought the Bestop Sunrider and am LOVING it! next on the list is the 2.5in lift. what are your opinions on what i should get? i'll only be doing novice/beginner off roading & camping for the foreseeable future. planning on getting 35's too.
thanks for your input!
Sponsored

RedundanT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
You just went down the rabbit hole. You need to ask yourself a few questions first. How much is my budget, am I doing the work, do I just want clearance for tires or flex too. Get back and we'll give you 1500 answers.

Last edited:

GATORB8

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLURe
i'll only be doing novice/beginner off roading
Famous last words.

One thing to look out for is adjustable vs fixed components. The Jeep suspension is so modular that the primary difference(s) between heights in the better lifts are limited to the springs and (maybe) shocks.

Control arms (or geo brackets), track bars, sway bar (with quick disconnects in your case), and bump stop extensions are all available in adjustable flavors that will allow you to increase the lift without repurchasing items when you inevitable decide that "it's just not tall enough yet".

Important to note, a lot of lifts are based on Rubicon heights, which is an inch or so over your sport. That means a 2.5" lift may be 3.5-4" when you put it on. The TR video that @RagTopDeluxe mentioned will give you a taste of how much they can vary even with the Rub as a baseline.

Bump stop extension, not necessarily lift height, determines the amount of tire you can fit with stock fenders.

And, as @RedundanT mentioned, once you answer his questions, you'll get plenty of help and recommendations more specific to your situation.

SactoRubicon

First Name
Damon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon
I watched that video before I made my Icon purchase. The video is AWESOME at comparing apples to apples. My 2.5" lift, because the kit is installed on a 2 door looks more like a 4" lift, slightly more than if installed on a 4-door. It was a 2 month wait, cost about $2,000 + $1,000 install (nothing cheap in CA). Someday I'll update my profile with pictures...

Sponsored

GR8ESC

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon
I watched that video before I made my Icon purchase. The video is AWESOME at comparing apples to apples. My 2.5" lift, because the kit is installed on a 2 door looks more like a 4" lift, slightly more than if installed on a 4-door. It was a 2 month wait, cost about $2,000 + $1,000 install (nothing cheap in CA). Someday I'll update my profile with pictures...
Damon, which lift did you go with, and who did the install? I’m just outside of Sacramento.
Thanks, Gary

OP
OP

lolamc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL unlimited sport
Famous last words.

One thing to look out for is adjustable vs fixed components. The Jeep suspension is so modular that the primary difference(s) between heights in the better lifts are limited to the springs and (maybe) shocks.

Control arms (or geo brackets), track bars, sway bar (with quick disconnects in your case), and bump stop extensions are all available in adjustable flavors that will allow you to increase the lift without repurchasing items when you inevitable decide that "it's just not tall enough yet".

Important to note, a lot of lifts are based on Rubicon heights, which is an inch or so over your sport. That means a 2.5" lift may be 3.5-4" when you put it on. The TR video that @RagTopDeluxe mentioned will give you a taste of how much they can vary even with the Rub as a baseline.

Bump stop extension, not necessarily lift height, determines the amount of tire you can fit with stock fenders.

And, as @RedundanT mentioned, once you answer his questions, you'll get plenty of help and recommendations more specific to your situation.
You just went down the rabbit hole. You need to ask yourself a few questions first. How much is my budget, am I doing the work, do I just want clearance for tires or flex too. Get back and we'll give you 1500 answers.
i think i'm looking at the Teraflex 2.5 coil spring lift with 9550 shocks.....

AcesandEights

First Name
Aces
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Rubicon 2D, with extra guacamole
Occupation
I'm often occupied, by many things, often at the same time
I'd get the Teraflex spacer lift and the smallest tire you can put on there and clear the obstacles you want. Based on your original post, I can't see you needing anything taller than 1.5" spacer lift and 33" tires.
Sponsored