Opinion needed from pro differential guys

Upsidwn

First Name
Mat
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
If the correct install specs are followed and since it happened twice - may be worth while to measure the housing as well. I am not well versed in diffs, but do a lot of HD trans and engines (engineer for HD off road company in the Reman world). But conical bearings typically have a loading that is torque related. But sometimes that loading is set by the assembly. However, if the housing is not holding the race correctly, it could pinch the bearing. I apologize, I really dont know enough about diffs to speak intelligently, but I do recognize the material failure
That’s definitely something that isn’t an impossibility.

Did the OP have any issues with the stock gears in the housing?
Sponsored

OP
OP
Qjoh5510

Qjoh5510

First Name
Quinn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
Occupation
Operator
If the correct install specs are followed and since it happened twice - may be worth while to measure the housing as well. I am not well versed in diffs, but do a lot of HD trans and engines (engineer for HD off road company in the Reman world). But conical bearings typically have a loading that is torque related. But sometimes that loading is set by the assembly. However, if the housing is not holding the race correctly, it could pinch the bearing. I apologize, I really dont know enough about diffs to speak intelligently, but I do recognize the material failure
What you’re saying makes sense. It’s always a possibility. I appreciate the wisdom.

OP
OP
Qjoh5510

Qjoh5510

First Name
Quinn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
Occupation
Operator
That’s definitely something that isn’t an impossibility.

Did the OP have any issues with the stock gears in the housing?
No issues at all with the stock gears. They were quiet. The noise only started after the regear. According to the revolution rep there’s about 4 other cases other than mine nation wide where the same exact thing is happening, bad bearings and whine on deceleration and 3 of them at JL rubicon’s like mine and one is a JT Mojave. But they also have numerous regears that aren’t noisy. I’m hoping between mine and those other cases they figure something out. In another thread on here I’ve been commenting in the OP had the same issues and wound up paying again to switch to Dana spicer gears and the problem disappeared. Which is weird since these are Dana spicer bearings that revolution uses. At this point I’m wondering if there’s an incompatibility between the gears themselves and the Dana spicer master rebuild kits.

DOOKEY

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.tractionoffroad.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 GCM 392 - 2019 SG JLUR
Occupation
Wheel Pimp.
At this point I’m wondering if there’s an incompatibility between the gears themselves and the Dana spicer master rebuild kits.
I've been through this situation many times. Both professionally and as a consumer. The short answer is.... no way to tell. Without knowing exactly what happened you won't know how to fix it. Without all the pieces to the puzzle you won't find the truth about it. And the answers lie with Revolution. It sounds to me like they want to know and fix the issue so nobody has this problem in the future. That's great.

There are only theories we can examine and no way to know which one is true. So how do we point our finger at the problem? Your question about incompatibility may very well be the issue. It could also have been a missed heat treat on the bearing race you have shown. It could be the shop that did the install. It could be the gear set was machined at the absolute limit of the Revolution spec and they are causing the issue. It could be.... it could be.... it could be.

Man I hate not knowing. I hate finding out there is an issue and a "fix". Because the fix could easily cause more issues. I've been through gear install a bunch. I find the hard parts are not usually the issue and the installer is usually to blame. I've also seen a Detroit locker be .008 off true and cause issues.

Where are you now with the process? Are you able to try a different reputable shop?

OP
OP
Qjoh5510

Qjoh5510

First Name
Quinn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
Occupation
Operator
I've been through this situation many times. Both professionally and as a consumer. The short answer is.... no way to tell. Without knowing exactly what happened you won't know how to fix it. Without all the pieces to the puzzle you won't find the truth about it. And the answers lie with Revolution. It sounds to me like they want to know and fix the issue so nobody has this problem in the future. That's great.

There are only theories we can examine and no way to know which one is true. So how do we point our finger at the problem? Your question about incompatibility may very well be the issue. It could also have been a missed heat treat on the bearing race you have shown. It could be the shop that did the install. It could be the gear set was machined at the absolute limit of the Revolution spec and they are causing the issue. It could be.... it could be.... it could be.

Man I hate not knowing. I hate finding out there is an issue and a "fix". Because the fix could easily cause more issues. I've been through gear install a bunch. I find the hard parts are not usually the issue and the installer is usually to blame. I've also seen a Detroit locker be .008 off true and cause issues.

Where are you now with the process? Are you able to try a different reputable shop?
I hear ya. There’s just too many unknowns. Right now I’m still at the same spot in the process. They have the 1st set of gears at corporate and I have the second set in my jeep still. They told me to finish out the break in period and get back to them afterwards and we will go from there. I’m sure I can try another shop but this is the most reputable shop in the area. I’d probably have to travel out of state to find another with the same experience level with installing gears. I’m going to play this out under revolutions instruction and see where it goes. They’ve been super helpful so far so I don’t see them dropping off anytime soon. So I hope. Worst comes to worse I will have to make the switch to Dana spicer gears, which I should have just done in the first place. Only sucky part about that is I have a feeling I will not be reimbursed and will have to pay again. At least for the labor. I’ll continue to update this thread as updates come to me.

Sponsored

word302

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
I know several professional installers that absolutely refuse to install revolution gears.

OP
OP
Qjoh5510

Qjoh5510

First Name
Quinn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
Occupation
Operator
Updates? You promised.
Haha my bad. Well I got the second set of gears and bearings installed and nothing changed. It’s been about 2k miles since then. I have chosen to not pursue any further action with revolution as I believe it would just be a waste of my time, considering the shop is a little over an hour away. I don’t feel like making a bunch more trips out there and dragging my family along just to keep dropping off and picking up my jeep. The jeep drives just fine minus the noise inconvenience. My advice to all would be to stay clear of revolution and any other aftermarket company for now. Just do it right and use Dana spicer gears. If I ever come to any type of failure within the axles I will use that opportunity to switch to Dana spicer gears. But for now, I’ll let it be and turn the music up a little.
Sponsored