wibornz

First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Unlimited Rubicon
Occupation
Retired from Corrections....I have stories.
sarcasm dude. It looks good.
Zero offense taken. I am taking all kinds of crap from my normal Jeeping crew. I knew it was comming.
Sponsored

OP
OP
wibornz

wibornz

First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Unlimited Rubicon
Occupation
This was part of the trail run during my Mall Crawl.
Jeep Wrangler JL Operation Mall Crawler: Michigan to Virginia to collect 40s for the mall 1610304736523

Jeep Wrangler JL Operation Mall Crawler: Michigan to Virginia to collect 40s for the mall 1610304756116

Jeep Wrangler JL Operation Mall Crawler: Michigan to Virginia to collect 40s for the mall 1610304788072

Jeep Wrangler JL Operation Mall Crawler: Michigan to Virginia to collect 40s for the mall 1610304810771

There was a lot of winching and pulling out stock vehicles this day. I pulled out two vehicles that were stuck before we even made it on the first trail.

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL V6 SportS, (Retired 74 CJ-5, 80 CJ-7)
Occupation
Just ask @cosine he knows!
Your stories are always great reads, how much for the wheel/tire set if you don't mind me asking?

Seems like you brought home well over $2k worth of rubber & steel.

Thdoors

First Name
Dabber
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.6L 2021 JLU Sport 2LT 2015 Sport 3.6L
Occupation
Retired homicide detective
I see the 906 sticker on the back! You from the U.P.?

So I found a post on JLWranger for some 40s for sale in Virginia. I casually mention it to my wife that I found some take off 40s on wheels that I though I could get a good deal on, but we would have to drive to Virginia. Her eyes lit up and she screamed, "ROAD TRIP",and asked when we leaving? It was about two hours later, and we left. She is my Jeep co-enabler. She wants 1 tons, and a Hemi and bugs me all the time about it.

Made a deal for them and went and picked them up. Smooth transaction. Left Michigan on Wednesday with plans of being in Virginia on Thursday night and picking up the 40s on Friday. In doing this, I had to have slip away as I did not want my Jeeping buds to be like WTF you doing because if I took the Jeep, they would be pissed that I went across the country thinking I was Jeeping with out inviting them. So I borrowed the in-laws mini van to go get the 40s. Good thing I pulled some measurement first. They almost did not fit.
Jeep Wrangler JL Operation Mall Crawler: Michigan to Virginia to collect 40s for the mall 1610304810771

We giggled about sneaking off to pick up 40s for the whole trip because we knew what our Jeep friends would say. So as we got calls asking hey what's up, we downplayed it as just getting out of the house and doing a "non-jeep road trip". We posted up some pictures of The Flight 93 Memorial. Just a note about the Flight 93 Memorial. This has been on our bucket list of places to visit. Visiting during this time also gave us a time to reflect, gain some clarity, and remember that there are people that gave up everything to protect others. It was moving and we are glad we visited. We will go back when it is not so cold so that we can hike the area.

I also need to sit for a while when it is not freezing and listen to the chimes at the Tower of Voices.

We had time so we drove Sky Line Drive. We had to throw our Jeep peeps off our trail and enjoy some views. This was my wife's first time here. I have motorcycled it a few times over the years and knew she would enjoy it.

We pick up the 40s about noon on Friday and head home. It is a full ten hour drive and we both get several calls asking if we are going to be home in time to go wheeling on Saturday. Also cancel going to our monthly Jeeping Euchre card night where we raise money for a local charity as we will not be back in time.

We get home about 1030 at night and the floor jack and impact gun goes to work. By 1100 pm the JLUR is on 40s and none are the wiser. My neighbor comes home during the process and helps me swap the tires. Big thanks to him. 40s on, go for a quick test drive and flex the JLUR. It scrubs the tires lightly just in the back. Should be fine for the light wheeling that we are leaving for in 6 hours.....

I meet with my normal crew and they notice that something is different, and I play it off..... Remember, I just added the snorkel???? Duh. We drive up to northern Michigan and park at the meet up area and there is more time with my Jeep parked next to their Jeeps and it get noticed that my Jeep is a little bigger than theirs as we all pretty much run the same set up. Then they notice the wheels are different and one of them looks at the tires. LOL. we got teased all day on the radio. Had a great time wheeling and scrubbing the inner fenders.

My main buds were like are you really going to run 40s? I had to explain to them that this is mall crawling. I plan to run the 40s around town and not on the trail. I do not want to dump all the money into the Jeep to be able to wheel 40s. But hey around town and then keep the miles off my 37s that I do wheel with....... That is the plan. Pulling a camper and wheeling with 40s is just not in my plan for a reliable JLUR with out putting 50 more grand into the JLUR. Therefore Operation Mall Crawler was born.

There were over 30 Jeeps on the trail ride so more pics and videos are to come.

OP
OP
wibornz

wibornz

First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Unlimited Rubicon
Occupation
Your stories are always great reads, how much for the wheel/tire set if you don't mind me asking?

Seems like you brought home well over $2k worth of rubber & steel.
[/QUO
$950. They were priced right and worth the trip. I figure I can run them for the year sell them and get most to all my money back.

Sponsored

OP
OP
wibornz

wibornz

First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Unlimited Rubicon
Occupation
I see the 906 sticker on the back! You from the U.P.?
I am not from the UP, but I have jeeped it, motorcycled it, snowmobiled it, and atv/SxS the UP. I have been running the trails one way or another for 30 years in the UP

Thdoors

First Name
Dabber
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.6L 2021 JLU Sport 2LT 2015 Sport 3.6L
Occupation
Retired homicide detective
I am not from the UP, but I have jeeped it, motorcycled it, snowmobiled it, and atv/SxS the UP. I have been running the trails one way or another for 30 years in the UP
Nice...I was born and raised in Iron Mountain. went to college up there too.

Punknhed

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Punkin Rubi XR
So I found a post on JLWranger for some 40s for sale in Virginia. I casually mention it to my wife that I found some take off 40s on wheels that I though I could get a good deal on, but we would have to drive to Virginia. Her eyes lit up and she screamed, "ROAD TRIP",and asked when we leaving? It was about two hours later, and we left. She is my Jeep co-enabler. She wants 1 tons, and a Hemi and bugs me all the time about it.

Made a deal for them and went and picked them up. Smooth transaction. Left Michigan on Wednesday with plans of being in Virginia on Thursday night and picking up the 40s on Friday. In doing this, I had to have slip away as I did not want my Jeeping buds to be like WTF you doing because if I took the Jeep, they would be pissed that I went across the country thinking I was Jeeping with out inviting them. So I borrowed the in-laws mini van to go get the 40s. Good thing I pulled some measurement first. They almost did not fit.

We giggled about sneaking off to pick up 40s for the whole trip because we knew what our Jeep friends would say. So as we got calls asking hey what's up, we downplayed it as just getting out of the house and doing a "non-jeep road trip". We posted up some pictures of The Flight 93 Memorial. Just a note about the Flight 93 Memorial. This has been on our bucket list of places to visit. Visiting during this time also gave us a time to reflect, gain some clarity, and remember that there are people that gave up everything to protect others. It was moving and we are glad we visited. We will go back when it is not so cold so that we can hike the area.

I also need to sit for a while when it is not freezing and listen to the chimes at the Tower of Voices.

We had time so we drove Sky Line Drive. We had to throw our Jeep peeps off our trail and enjoy some views. This was my wife's first time here. I have motorcycled it a few times over the years and knew she would enjoy it.

We pick up the 40s about noon on Friday and head home. It is a full ten hour drive and we both get several calls asking if we are going to be home in time to go wheeling on Saturday. Also cancel going to our monthly Jeeping Euchre card night where we raise money for a local charity as we will not be back in time.

We get home about 1030 at night and the floor jack and impact gun goes to work. By 1100 pm the JLUR is on 40s and none are the wiser. My neighbor comes home during the process and helps me swap the tires. Big thanks to him. 40s on, go for a quick test drive and flex the JLUR. It scrubs the tires lightly just in the back. Should be fine for the light wheeling that we are leaving for in 6 hours.....

I meet with my normal crew and they notice that something is different, and I play it off..... Remember, I just added the snorkel???? Duh. We drive up to northern Michigan and park at the meet up area and there is more time with my Jeep parked next to their Jeeps and it get noticed that my Jeep is a little bigger than theirs as we all pretty much run the same set up. Then they notice the wheels are different and one of them looks at the tires. LOL. we got teased all day on the radio. Had a great time wheeling and scrubbing the inner fenders.

My main buds were like are you really going to run 40s? I had to explain to them that this is mall crawling. I plan to run the 40s around town and not on the trail. I do not want to dump all the money into the Jeep to be able to wheel 40s. But hey around town and then keep the miles off my 37s that I do wheel with....... That is the plan. Pulling a camper and wheeling with 40s is just not in my plan for a reliable JLUR with out putting 50 more grand into the JLUR. Therefore Operation Mall Crawler was born.

There were over 30 Jeeps on the trail ride so more pics and videos are to come.
where did you pick them up at ? just curious. im in Va. wish i had known you guys were coming could have had lunch or something.....

OP
OP
wibornz

wibornz

First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Unlimited Rubicon
Occupation
where did you pick them up at ? just curious. im in Va. wish i had known you guys were coming could have had lunch or something.....
We were in Virginia on Thursday and Friday.

Sponsored

OP
OP
wibornz

wibornz

First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Unlimited Rubicon
Occupation
Which fenders are you running and what additional lighting is under there? Looks awesome!
They are the stock fender flares. I changed out the inner fender liner and put on the American Adventure Lab Lights.

They can be found at this link.

https://americanadventurelab.com/product/jeep-jl-high-line-fender-brace-with-daytime-running-lights/

and the lights under the turn signals.

https://americanadventurelab.com/product/trail-light-for-jl-jt-high-line-fender-brackets/

Black Jeep Convertible

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.amazon.com
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLU Sport S 2.0T eTorque
Occupation
Amazon Influencer šŸ˜‚
Still canā€™t believe you went on a road trip with a minivan instead of your JL... thatā€™s blasphemou!

OP
OP
wibornz

wibornz

First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Unlimited Rubicon
Occupation
Subscribed. I give it hmmmm, letā€™s say 6 months and you will be posting here the things you are doing to run 40ā€™s full time.
I am thinking hydro steer at the end of the month first part of February. We are not going to run 40s full time. I think to run 40s full time and actually wheel them consist of about $23,000 in upgrades with out an engine swap. I plan to wheel from Arizona to Alaska and explore all the western states starting in 2022 for 10+ months at a time. Everything I have been doing to my JLUR is to build dependability and durability into the Jeep. 40s fit no where in this equation. 37s are a great balance for what we are going to do.

Also the people that I know that have went to 40s are broke down on the trail often and may of them say they wish that they would have never went to 40s as it takes a lot of the fun out of wheeling because there is no challenge left.
Sponsored