wibornz

First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Unlimited Rubicon
Occupation
Retired from Corrections....I have stories.
So I found a post on JLWranger for some 40s for sale in Virginia. I casually mention it to my wife that I found some take off 40s on wheels that I though I could get a good deal on, but we would have to drive to Virginia. Her eyes lit up and she screamed, "ROAD TRIP",and asked when we leaving? It was about two hours later, and we left. She is my Jeep co-enabler. She wants 1 tons, and a Hemi and bugs me all the time about it.

Made a deal for them and went and picked them up. Smooth transaction. Left Michigan on Wednesday with plans of being in Virginia on Thursday night and picking up the 40s on Friday. In doing this, I had to have slip away as I did not want my Jeeping buds to be like WTF you doing because if I took the Jeep, they would be pissed that I went across the country thinking I was Jeeping with out inviting them. So I borrowed the in-laws mini van to go get the 40s. Good thing I pulled some measurement first. They almost did not fit.
Jeep Wrangler JL Operation Mall Crawler: Michigan to Virginia to collect 40s for the mall 1610286850816

We giggled about sneaking off to pick up 40s for the whole trip because we knew what our Jeep friends would say. So as we got calls asking hey what's up, we downplayed it as just getting out of the house and doing a "non-jeep road trip". We posted up some pictures of The Flight 93 Memorial. Just a note about the Flight 93 Memorial. This has been on our bucket list of places to visit. Visiting during this time also gave us a time to reflect, gain some clarity, and remember that there are people that gave up everything to protect others. It was moving and we are glad we visited. We will go back when it is not so cold so that we can hike the area.

Jeep Wrangler JL Operation Mall Crawler: Michigan to Virginia to collect 40s for the mall 1610287317402

I also need to sit for a while when it is not freezing and listen to the chimes at the Tower of Voices.
Jeep Wrangler JL Operation Mall Crawler: Michigan to Virginia to collect 40s for the mall 1610287451301

We had time so we drove Sky Line Drive. We had to throw our Jeep peeps off our trail and enjoy some views. This was my wife's first time here. I have motorcycled it a few times over the years and knew she would enjoy it.
Jeep Wrangler JL Operation Mall Crawler: Michigan to Virginia to collect 40s for the mall 1610287668273

Jeep Wrangler JL Operation Mall Crawler: Michigan to Virginia to collect 40s for the mall 1610287738491

Jeep Wrangler JL Operation Mall Crawler: Michigan to Virginia to collect 40s for the mall 1610287818946

Jeep Wrangler JL Operation Mall Crawler: Michigan to Virginia to collect 40s for the mall 1610287892889

We pick up the 40s about noon on Friday and head home. It is a full ten hour drive and we both get several calls asking if we are going to be home in time to go wheeling on Saturday. Also cancel going to our monthly Jeeping Euchre card night where we raise money for a local charity as we will not be back in time.

We get home about 1030 at night and the floor jack and impact gun goes to work. By 1100 pm the JLUR is on 40s and none are the wiser. My neighbor comes home during the process and helps me swap the tires. Big thanks to him. 40s on, go for a quick test drive and flex the JLUR. It scrubs the tires lightly just in the back. Should be fine for the light wheeling that we are leaving for in 6 hours.....

I meet with my normal crew and they notice that something is different, and I play it off..... Remember, I just added the snorkel???? Duh. We drive up to northern Michigan and park at the meet up area and there is more time with my Jeep parked next to their Jeeps and it get noticed that my Jeep is a little bigger than theirs as we all pretty much run the same set up. Then they notice the wheels are different and one of them looks at the tires. LOL. we got teased all day on the radio. Had a great time wheeling and scrubbing the inner fenders.

Jeep Wrangler JL Operation Mall Crawler: Michigan to Virginia to collect 40s for the mall 1610288551507

Jeep Wrangler JL Operation Mall Crawler: Michigan to Virginia to collect 40s for the mall 1610288600861

Jeep Wrangler JL Operation Mall Crawler: Michigan to Virginia to collect 40s for the mall 1610288636741

My main buds were like are you really going to run 40s? I had to explain to them that this is mall crawling. I plan to run the 40s around town and not on the trail. I do not want to dump all the money into the Jeep to be able to wheel 40s. But hey around town and then keep the miles off my 37s that I do wheel with....... That is the plan. Pulling a camper and wheeling with 40s is just not in my plan for a reliable JLUR with out putting 50 more grand into the JLUR. Therefore Operation Mall Crawler was born.

There were over 30 Jeeps on the trail ride so more pics and videos are to come.
Sponsored

SouthCo

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Billet Silver Sahara
Awesome story and nice pics! It's great you and your wife were able to get away for a quick trip and score some wheels and tires. Also sweet you all could surprise your buds with the different setup!

DEdney1775

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 2.0 Sport
Awesome!! What part of Michigan do you wheel? I'm from a small town just south of Grand Rapids. Left there in 93 & never looked back. Too cold! Lol

MichaelAnthony

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Rubicon JLUR, 97 Centurion Dually 7.3, 97 Classy Chassis Dually 7.3, 2016 Ultra Classic CVO
Vehicle Showcase
Bro really..... you know I was chasing those wheels and tires as well and that was the idea I had exactly..... now you had to post up a thread about it???? trip looks awesome.... and congrats on the 40s bro they really look nice..... :like:

Dan M.

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 sport (2 door)
Moral of the story, your wife is awesome!!! I love my wife more than anything, but she is not into Jeeps at all.

Sponsored

Kurt0

First Name
Kurt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Mojave
Occupation
IG Model and Influencer
So I found a post on JLWranger for some 40s for sale in Virginia. I casually mention it to my wife that I found some take off 40s on wheels that I though I could get a good deal on, but we would have to drive to Virginia. Her eyes lit up and she screamed, "ROAD TRIP",and asked when we leaving? It was about two hours later, and we left. She is my Jeep co-enabler. She wants 1 tons, and a Hemi and bugs me all the time about it.

Made a deal for them and went and picked them up. Smooth transaction. Left Michigan on Wednesday with plans of being in Virginia on Thursday night and picking up the 40s on Friday. In doing this, I had to have slip away as I did not want my Jeeping buds to be like WTF you doing because if I took the Jeep, they would be pissed that I went across the country thinking I was Jeeping with out inviting them. So I borrowed the in-laws mini van to go get the 40s. Good thing I pulled some measurement first. They almost did not fit.
Jeep Wrangler JL Operation Mall Crawler: Michigan to Virginia to collect 40s for the mall 1610288636741

We giggled about sneaking off to pick up 40s for the whole trip because we knew what our Jeep friends would say. So as we got calls asking hey what's up, we downplayed it as just getting out of the house and doing a "non-jeep road trip". We posted up some pictures of The Flight 93 Memorial. Just a note about the Flight 93 Memorial. This has been on our bucket list of places to visit. Visiting during this time also gave us a time to reflect, gain some clarity, and remember that there are people that gave up everything to protect others. It was moving and we are glad we visited. We will go back when it is not so cold so that we can hike the area.

I also need to sit for a while when it is not freezing and listen to the chimes at the Tower of Voices.

We had time so we drove Sky Line Drive. We had to throw our Jeep peeps off our trail and enjoy some views. This was my wife's first time here. I have motorcycled it a few times over the years and knew she would enjoy it.

We pick up the 40s about noon on Friday and head home. It is a full ten hour drive and we both get several calls asking if we are going to be home in time to go wheeling on Saturday. Also cancel going to our monthly Jeeping Euchre card night where we raise money for a local charity as we will not be back in time.

We get home about 1030 at night and the floor jack and impact gun goes to work. By 1100 pm the JLUR is on 40s and none are the wiser. My neighbor comes home during the process and helps me swap the tires. Big thanks to him. 40s on, go for a quick test drive and flex the JLUR. It scrubs the tires lightly just in the back. Should be fine for the light wheeling that we are leaving for in 6 hours.....

I meet with my normal crew and they notice that something is different, and I play it off..... Remember, I just added the snorkel???? Duh. We drive up to northern Michigan and park at the meet up area and there is more time with my Jeep parked next to their Jeeps and it get noticed that my Jeep is a little bigger than theirs as we all pretty much run the same set up. Then they notice the wheels are different and one of them looks at the tires. LOL. we got teased all day on the radio. Had a great time wheeling and scrubbing the inner fenders.

My main buds were like are you really going to run 40s? I had to explain to them that this is mall crawling. I plan to run the 40s around town and not on the trail. I do not want to dump all the money into the Jeep to be able to wheel 40s. But hey around town and then keep the miles off my 37s that I do wheel with....... That is the plan. Pulling a camper and wheeling with 40s is just not in my plan for a reliable JLUR with out putting 50 more grand into the JLUR. Therefore Operation Mall Crawler was born.

There were over 30 Jeeps on the trail ride so more pics and videos are to come.
looks like a fun trip; although it was a wasted trip imo. 40ā€™s might be good enough for some trails, but it wonā€™t get you anywhere on the ā€˜gram.

thatā€™s why the dude sold them. He realized he needed to move up to 42ā€™s. Youā€™ll get there when youā€™re done small ballinā€™.

RockyMtJL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Rubicon Unlimited
Looks badass! Good story too. How much trimming do you think it will require to fit without rub? What inner fenders do you have?

CJACKZ

First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR, 2003 Expedition, 2003 C230 kompressor
Occupation
Making Trash
Awesome story! Your rig looks great sitting on the 40ā€™s. SNP/Skyline Drive is pretty cool.

OP
OP
wibornz

wibornz

First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Unlimited Rubicon
Occupation
Awesome!! What part of Michigan do you wheel? I'm from a small town just south of Grand Rapids. Left there in 93 & never looked back. Too cold! Lol
We wheel all over Michigan. From the top of the UP to the bottom of the LP. We are from Lansing.

OP
OP
wibornz

wibornz

First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Unlimited Rubicon
Occupation
Bro really..... you know I was chasing those wheels and tires as well and that was the idea I had exactly..... now you had to post up a thread about it???? trip looks awesome.... and congrats on the 40s bro they really look nice..... :like:
I was not even chasing tires. The tires were really just a reason for a road trip. I sold the wheels off the other set that I bought and they are just sitting until I mount them on the bead locks. When the 40s got posted I thought to myself, I could use these for mall crawling and keep the miles off my 37s that I wheel with.

Sponsored

cosine

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Sport jl
Occupation
Gone Postal
awesone post and a great road trip. the 40s look good on the jl. i second your wife's idea in swapping to d60s and a hemi. all you have to do is find a wrecked dodge with a hemi and a wrecked 1 ton truck for the axles.

OP
OP
wibornz

wibornz

First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Unlimited Rubicon
Occupation
Moral of the story, your wife is awesome!!! I love my wife more than anything, but she is not into Jeeps at all.
You might me luckier than you know. My wife is constantly like.. "We NEED a Hemi!!!" "Hey one tons are awesome." I will show her something I like or think is cool on a Jeep and she will be like.. "BUY IT!!!!" She is working a ton of overtime and she is looks at things like that is two days of Overtime. BUY IT. I have to real her in at time. We made a trip to Americas Most Wanted 4x4 and got a quote for 1 tons and a SRT Hemi swap. She was ready to pay the $65,000 and give them the keys to let them start. On our way home, I am like we could keep the Jeep the way it is and have a 2020 Corvette too. She was like fuck that, put the Hemi in the Jeep.

OP
OP
wibornz

wibornz

First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Unlimited Rubicon
Occupation
looks like a fun trip; although it was a wasted trip imo. 40ā€™s might be good enough for some trails, but it wonā€™t get you anywhere on the ā€˜gram.

thatā€™s why the dude sold them. He realized he needed to move up to 42ā€™s. Youā€™ll get there when youā€™re done small ballinā€™.
While I do gram here in there. I do not consider the gram to be important. I do already get there. Mall Crawling is for fun. I wheel all over the US. Very few can say they have been even half the places that I have been in the last six months in their entire wheeling history.

OP
OP
wibornz

wibornz

First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Unlimited Rubicon
Occupation
Looks badass! Good story too. How much trimming do you think it will require to fit without rub? What inner fenders do you have?
Trimming will not help. I would need a bigger lift. I am already running gutted fender flares. I could add some different wheels or spacers and push the tires out a little farther, but at the end of the day, I am not interested in doing that as I build the JLUR to get rid of weakness and improve durability, 40s are a step back for that process. We will wheel from Arizona to Alaska starting in less than a year. 40s will not be an asset for that type of wheeling trip.

Kurt0

First Name
Kurt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Mojave
Occupation
IG Model and Influencer
While I do gram here in there. I do not consider the gram to be important. I do already get there. Mall Crawling is for fun. I wheel all over the US. Very few can say they have been even half the places that I have been in the last six months in their entire wheeling history.
sarcasm dude. It looks good.
Sponsored