First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2dr Rubicon Snazzberry
Occupation
USN Submariner (ret), IT Analyst/Network Engineer
I know you can’t open the doors while backing up, but can you do it while driving down the road...say at 45mph or so, like when a large bug flies in by your floorboard, and you want to suck it out? Has anyone done this? I’m afraid to do so, as I’m not sure what would happen.
Sponsored

Sean L

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 2017 Honda Accord, 2014 Yamaha XVS 1300
Occupation
Retired Marine, Construction Estimator
Vehicle Showcase
I know you can’t open the doors while backing up, but can you do it while driving down the road...say at 45mph or so, like when a large bug flies in by your floorboard, and you want to suck it out? Has anyone done this? I’m afraid to do so, as I’m not sure what would happen.
I would guess that there is a limit to when autopark would engage as doing that at speed will just destroy the park pawl. As far as the bug, if it bothers you that much It would probably be safer and less of a distraction to pull over and then brush the bug out.

D60

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
Yeah, it won't go into AP unless you're doing like 1-2 mph. I don't know what the threshold is but mine did go into Park while I was rolling slowly

Nanny state...yay.....UGH

Sean L

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Yeah, it won't go into AP unless you're doing like 1-2 mph. I don't know what the threshold is but mine did go into Park while I was rolling slowly

Nanny state...yay.....UGH
I noticed that shutting the Jeep off while in neutral results in an autopark as well... so that frustrated our plans to get the Jeep positioned on the lift by pushing it. When I remembered to pull the tab it was already in position when I got the cover off and the tab locked up... :facepalm:

Shots

First Name
Winchell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Rubicon
IIRC, if your seat belt is on it won't go into autopark with the door open even if you're going slow. So, no there shouldn't be an issue with your bug removal.

Sponsored

OP
OP
KrispyKotex

KrispyKotex

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2dr Rubicon Snazzberry
Occupation
USN Submariner (ret), IT Analyst/Network Engineer
Thanks for the answer everyone. A wasp flew in the other day near wife's feet. She went to open the door to suck it out, but I had to hurry up and get off the road real quick due to this feature. I started to freak out when she was wanting to open the door while driving.

Sean L

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks for the answer everyone. A wasp flew in the other day near wife's feet. She went to open the door to suck it out, but I had to hurry up and get off the road real quick due to this feature. I started to freak out when she was wanting to open the door while driving.
Ah, Wasp... Urgency is understood now, they'll sting you for existing...

Roky

First Name
Roky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
@Shots is correct if seatbelt is fastened there’s no issue, I use these when I’m doing shit that I don’t want to buckle and unbuckle....:)

1A677777-BB85-4A19-8BB6-AC43AE48E69B.jpeg

mwilk012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ocean Blue JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Service
Is your seat belt buckled?

BillG

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Sting Gray JLUR / 15 Harley Tri glide / 50 Dodge Rat pickup
For future reference, although auto park disengages at speed, it also disengages with pressure on the brakes. So if you have to open the door at speed, even if you drop below the speed threshold it won’t engage if you are slowing down and touching the brake. As soon as you drop below that threshold without touching the brake, you’ll be slammed into park.
Sponsored