Open vs. concealed carry

Drytellsr

First Name
Dave
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
I have my CCW and open carry is fine with me but my concern with open carry is that some scumbag is gonna watch you like a hawk and study your movements. he will wait his turn and move in for the assault. He will study your holster and determine how to relieve you of your pistol. He will wait till your guard is down and when you are alone. If he has the upper hand he will move quickly. Being on 100% alert, 100% of the time is exhausting and takes its toll. I think the best way to get an upper hand on a bad guy is to not let them know your armed.

Jeepsk8

Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
I conceal carry when I can. I'm not allowed to carry at work and I will not leave a gun unattended in a vehicle, so most of the time I'm not carrying. I'm all for people open or concealed carrying, but I have to shake my head when I see some schmoo open carrying a full size 1911 with colored accents and punisher grips in a nylon holster on a floppy belt that's pulling his shorts down so his ass crack is showing. For God's sake, if you're gonna gear up, do it right!

BrntWS6

Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUS, 2002 WS6
I saw a video recently where two guys tried to rob an old man who was OC'ing watering his grass. Of course he pulled out his gun and they left. but he needs some practice or a new holster because it came off his belt. Criminals are pretty fucking stupid.

aro

First Name
Nick
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
I support open carry as a matter of principle, but I believe it's an unwise tactical decision.

Reactions: omg

BADBREW

First Name
Ross
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Rubicon JLUR
Conceal Carry...for the obvious reasons stated. Never “advertise” yourself to the bad guy. Stay in the background. Maintain tactical advantage. Train.

Hound Dog

First Name
Don
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Rubicon, 2002 TJ Rustomatic
There is no tactile advantage of some guy walking up and sticking a gun in your face faster than you can fumble for a CCW. Yea, train! I am sure there is the ability to be the tactical ninja that can take out ten seal team members and 5 mossad members with one hand and a toothpick.

Reality is your average thug is going to look for the easy target. Oh, I see you have a gun? Hmmmm, I'll move on to the hundred pound granny with all the jewelry.

Virginia was once a great state. Northam and his cronies bought by Bloomberg are dismantling this now. It is hard to tell where you can and can't carry at all now here in Northern VA. I will CC until we win our freedom back.

Open carry is also a good way to get the general sheltered sheep used to seeing people with guns and not pee themselves. It is a great thing to be able to defend yourself.

aro

First Name
Nick
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
There is no tactile advantage of some guy walking up and sticking a gun in your face faster than you can fumble for a CCW.
If somebody sticks a gun in your face, you already lost the initiative. Open carry won't help you anymore. If you think you can draw and engage successfully with a gun in your face... well, good luck. Enjoy the big light on the other side.

Oh, I see you have a gun? Hmmmm, I'll move on to the hundred pound granny with all the jewelry.
Or I'll take you out first

Hound Dog

First Name
Don
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
If somebody sticks a gun in your face, you already lost the initiative. Open carry won't help you anymore. If you think you can draw and engage successfully with a gun in your face... well, good luck. Enjoy the big light on the other side.

Or I'll take you out first
No you won't. You will tuck tail and look for the helpless old lady to beat on.

aro

First Name
Nick
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
No you won't. You will tuck tail and look for the helpless old lady to beat on.
You are an optimist. Since it's my life in play, I prefer to be paranoid.

You haven't explained how open carry helps you if a BG sticks a gun in your face.

Hound Dog

First Name
Don
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Reality is your average thug is going to look for the easy target. Oh, I see you have a gun? Hmmmm, I'll move on to the hundred pound granny with all the jewelry.

Because it will discourage the BG from doing it. Most are pathetic losers and will choose to prey upon the weak first.

This is part you parsed out from my earlier post.

I typed it slower this time so it will be easier to read.

aro

First Name
Nick
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
Because it will discourage the BG from doing it. Most are pathetic losers and will choose to prey upon the weak first.

This is part you parsed out from my earlier post.

I typed it slower this time so it will be easier to read.
Believe it or not, but I understood what you meant. It's not like you said anything new...

I agree that some bg's will give up when they see an open carry, but are you willing to bet your life that all of them will give up?

What if one of them is so out of his mind and desperate for a score that he sees you only as an obstacle between him and some cash? If there is even a 1% chance that this could happen, that's enough for me to not open carry. As I said, I'm paranoid about my life.

aro

First Name
Nick
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
No, I don't just want to argue. It's different opinions, since there are no perfect, ideal solutions.

Open carry - decrease danger from low level bg's, but increase danger from a determined bg
Concealed - increase danger from low level bg's, but decrease danger from a determined bg

Personally, I would rather deal with the latter. You choose the former. Fine.

One last thing. The argument that you need open carry to draw quick like Billy the Kid is ridiculous. Totally ridiculous. Besides, if you conceal at 2-3 o'clock with an unbuttoned shirt, and train like that, which anyone should do anyway, you can draw just as fast.

aro

First Name
Nick
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
Maybe you watched too many Western movies...? What's with the gunslinger draw? I can tell that you have zero training and experience drawing from 2 o'clock while concealed.

aro

First Name
Nick
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
Every single time you mention this "operator" thing... but it's you who wants to draw real quickly.

You never heard of IDPA? You have old, overweight guys and housewives who draw from concealment. You obviously would be shocked how quickly they do that. All you need is consistent training, which people should do anyway if they carry. There is no secret "operator" sauce.

Open carry could be a fraction of a second quicker, sure, but... again... what's with the gunslinger draw? Why the need?

aro

First Name
Nick
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
Nope.. it's that reading comprehension thing that's tripping you up again.

You have to stop taking advice from the other kids playing in their moms basements. Get outside a bit, enjoy some sunlight and fresh air. It will do you a world of good.
When you don't have arguments, attack the person.

ATO4x4