Open vs. concealed carry

OceanBlues

First Name
Steven
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport
I live in a state that allows both (NC, CCW with permit). I like the idea of open carry. It's our constitutional right and we shouldn't be ashamed to be armed, but it also makes us an obvious first target for an active shooter.

I don't carry at the moment. Right now the Mrs. and I each have a shot gun on our respective sides of the bed, but we've talked about getting something we can carry. Does anybody have any opinions on open vs concealed carry?

UKCATS

Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon 2 door/2020 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
I play piano in a whorehouse
I agree with what you said, it is our constitutional right and we should not be ashamed to open carry. It would be so much easier, and more comfortable. However, in today’s society with all the sensitive snowflakes, and the loss of tactical advantage, I wouldn’t do it. I just don’t feel comfortable with it.

Germansheperd

First Name
Ted
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU, 2019 HD FLHXS, 2018 Taurus, 2008 Mustang GT, 1994 Z28
Probably better concealed. All it takes is one snowflake to call the cops on you and it can get ugly and escalate so why even go down that rabbit hole?

Wabujitsu

First Name
Jeff
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport on 33s w/LSD, 2020 Sahara
Occupation
Retired US Army
Vehicle Showcase
I support open-carry. If FL becomes an open-carry state, I will continue to carry concealed, to avoid making myself a first target to an active shooter.

X99104

First Name
Andy
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 JLUR
I would agree on the concealed. I am a resident of an open carry state (NM). For me it is a last resort, not to make a statement. As I told the EX while we were married, you see the gun, I am out of options and intend on using it. With the way things are now-a-days why ask to be harassed?

BrntWS6

Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUS, 2002 WS6
I think it can go both ways. You see a group of guys OC'ing people may be on their best behavior.

Buckster

First Name
Matt
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 billet silver JLUR, '16 Grand Cherokee Overland, '12 BMW 328i cab
Occupation
Power Generation
Vehicle Showcase
Agree with CC. I would just as soon not advertise that I am armed, but it adds to my personal level of comfort when I am out and about.
@UKCATS "tactical advantage" is well stated.

00Sebby

First Name
Mark
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
Occupation
Ex-auto quality engr & mgt. Now just enjoy life.
I live in gun-friendly Tennessee, love guns, have a CCP, etc. However, the open carry thing bugs me. Too many people do it more to make a statement than out of necessity. It's intimidating or at least uncomfortable to a lot people to see someone other than a cop carrying a gun in a convenient store or Walmart. And there's way to many yahoos that live here that have a "Just give me a reason" attitude. It kills me to see the back-pocket .45 cocked and locked sans holster. Unless you're out hunting or on private land, I don't see the purpose or benefit of OC vs CC other than to make a statement.

As an example of my thought process, I think people who don't like hunting can still support/respect the right to hunt but become anti-hunters due to belligerent, disrespectful hunters.

I also think people who don't like guns can still support/respect the rights of gun owners but can become anti-2nd Amend when they see irresponsible gun owners, or perceive that guns are being "pushed in their face" by things like open carry and brandishing. I know brandishing is not the same as OC but to the less understanding masses it may feel like the same thing.

crazychile

Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Wrangler JK, 2018 Wrangler JLU
When I took my CCP class (taught by a retired police officer), one of the first topics that came up was concealed vs. open carry. Even though it may be your right he was adamantly against open carry for the following reasons:

1. You're going to be the first target when a bad guy decides to start shooting.
2. You will have to be on guard every second you open carry, that someone may surprise you, take it, and use it against you.
3. Despite being legal, stupid people will get scared and call the cops. Cops will have to respond to investigate. You don't need that hassle.
4. Some cops get nervous around open carry and have to make a decision if they think you're up to something.

And my own additional reason...If you must go into a business that is a gun free zone, concealed will go unnoticed. Note that I am talking about businesses that have a self declared policy, vs. a legal gun free zone like a courthouse. One is a policy, the other is law.

OP
OceanBlues

OceanBlues

First Name
Steven
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport
Good points all around.

I had a baseball coach growing up that was a detective, so he always showed up to practice in a suit (not a uniform) and open carrying. Maybe because of this, I often assume somebody that is open carrying is still some form of law enforcement, so I never felt like it was a big deal, but maybe I'm naive.

Being the obvious first target has always been my hang-up for it, however.

Notorious

First Name
Kevin
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 TJ Sahara
Licensed open carry in Texas is allowed except in places where there are legal signs prohibiting it.

I prefer to carry concealed and outside the waistband. I get away with it because I usually wear full sleeve, long shirts untucked that do a nice job of concealing my weapon.

In the colder months, I’ll wear a thin zippered down jacket that makes my OTW carry indiscreet and makes it concealed.

Other times when it gets very hot outside, I carry concealed and inside the waistband.

Kluk Ztopolovky

First Name
Kluk
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler JL Sport 2dr Sting Gray manual
I live in a state that allows both (NC, CCW with permit). I like the idea of open carry. It's our constitutional right and we shouldn't be ashamed to be armed, but it also makes us an obvious first target for an active shooter.

I don't carry at the moment. Right now the Mrs. and I each have a shot gun on our respective sides of the bed, but we've talked about getting something we can carry. Does anybody have any opinions on open vs concealed carry?

open should be anybody's right in a free society but I personally would prefer option number two

Bamaprof

First Name
Mark
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon JLU EcoDiesel, 2018 Ram 3500 6.7 Dually
Occupation
Professor
Vehicle Showcase

I concealed carry 40+ years, now in the current political and social environment, starting about a month ago, I open carry - as both a deterrent and statement. I see more people open carrying in Alabama every day.

BrntWS6

Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUS, 2002 WS6
I will tell you what. Entire communities coming out patrolling streets with their rifles like Idaho would sure make me feel more comfortable. I for one would love to be a part of something like that in response to these fascist pussies threatening to loot.

Funny how when word of this gets out they decide to pick another town.

JocoRubicon

First Name
Brian
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Rubicon
as stated in the thread open carry should be something we feel free to do. In the not so distant past it was nothing to see a pickup with a gun rack in the window, with guns resting on it. These days it's not worth the risk. I have open carried here in NC but only when I was with others who were also open carrying and almost always when we were going to/coming from a range. I also almost always conceal carry. I also believe strongly in 2 is 1 and 1 is none, so I always have a secondary even when open carrying.

The ranges we usually go to are not in heavily populated (more liberal/snowflake) areas....when we go to ones in town, we never open carry. Too many people can cause you issues just by calling the cops or video taping you. I've had some friends get dox'd by "social justice warriors" simply for exercising their rights.

For me it's not worth the potential confrontations, impacts to either my or my wife's job or anything else to open carry as a general rule. Find a good place to take the CCW class, understand the limitations for carrying (because there are plenty) and find the right gun/holster combo for you. Also make sure you submit all your paperwork correctly, some counties will reject you for anything out of standards.

JTopsUSA