David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Sport
Occupation
Software & Coastal Engineer
Hey all,

I'm going to be passing through Colorado probably next week. I am interested in doing some hiking and camping, but I've read conflicting information online about what's open and what's not. I'm perfectly comfortable camping in a National Forest either near my car or hiking a couple miles. I don't have my water purifier with me, so full-on, back-country camping for multiple days is out :(.

I was thinking about spending a few days around Grand Junction/Grand Mesa and then a few days around State Forest or Roosevelt National Forest. Anyone have any recommended areas that are open right now? Or is this going to be a pretty terrible time to try to find a site due to crowds?

Any recommendations or advice highly welcomed.
Thanks!
Sponsored

kelvinator

First Name
Kelvin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon
Hey all,

I'm going to be passing through Colorado probably next week. I am interested in doing some hiking and camping, but I've read conflicting information online about what's open and what's not. I'm perfectly comfortable camping in a National Forest either near my car or hiking a couple miles. I don't have my water purifier with me, so full-on, back-country camping for multiple days is out :(.

I was thinking about spending a few days around Grand Junction/Grand Mesa and then a few days around State Forest or Roosevelt National Forest. Anyone have any recommended areas that are open right now? Or is this going to be a pretty terrible time to try to find a site due to crowds?

Any recommendations or advice highly welcomed.
Thanks!
I live in Chaffee County (SE of your intended route), and it's more certainly more crowded on weekends. If you're willing to wheel out to remote BLM or national forest areas, there are plenty of unoccupied dispersed campsites without crowds or anybody for that matter (even on weekends). I'm sure all public lands are open. San Isabel Nat'l Forest and Collegiate Peaks and Buffalo Peaks Wilderness in my hood are open, anyway. Be aware of fire bans. There's one here; although, many campers are totally ignoring it. Terrible time?!? It's Colorado - how can it be terrible? ;)

OP
OP
OminousSkitter

OminousSkitter

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Sport
Occupation
I live in Chaffee County (SE of your intended route), and it's more certainly more crowded on weekends. If you're willing to wheel out to remote BLM or national forest areas, there are plenty of unoccupied dispersed campsites without crowds or anybody for that matter (even on weekends). I'm sure all public lands are open. San Isabel Nat'l Forest and Collegiate Peaks and Buffalo Peaks Wilderness in my hood are open, anyway. Be aware of fire bans. There's one here; although, many campers are totally ignoring it. Terrible time?!? It's Colorado - how can it be terrible? ;)
Ah, thanks! I'm close to Park City, UT right now, and a lot of the parks are closed last I checked (a week ago). There was a fire about a month ago, and a lot of the regional parks have been closed since.

Terrible time was just in reference to finding a campsite. I've been to places where you have to make reservations a year in advance for a camping permit, and there's no hope of finding a site if you didn't have it all planned out way in advance.

I'm fine wheeling out to a remote area. I have a Sport without lockers and the standard tires, so it can't be too crazy of a trail. But I'm comfortable taking her off the pavement.

kelvinator

First Name
Kelvin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon
Not only terrible but likely for Forest Service / private campsites in popular areas. These require reservations and will be full all or most of the time (1 year out just like you mentioned). The majority of BLM and Forest Service roads may be driven on a stock vehicle. Very few actually require a 4x4 rig. You'll be fine going nearly anywhere in a Sport. Have a great time!

D60

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
In the continuing onslaught of complete lack of logic during the panicdemic, San Juan Natl Forest at least has opened most everything but public restrooms (ie single person pit toilets).

This one just boggles the mind - I'm not aware of data suggesting pit toilets are a hot spot for spreading COVID, and all you've absolutely GUARANTEED is that people will shit in the woods and not haul any of it out. You'll have piles of shit and TP blowing around, but hey that's sanitary.

Now it sounds like the OP wasn't relying on any facilities, but just keep this in mind. I'm not sure the other Forest Districts have been this stupid, but if there's one thing I've learned from this it's that stupidity knows no bounds.

OP
OP
OminousSkitter

OminousSkitter

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Sport
Occupation
I'm pretty comfortable catholing when I need to, but, that's good to know. Thanks!
Sponsored