Sponsored

mnjeeper

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
98 TJ, 2021 JLUR
You like the idea of the tj, but the reality was not anywhere near that good. Poor handling, down right terrifying and unsafe at freeway speeds especially when lifted on the factory short arms. We all could have bought TJ's for pennies on the dollar for what we paid for our JL's, and yet here we are on the JL forum...
I still have my TJ. Long arms and ORO steering helped...but the JL blows it out of the water on the highway. I don't generally drive this fast...but the day after I got my lift I hit triple digits on the highway. It was smoother and more confident than the TJ at 65. I could have held that pace in the JL as long as the single digit MPG held out.

I bought the JL instead of a truck and trailer to bring the TJ out of retirement as a wheeler again. I knew I was not going to take the TJ on trips behind it's steering wheel.
Sponsored

Rumplemenz

First Name
Geno
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ford Explorer Sport, 1986 Ford Mustang Notchback
I can only speak from a friends pt of view. Hes a master tech at jeep for over 20 yrs. He said hands down the JL is built better than its predecessors. But that doesnt mean the JL is the best
From my experience of another brand my 2015 bmw is built btr than my 05’ bmw however, the 05 hands down was a better car.
Anyhow ive only owned one jeep. 21’ JL. Love it and impressed with it for sure

wv18jl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL
Without a doubt ...
See my sig line

GGolds

First Name
Gerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler 2019 JLU Sahara. 3.6, V6. Mojito with a black hard top. Tan leather. 2019 Jeep Cherokee Limited.
Occupation
Paramedic
After owning 3 Wranglers over a span of nearly 30 years, including 3 years and 41k miles with the JL, my humble opinion is that it is. And the others I've owned have been great, so that's saying something. I've put all 3, including a YJ, JK, and JL, through plenty of off-road adventures, and took everything I've thrown at them. The JL just does it with the most ease and confidence.

So why this thread? Honestly, I'm sick of seeing the silly thread "Is the JL the Worst Jeep Ever?" blasting away everyday on a Jeep JL forum. So, I saw this article and it sheds some light on just how ruggedly built the JL is, especially compared to the JK. (No knock on the JK. I still own my 2008 JKUR and LOVE it.) Best Jeep ever is a grandiose statement and honestly, until another wins a world war, I think the Willys MB has the title. But as civilian Jeeps go, its fair game.

Anyway, check out this cool article by someone who rents out a fleet of Jeeps. She is uniquely qualified to chime in on the durability of the JL, as her Jeeps face serious rental abuse. For the record, my JK has never broken an axle housing or any other suspension or drivetrain part, for that matter. I credit that to maxing out at 33" tires and not hanging a bunch of weight on it. Enjoy!

JL Article From Motor Trend:

Editorial: An in-depth look at the Jeep JL Wrangler from a person who has owned 41 of them.

January 15, 2021

Editor's note: Nena Barlow has owned 41 Jeep JL Wranglers between her two Jeep rental companies, Barlow Adventures Moab in Moab, Utah, and Sedona Jeep Rentals in Sedona, Arizona. She has 25 Jeep JL Wranglers in rotation at a given time. This story is based on her experiences with the vehicle.

As we come to the three-year mark with the Jeep JL Wrangler, we have learned a lot of their particular behaviors, differences over previous models, and quirks.

Let me start by saying that the huge drama we expected with a major model update never happened when we switched from the Jeep JK Wrangler to the Jeep JL Wrangler in 2018. When we had switched from the Jeep TJ Wrangler to the Jeep JK Wrangler in 2007, there was drama. Without dragging out all of the dirty laundry, suffice to say that we had the kind of drama that included the words "I broke the Jeep in half," or "I went through water and the Jeep won't start," and some that involved the fire department.

Mechanically Tough
Mechanically, the toughness of the Jeep JL Wrangler has astounded us. We have not snapped a single axlehousing. We have not had a single sway bar disconnect failure. We have not had a single guest stranded on a trail with a mechanical failure (though there have been some dead batteries—more on that in a moment). When someone asks for my advice on buying a Jeep to build, I can honestly say that it takes far less to armor up a Jeep JL Wrangler for hard trail use than it does a Jeep JK Wrangler.

Things To Like
Some of the things we are grateful for in the Jeep JL Wrangler are the quicker drivetrains, better fuel efficiency, and cool gadget accessories. The gadgets range from the heated steering wheel, which you can program to come on automatically when the outside temperature is below 40 degrees F, to Apple car play, which enables you to mirror many of your favorite phone apps right onto the screen of your Jeep—my current favorite is Gaia GPS. We also like the built-in auxiliary switches that make hooking up things like off-road lights faster than you can order an LED multi-colored light bar on Amazon Prime. And now, the 2021 Jeep JL Wrangler Rubicon models even come with the coveted Off-Road Plus and Select Speed Control buttons. One of my favorite options is what I call "magic door handles," which means you only need to have the key fob somewhere in the vicinity of your body, and the doors lock or unlock with a touch of your hand; no more fishing the key out and finding the correct tiny button on the fob.

JL Wrangler And JK Wrangler Differences
If you had a Jeep JK Wrangler or older Wrangler, it will take you a while to get used to some of the differences in a Jeep JL Wrangler. There are things like a transfer case shifter that is just enough different from a Jeep JK Wrangler to really throw you off, the gas-saving stop-start feature that makes you think you stalled the first 100 times it happens, and the auto-park feature that doesn't let you move when your doors are open. And you think you know how to jumpstart a dead battery? The stop-start battery runs the show, and you have to address that through one of the terminals on the side of the fuse box, not the positive terminal on the visible 12V battery on top.

High Tire Pressure From Factory
If you haven't owned a Jeep Wrangler at all before, there can be some questionable issues. The number one thing that seems to befuddle new owners is that the vehicle doesn't, and never will, handle like an Audi. But to complicate the issue, we have noticed that many of our new Jeep JL Wranglers came from the factory with 45 psi in the tires—that's more than 20 percent higher tire pressure than recommended on the factory placard, and it makes the Jeep handle like you are trying to balance on a beach ball. With the tire pressure lowered to 37 psi, it's a whole new Jeep.

Wind Noise
Then there is wind noise. In spite of a windshield slanted 7 degrees more than the previous generation, the Jeep JL Wrangler is still less aerodynamic than a cow. Welcome to Jeep life!

The Jeep That Communicates
Love it or hate it, one thing that the Jeep JL Wrangler is very good at is communication. It will display a myriad of messages in the center dashboard to inform you of everything from low tire pressure to proper shifting sequence to sensing hundreds of different possible issues. My personal Jeep JL Wrangler even sends me an email when she would like an oil change. Of course, this only works if someone is reading the messages.

In The Dirt
And now we get to the dirt. Though much as has been improved on the Jeep Wrangler JL, there are a few new oddities we have found, too. With the optional rear ParkSense feature paired with the plastic bumpers, the sensors are picky about the offset of the spare tire. We found that a wheel with a backspacing of 5.2 inches, like the AEV Savagre, made these Jeeps happy, while the most common 4.75-inch backspacing makes them beep incessantly whenever you are in reverse.

Cold Weather Steering Surprise
Then there is the cold weather steering surprise. The colder the weather is, the more reluctant the left turns are when the Jeep JL Wrangler has its first start-up on a chilly morning. We have learned to combat that with a little warmup time, and then wiggle the steering wheel back and forth before you hop right out in traffic. As with many things, this was worse on earlier Jeep JL Wranglers, and a dealership software update seemed to soften the issue.

2019 ETorque Heat Stroke
As of this writing, the only operating difficulty we have encountered is limited to only the 2019 Jeep JL Wranglers equipped with the 2.0L turbo eTorque engine. These will start to lose voltage in extreme heat—I mean extreme—like 105 degrees F while crawling along up-and-down rocks in 4-Lo all day long in the sun. If you are driving and you notice the voltage drop, you simply park and turn it off for a few minutes, and open and close the door. Seriously, the "turn it off and turn it back on" trick. The Jeep resets and will carry on. If you don't notice it and wait until the Jeep dies on the trail, you may need to wait about 20-30 minutes, but then it will start right back up again. This seems to be a programming safeguard only found on the 2019 2.0L turbo eTorque when the MGU (basically, the alternator) gets really hot. It's inconvenient, but not a big problem, and nothing you will encounter on 2018s, 2020s, or any other.

Choices Galore
Finally, the last thing I expected to complain about was having too many choices, but I have to say that it is exhausting when someone brings up the topic of which engine to buy. "Well, are you looking at a 2018-2020 3.6L V-6, or a 2021 3.6L V-6 eTorque? Or are you talking a 2018-2019 2.0L turbo eTorque or 2020 2.0L turbo? Or the 2020 diesel? Or the 2021 4xe?" Coming from a decade of only one choice of engine, it's like gorging in the candy store. Although I love having choices and am a huge proponent of both diesel and electric options, it's difficult to keep up, especially with the aftermarket parts we need, like extra belly armor. One size does not fit all.

I guess if "too many choices" is my biggest complaint, I am actually a pretty happy girl. And, yes, the Jeep JL Wrangler is, no questions in my book, by far still the best Jeep Wrangler ever made.
Im on my ninth Jeep. My CJ-7 was Hard to live with but reliable. My Wranglers were rattle traps but reliable. My 97 TJ was perfect. The only vehicle until now that I ever ordered from the factory rather then purchase new on the lot. My current Mojito Green 19 JLUR Sahara is so delicious to look at and drive that my wife has questioned whether I'm having an affair as I usually walk in the house with a smile on my face after a ride home from anywhere. I just say, honey, I'm just so happy to see you it makes me smile every time. That is partly true, and the fact that this time around I picked an Italian that can cook rather then a Jewish girl that my mother "pretended " to like. She actually likes my current wife far more, and even admits it. After my lease comes due, (with my Jeep that is), I will lease another Wrangler. I can't for the life of me think of anything that I can lease or finance that will make me happier then a Wrangler. I toyed with the idea of a Porsche Mecan, but it's just too pricey to justify and I just don't think I'd feel happy owning such a snooty car even though I'm sure it would be fun. Like my Land Rovers, I'm sure just the tires would be so costly that I'd need an extra session with my therapist that week just to handle the absurdity of that expense after just a year in. Don't even get me started on how awful the Land Rovers are. ALL OF THEM, horrible, unreliable, nightmarish English Gremlins. Just avoid the brand forever. They never improve. Never!!. That said, yes you are correct. My Wranglers have always been reliable, fun, animated, and wonderful to drive, I don't care what anyone says, the wind noise is NOT that bad. Stop being such pussies. My wife never seems to have any trouble being heard over the wind noise. As my dad once said, " G (short for my name), do you know why Jewish men die before their wives do?. No dad why. Because we want to!. " Enough said, God Bless.

Sponsored

WorkingMan

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Sport S
The only thing I hate about my Jeep is how fast the odometer accumulates mileage. It really is a pleasure to drive.

It's so well thought out that they even put the oil filter housing next to to oil fill cap making oil changes ridiculously simple.

Buckzona

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon JLU
After owning 3 Wranglers over a span of nearly 30 years, including 3 years and 41k miles with the JL, my humble opinion is that it is. And the others I've owned have been great, so that's saying something. I've put all 3, including a YJ, JK, and JL, through plenty of off-road adventures, and took everything I've thrown at them. The JL just does it with the most ease and confidence.

So why this thread? Honestly, I'm sick of seeing the silly thread "Is the JL the Worst Jeep Ever?" blasting away everyday on a Jeep JL forum. So, I saw this article and it sheds some light on just how ruggedly built the JL is, especially compared to the JK. (No knock on the JK. I still own my 2008 JKUR and LOVE it.) Best Jeep ever is a grandiose statement and honestly, until another wins a world war, I think the Willys MB has the title. But as civilian Jeeps go, its fair game.

Anyway, check out this cool article by someone who rents out a fleet of Jeeps. She is uniquely qualified to chime in on the durability of the JL, as her Jeeps face serious rental abuse. For the record, my JK has never broken an axle housing or any other suspension or drivetrain part, for that matter. I credit that to maxing out at 33" tires and not hanging a bunch of weight on it. Enjoy!

JL Article From Motor Trend:

Editorial: An in-depth look at the Jeep JL Wrangler from a person who has owned 41 of them.

January 15, 2021

Editor's note: Nena Barlow has owned 41 Jeep JL Wranglers between her two Jeep rental companies, Barlow Adventures Moab in Moab, Utah, and Sedona Jeep Rentals in Sedona, Arizona. She has 25 Jeep JL Wranglers in rotation at a given time. This story is based on her experiences with the vehicle.

As we come to the three-year mark with the Jeep JL Wrangler, we have learned a lot of their particular behaviors, differences over previous models, and quirks.

Let me start by saying that the huge drama we expected with a major model update never happened when we switched from the Jeep JK Wrangler to the Jeep JL Wrangler in 2018. When we had switched from the Jeep TJ Wrangler to the Jeep JK Wrangler in 2007, there was drama. Without dragging out all of the dirty laundry, suffice to say that we had the kind of drama that included the words "I broke the Jeep in half," or "I went through water and the Jeep won't start," and some that involved the fire department.

Mechanically Tough
Mechanically, the toughness of the Jeep JL Wrangler has astounded us. We have not snapped a single axlehousing. We have not had a single sway bar disconnect failure. We have not had a single guest stranded on a trail with a mechanical failure (though there have been some dead batteries—more on that in a moment). When someone asks for my advice on buying a Jeep to build, I can honestly say that it takes far less to armor up a Jeep JL Wrangler for hard trail use than it does a Jeep JK Wrangler.

Things To Like
Some of the things we are grateful for in the Jeep JL Wrangler are the quicker drivetrains, better fuel efficiency, and cool gadget accessories. The gadgets range from the heated steering wheel, which you can program to come on automatically when the outside temperature is below 40 degrees F, to Apple car play, which enables you to mirror many of your favorite phone apps right onto the screen of your Jeep—my current favorite is Gaia GPS. We also like the built-in auxiliary switches that make hooking up things like off-road lights faster than you can order an LED multi-colored light bar on Amazon Prime. And now, the 2021 Jeep JL Wrangler Rubicon models even come with the coveted Off-Road Plus and Select Speed Control buttons. One of my favorite options is what I call "magic door handles," which means you only need to have the key fob somewhere in the vicinity of your body, and the doors lock or unlock with a touch of your hand; no more fishing the key out and finding the correct tiny button on the fob.

JL Wrangler And JK Wrangler Differences
If you had a Jeep JK Wrangler or older Wrangler, it will take you a while to get used to some of the differences in a Jeep JL Wrangler. There are things like a transfer case shifter that is just enough different from a Jeep JK Wrangler to really throw you off, the gas-saving stop-start feature that makes you think you stalled the first 100 times it happens, and the auto-park feature that doesn't let you move when your doors are open. And you think you know how to jumpstart a dead battery? The stop-start battery runs the show, and you have to address that through one of the terminals on the side of the fuse box, not the positive terminal on the visible 12V battery on top.

High Tire Pressure From Factory
If you haven't owned a Jeep Wrangler at all before, there can be some questionable issues. The number one thing that seems to befuddle new owners is that the vehicle doesn't, and never will, handle like an Audi. But to complicate the issue, we have noticed that many of our new Jeep JL Wranglers came from the factory with 45 psi in the tires—that's more than 20 percent higher tire pressure than recommended on the factory placard, and it makes the Jeep handle like you are trying to balance on a beach ball. With the tire pressure lowered to 37 psi, it's a whole new Jeep.

Wind Noise
Then there is wind noise. In spite of a windshield slanted 7 degrees more than the previous generation, the Jeep JL Wrangler is still less aerodynamic than a cow. Welcome to Jeep life!

The Jeep That Communicates
Love it or hate it, one thing that the Jeep JL Wrangler is very good at is communication. It will display a myriad of messages in the center dashboard to inform you of everything from low tire pressure to proper shifting sequence to sensing hundreds of different possible issues. My personal Jeep JL Wrangler even sends me an email when she would like an oil change. Of course, this only works if someone is reading the messages.

In The Dirt
And now we get to the dirt. Though much as has been improved on the Jeep Wrangler JL, there are a few new oddities we have found, too. With the optional rear ParkSense feature paired with the plastic bumpers, the sensors are picky about the offset of the spare tire. We found that a wheel with a backspacing of 5.2 inches, like the AEV Savagre, made these Jeeps happy, while the most common 4.75-inch backspacing makes them beep incessantly whenever you are in reverse.

Cold Weather Steering Surprise
Then there is the cold weather steering surprise. The colder the weather is, the more reluctant the left turns are when the Jeep JL Wrangler has its first start-up on a chilly morning. We have learned to combat that with a little warmup time, and then wiggle the steering wheel back and forth before you hop right out in traffic. As with many things, this was worse on earlier Jeep JL Wranglers, and a dealership software update seemed to soften the issue.

2019 ETorque Heat Stroke
As of this writing, the only operating difficulty we have encountered is limited to only the 2019 Jeep JL Wranglers equipped with the 2.0L turbo eTorque engine. These will start to lose voltage in extreme heat—I mean extreme—like 105 degrees F while crawling along up-and-down rocks in 4-Lo all day long in the sun. If you are driving and you notice the voltage drop, you simply park and turn it off for a few minutes, and open and close the door. Seriously, the "turn it off and turn it back on" trick. The Jeep resets and will carry on. If you don't notice it and wait until the Jeep dies on the trail, you may need to wait about 20-30 minutes, but then it will start right back up again. This seems to be a programming safeguard only found on the 2019 2.0L turbo eTorque when the MGU (basically, the alternator) gets really hot. It's inconvenient, but not a big problem, and nothing you will encounter on 2018s, 2020s, or any other.

Choices Galore
Finally, the last thing I expected to complain about was having too many choices, but I have to say that it is exhausting when someone brings up the topic of which engine to buy. "Well, are you looking at a 2018-2020 3.6L V-6, or a 2021 3.6L V-6 eTorque? Or are you talking a 2018-2019 2.0L turbo eTorque or 2020 2.0L turbo? Or the 2020 diesel? Or the 2021 4xe?" Coming from a decade of only one choice of engine, it's like gorging in the candy store. Although I love having choices and am a huge proponent of both diesel and electric options, it's difficult to keep up, especially with the aftermarket parts we need, like extra belly armor. One size does not fit all.

I guess if "too many choices" is my biggest complaint, I am actually a pretty happy girl. And, yes, the Jeep JL Wrangler is, no questions in my book, by far still the best Jeep Wrangler ever made.
Great editorial! I rented a JLUR from Barlow in Sedona at Thanksgiving, 2020 and spent some quality time talking with Nena and Mary about how to equip mine when I bought one (a short 4 days later). They gave me some solid advice based on their collective experience, and for that I'm quite grateful. For people looking at getting a jeep for the first time, get a rental for a few days from Barlow and learn from these friendly and knowledgeable ladies!

KananagaS

First Name
Sho
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler Sahara
Occupation
Engineer
Cannot really offer a comparison with other Year models as JL is my first Jeep. But it is the 1st vehicle I have ever owned I still feel excitement driving it in the morning after 1 yr. I get bored fast with vehicles....

danm

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon 2-Door Sting Gray
It’s definitely the best Jeep ever. From an automotive technology standpoint alone it has big advantages...
hydroformed boxed frame, excellent motors, excellent trans, the axles are stronger and wider, t-case is solid.
I’d take a JL over any of its predecessors.

OP
OP
DanW

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 18JLUR, 08JKUR, 15 Renegade, 04 WJ
Vehicle Showcase
Cannot really offer a comparison with other Year models as JL is my first Jeep. But it is the 1st vehicle I have ever owned I still feel excitement driving it in the morning after 1 yr. I get bored fast with vehicles....
I'm the same way! Notice that my JK is still in the fleet after 13 years! That's a record, for me. I do have a 21 year old Mercedes, but that's still around for completely different and complicated reasons. And I hardly drive it. Nice car, but not fun like a Jeep.

Sponsored

Rumplemenz

First Name
Geno
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ford Explorer Sport, 1986 Ford Mustang Notchback
The only thing I hate about my Jeep is how fast the odometer accumulates mileage. It really is a pleasure to drive.

It's so well thought out that they even put the oil filter housing next to to oil fill cap making oil changes ridiculously simple.
So true. Im a total fool to have signed up for 10k miles/yr. I usually do 8k so figured 10k was plenty. Not a chance. i mean im an idiot to have leased as i love it but my 1st jeep. Wont make tht mistake again :)

LewbeachBob

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Willys
Occupation
Retired
I had a 77 CJ-7 that was a a lot of fun, but had virtually no creature comforts. I got to use an 05 TJ sport that really reminded me of the CJ. I got to drive a few JKs over the years and felt that they were very refined over the previous generations, but didn’t feel like I “needed” one. I drove the JL when they came out and was smitten, telling myself that when it was time for a new vehicle that I’d get one. My wait is almost over, ordered a Willys in Mid Jan, it is on a train heading to Selkirk NY and eventually my dealership in Sullivan County. I’m looking forward to many adventures with it.

00 Trans Ram

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Sport
The OPs opinion was that the JL was the "best Wrangler ever". I don't even thing that's a controversial opinion. Of course it is!

But, take special note of what that's saying. It's not saying, "best Wrangler for its time". It's not saying "best for the money". It's not saying anything else.

It's saying, "If you had a lineup of all Jeep Wranglers ever made, and you could choose only 1 to own and drive, which would it be?"

Yes, some people are going to choose a TJ because they like the look of it and can do without things like waterproof windows or double-digit fuel mileage. But, the vast majority of people are going to choose a JL.
Sponsored