ooo-ooo that air conditioner smell!

golden809

First Name
Marty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara
I have had my JLU since July '18 and all summer when i turned on the air conditioning i would get a sweet smell. Exactly like Maple Walnut Syrup. I tried recircuilating air, turning on heat, foot air, middle air, and defrost. Still there. Mostly I would get it when I drove more than five minutes, run into a store, then come out and start engine, and right away I get the smell. Finally I bring it to my dealer. He says it's anfitreeze, but cannot see anything. I am bringing it back next week for a new heater box. The visit took a while, but that was because they started a case on it and found that there was, on record, one other simillar case. No drips but probably a pinhole vaporizing. I'll update after a new heater box.
Sponsored

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy
@golden809

Similar has been reported on the forum by at least four other JL owner's over the last say 6 months..

Capt-Zoom

First Name
Capt-Zoom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL sport s, 4door. 1999 TJ Sport
Better than mine reeks like rotten feet when u turn on the ac to max

RussJeep1

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Sahara
...OT comment related to you description of a "sweet" smell.

So would your dog likely describe as sweet if they could, for who, in case readers don't know, would love to lick the stuff as sure as it's wickedly poisonous to them.

Hope your rig's fixed soon.

Sponsored

Titan2727

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Armando
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Rubicon JL
...OT comment related to you description of a "sweet" smell.

So would your dog likely describe as sweet if they could, for who, in case readers don't know, would love to lick the stuff as sure as it's wickedly poisonous to them.

Hope your rig's fixed soon.
If it were antifreeze leaking and getting into the cabin the dealer would have fixed it right then and there. They have ways for testing stuff like that. Most likely they found nothing wrong. Question; Have you ever sprayed any air deodorants or car scents in the cabin while the air is circulating?? Anything in the car(seat covers, after market mats, any accessories you may have installed in the interior) these may be causing this smell...Chances are if you did it got on the cabin filter or whatever you have in the car is giving you this smell especially when you turn the air on and circulate air inside the cabin. This is most likely cause of the smell or it could just be the new car smell - people smell things differently.

OP
OP
golden809

golden809

First Name
Marty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara
Did you have to fill your overflow for your antifreeze?
No apparent loss of antifreeze. They immediately said antifreeze due to the smell they recognized. I have been watching all fluids. They are pulling the car in next week to put in a new Heater coil.

OP
OP
golden809

golden809

First Name
Marty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara
If it were antifreeze leaking and getting into the cabin the dealer would have fixed it right then and there. They have ways for testing stuff like that. Most likely they found nothing wrong. Question; Have you ever sprayed any air deodorants or car scents in the cabin while the air is circulating?? Anything in the car(seat covers, after market mats, any accessories you may have installed in the interior) these may be causing this smell...Chances are if you did it got on the cabin filter or whatever you have in the car is giving you this smell especially when you turn the air on and circulate air inside the cabin. This is most likely cause of the smell or it could just be the new car smell - people smell things differently.
No, this is definitely antifreeze. that's the first thing they said. Due to no considerable loss of fluid in reservoir, they say it is probably pinhole leak. They wouldnt replace the heater coil if it was nothing.

Sponsored

Froader

First Name
Ralph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon, 1978 CJ-7
My JLUR at 700 miles on it is currently in the dealership service bay for this same problem, just about the same as you describe it, as sweet smell. As my son said the other day, why does your Jeep smell like maple syrup? I really noticed it when I turned on the heat a few weeks ago. Just before it went into the shop Monday I realized the smell was concentrated on the passenger side zone. The service guy said this is the second one they've done recently. Last time he said the heater cores were backordered. Not this time around, seems FCA stocked up on heater cores. Overnighted, arrived today and the job began today. He said it should be done tomorrow.

Fire Burns

First Name
Fire
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR 3.6; 2006 Chrysler 300c SRT-8
So I have that same sweet maple syrupy type smell that folks have described as antifreeze. I only smell it when the heater is turned on. For those who have gotten a "fix," what worked? New heater core? What did it take to remedy the problem? So far its still pretty warm here in California, so not much need for the heater just yet. But I really don't feel like me or my family getting ill from our heater when the temperature outside begins to drop!

Jl-Family

First Name
Gerald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL unlimited sport s
Occupation
Cnc machine programmer
I have had my JLU since July '18 and all summer when i turned on the air conditioning i would get a sweet smell. Exactly like Maple Walnut Syrup. I tried recircuilating air, turning on heat, foot air, middle air, and defrost. Still there. Mostly I would get it when I drove more than five minutes, run into a store, then come out and start engine, and right away I get the smell. Finally I bring it to my dealer. He says it's anfitreeze, but cannot see anything. I am bringing it back next week for a new heater box. The visit took a while, but that was because they started a case on it and found that there was, on record, one other simillar case. No drips but probably a pinhole vaporizing. I'll update after a new heater box.
I have that’s same problem on my brand new JLU . I just dropped it off at the dealer . Did you ever find out what it was ?

Jl-Family

First Name
Gerald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL unlimited sport s
Occupation
Cnc machine programmer
I’m having the exact same problem on my new JLU . Does anybody know what the exact problem was ? Mine is at the dealer right now , it only has 1,000 miles on it .
Sponsored