Don
Threads
Reaction score
Port Charlotte, FL, Naples Fl, 17 Oaks Ranch, Tex
Vehicle(s)
2024 JLR-X 2023 JLR, 2021 JTR. 20 F 450 KR,
Occupation
US Army Infantry, IT Engineer
lol but I counter real Jeepers don't worry about doors, they run topless/doorless and enter through any available spot ;) Thanks and enjoy
I have come to the conclusion there have been 2 generations of Jeepers. I am first generation. I got my ride in a Jeep in 1948 in Post WWII Germany. A military Jeep would pick up my dad every morning and bring him back at the end of the day. I would meet my out on the street when he came home and his driver would take me around the block a time or two. I thought that Jeep was so neat, no doors and it a cool ride. Then the early 60s rolled around we living on our Horse ranch and deer hunting etc and a lot the ranches and farms had Jeeps, so I cut my teeth there. Then my issued Jeep in Vietnam and as the 4 Duce Platoon Ldr I again had my own Jeep, then in Korea on the DMZ I was the S 4 and again I had my own Jeep. I had my own Jeep (by TO&E) up until 86. So I ended up ordering a Sahara in 89. My generation of Jeepers ended with the '06 LJ.

Then Jeep gave us 4 doors and while I was 100% behind it, its was not an SWB and that was a shortcoming. Jeep in traffic is the best vehicle you will ever drive, I loved the maneuverability of the SWB add to that my second car was a sports car, mostly Corvettes since '64.

2007 ushered in a whole new group of customers: Married with children and the fire was lit and it burns more brightly today than ever. The latest numbers are 2-door = 10% of the sales. I expect it to drop down 2 perhaps as low as 5% and at some point it may be killed off completely as us who cut our teeth on the SWB. That said if you have not looked at the prices of TJs you migh be shocked. Just recently. I was on the way to Miami to get a '03 Rubicon for $43,000, the dealer said I have another guy on the way and whoever gets here first gets it. I was going thru West Palm Beach and he called and said you are too late. I paid $21k + TTL for my '03 Rubicon.

Next week I go to my dealer and order a SWB 2023 Rubicon, prob the end of the line for this old Jeeper, leaving it to all you guys and gals to go forward and do great things...
Sponsored

CJ99X

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JL Sahara
I have come to the conclusion there have been 2 generations of Jeepers. I am first generation. I got my ride in a Jeep in 1948 in Post WWII Germany. A military Jeep would pick up my dad every morning and bring him back at the end of the day. I would meet my out on the street when he came home and his driver would take me around the block a time or two. I thought that Jeep was so neat, no doors and it a cool ride. Then the early 60s rolled around we living on our Horse ranch and deer hunting etc and a lot the ranches and farms had Jeeps, so I cut my teeth there. Then my issued Jeep in Vietnam and as the 4 Duce Platoon Ldr I again had my own Jeep, then in Korea on the DMZ I was the S 4 and again I had my own Jeep. I had my own Jeep (by TO&E) up until 86. So I ended up ordering a Sahara in 89. My generation of Jeepers ended with the '06 LJ.

Then Jeep gave us 4 doors and while I was 100% behind it, its was not an SWB and that was a shortcoming. Jeep in traffic is the best vehicle you will ever drive, I loved the maneuverability of the SWB add to that my second car was a sports car, mostly Corvettes since '64.

2007 ushered in a whole new group of customers: Married with children and the fire was lit and it burns more brightly today than ever. The latest numbers are 2-door = 10% of the sales. I expect it to drop down 2 perhaps as low as 5% and at some point it may be killed off completely as us who cut our teeth on the SWB. That said if you have not looked at the prices of TJs you migh be shocked. Just recently. I was on the way to Miami to get a '03 Rubicon for $43,000, the dealer said I have another guy on the way and whoever gets here first gets it. I was going thru West Palm Beach and he called and said you are too late. I paid $21k + TTL for my '03 Rubicon.

Next week I go to my dealer and order a SWB 2023 Rubicon, prob the end of the line for this old Jeeper, leaving it to all you guys and gals to go forward and do great things...
best post award = enjoy life brother it is all we truly have in the end

Industrialwrench

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
08 SRT Challenger. 18 4Runner off-road premium.
It’s not a real Jeep till you drive it like one. If it’s shorty or a big O’l bus 🚌 it needs to get its feet wet. 2 entries, man you’ve got no imagination…remember it’s only kinky the first time. 😆

Mikeoso

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.iowaparrotrescue.org
Vehicle(s)
Ram 1500, Jeep
Occupation
Retired history teacher
How did you know? Vietnam, 67-68. My guess is you are wondering what that sitting in the back? It's a GOBI (General Officer Bright Idea). Take a multi-million-lumen Searchlight + 90,000-volt generator to run it off the engine, send you out with the Infantry to light up the battlefield...there were only 36 of us in Vietnam that did this and it only lasted a short time and you can figure out why!!!

R2-02618-0007.jpg
Yup, a real attention getter. Kinda draws everyone's eye. I ran one of these for a short time in '68...also got noticed.
Jeep Wrangler JL Only REAL Jeeps have 2 entries 1658602989674

Mikeoso

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.iowaparrotrescue.org
Vehicle(s)
Ram 1500, Jeep
Occupation
Retired history teacher
this Sourdough knows real 'JEEPS' didn't have doors.

but come inclement weather, the door option was nice and during 20+ yrs of ownership I came to appreciate having them as an option.

I reconise the JL's luxury compared to my '50 CJ3a and early on I referred to it as my retirement rocking chair

I wanted only 3 options and 2 of them, the painted hardtop with doors.

View attachment 633429
Noice! Here's my first jeep, a 1949....2 door.
Jeep Wrangler JL Only REAL Jeeps have 2 entries JeepandSam

Attachments

• 0 bytes Views: 0

Sponsored

OP
OP
Old Jeeper

Old Jeeper

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Noice! Here's my first jeep, a 1949....2 door.
Wish they were still making them, great rigs. Mine had a 350/350 Chevy SB with 5 36 gears

OP
OP
Old Jeeper

Old Jeeper

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Yup, a real attention getter. Kinda draws everyone's eye. I ran one of these for a short time in '68...also got noticed.
I only saw those a few times forgot what they called it?

Mikeoso

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.iowaparrotrescue.org
Vehicle(s)
Ram 1500, Jeep
Occupation
Retired history teacher
AN/TRC-97

Mikeoso

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.iowaparrotrescue.org
Vehicle(s)
Ram 1500, Jeep
Occupation
Retired history teacher
Wish they were still making them, great rigs. Mine had a 350/350 Chevy SB with 5 36 gears
LOL! Mine had the flathead with three speed. Only mod it had was upgraded to 12 volt.

OP
OP
Old Jeeper

Old Jeeper

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
AN/TRC-97
That us quite a setup. It's multiplex, not sure if this will mean anything to you but is that also "Sideband'. My dad had a Collins (Art Collins) KWM 2. Dad was big time into stuff like that. He and Art Collins were good friends both being from Oklahoma and dad was commander of GEEIA USAF it was communications.

You may wish read about Art Collins, a true genius: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arthur_A._Collins

Sponsored

Mikeoso

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.iowaparrotrescue.org
Vehicle(s)
Ram 1500, Jeep
Occupation
Retired history teacher
That us quite a setup. It's multiplex, not sure if this will mean anything to you but is that also "Sideband'. My dad had a Collins (Art Collins) KWM 2. Dad was big time into stuff like that. He and Art Collins were good friends both being from Oklahoma and dad was commander of GEEIA USAF it was communications.

You may wish read about Art Collins, a true genius: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arthur_A._Collins
Yup, single sideband means something to me. I was trained up to fifth echelon on that critter. Spent three months running one. When Mr Charles blew mine away with mortars near C-2 Bridge, they handed me a PRC-25 and an M14 and sent me to take long walks in the woods.

Mikeoso

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.iowaparrotrescue.org
Vehicle(s)
Ram 1500, Jeep
Occupation
Retired history teacher
I hope the OP will forgive the gross thread drift here...my bad.

OP
OP
Old Jeeper

Old Jeeper

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Yup, single sideband means something to me. I was trained up to fifth echelon on that critter. Spent three months running one. When Mr Charles blew mine away with mortars near C-2 Bridge, they handed me a PRC-25 and an M14 and sent me to take long walks in the woods.
M 14, WOW, I saw in 67 but rarely saw one after that except some of the long-distance shooters had them. You prob don't keep up with any of that but the Army has gone full fu man chu in combat rifles. AND what I said for years, we need a 2 gun Army. The guys that wear crossed rifles need their own, and let the boys and girls in the rear carry the 5.56 M 4.

Sig won the contract and I think it a AR 10 platform, that shoots the Army's own designed 6.8. The scope....ohh boy. Range finder, wind drift, humidity, snow cone machine. COST, I have not been able to find out but it ain't gonna be cheap. And they are getting a new sniper rifle and a belt fed MG, all by Sig Sauer. Seen it and I think the Army has finally got it together for the soldier who walks the killing fields..

four low

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL
this Sourdough knows real 'JEEPS' didn't have doors.

but come inclement weather, the door option was nice and during 20+ yrs of ownership I came to appreciate having them as an option.

I reconise the JL's luxury compared to my '50 CJ3a and early on I referred to it as my retirement rocking chair

I wanted only 3 options and 2 of them, the painted hardtop with doors.
What is under that red CJ ?? A shortened "newer" chassis ? I see passenger side fuel fill, like a CJ 5, 7 tank would have. Longer springs, so please ,Details

OP
OP
Old Jeeper

Old Jeeper

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Good eye four low. It was a very highly mod'd CJ3a/5 with a modified stock frame. it had a postal Jeep tank, they fit nicely between the frame cross member and bumper with a newer cj5 style unleaded filler. The springs are Holbrook long leaves, out of business I'm told. The design was along the lines of the 4x Jeepster model leaf springs. The axle is not centered in the leafs with longer section inboard and shorter toward the bumpers. This allowed for a longer leaf spring over all with better ride and flex. I frenched the inboard spring mounts into the bottom of the frame so the mounts were a smooth transition from leaf spring to frame and didn't hang up on stuff. Also did a belly tuck of the trans. and transfer-case for a smooth belly all covered with a belly pan that ran straight across from frame rail to frame rail.
The running gear was 225 v6 with HD flywheel, T90 truck 3 speed with lower 1st gear, D20 transfer-case with lower lo range gear set and a rare 1970 HD D44 full floater rear axle with manual hubs. With all the hubs turned out it was not spinning the 5.38 axle gears during flat towing which I did a lot with it.

https://www.motortrend.com/how-to/1...longleaf-suspension-system-long-leaf-springs/
To say I am impressed would be an understatement. But you did disclose the biggest secret in rock crawling...belly tuck or what I call the 3+2+2 lift. One of the things I did was to take the motor and trans and stuff them up into the tunnel, +2 motor mount lift, and same for the trans. Anyplace I had a bolt head it was a round head. I only had a 3-in lift, but when you raise the body you now raise the motor/trans and go with a FLAT belly plate. What you end up with is a 6 in lift without the huge issue of the number 1 enemy of rock crawling...CoG. If it was a perfect world, we would lower our Jeeps rather than raise them. Another thing I did was to cut off my frame side body mounts and raise them 2 inches, that made a big difference!

Nothing is more important than suspension and bolt-on kits just provide some inches. Most depend upon a higher lift kit to provide performance improvements. Higher is not always better. I got my first lesson in back in '65 when I was racing the 1320. I was not winning often enough and one day in the pits an old-timer came over and said son, seen you several strips and you got all the HP you need, but you not getting it to the ground. I said what do I need to do. He said the first I would do is get an HD rear anti-dive bar and one for the front and some harder shocks on the rear and softer up front. See if you don't start winning! I follow his advice and a short time later at another strip I had won my class and the old guy came over I said thank you very much you were right. Since then suspension has been my game.

I don't lift kits, I buy components and build my own!

Good on brother, you know what you are doing!
Sponsored