First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL Rubicon 2 Door, 2.0l Turbo/Automatic
Occupation
Mechanical Engineer
Yes, those are good reasons for it, but I'm baffled, why would only 25% of people want the Remote Proximity Keyless Entry (75% don't want it)? With all of these positives, then why don't more people get Jeep JL's with the Remote Proximity Keyless Entry feature?
For me personally, I wear my key fob in a holster on my belt. I can press the button on my side, or I can press a button on the door handle for $500 more...just isn't worth the extra money to me....doesn't offer any additional convenience. Doors are off in the summer as well, so offers no value then.

I have had the feature on a previous Nissan product, and it was nice, but not a priority for the Jeep.

While it doesn't necessarily apply for me, there are also a lot of long-time Jeepers who don't want a lot of electronics/automation on a Jeep...which I can fully respect. Whether they just want simplicity, or they are concerned that it is just one more thing that might break, it is certainly their choice...and making it an option gives them that choice.

Perhaps the 25% is somewhat representative of the percentage of people or want the feature. Conversely, perhaps those equipped with this option sell faster, and not as many stay on the lots with the feature.

Not everyone has the same priorities. If you special order your Jeep like many of us did, you can chose it or not. Otherwise, you do still have those 13 1/2 Jeeps to choose from, or you can wait for the next deliveries to hit the dealerships.
Sponsored

Andy2434

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Billet JLUR, ‘20 Mustang GT/Prem/6MT/PP1
Occupation
Retired/Leisure
Keyless entry was a must order item for me. Prefer not to handle a key or a key fob as much as possible.

Goin2drt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 Rubicon, 17 Grand Cherokee Trailhawk
I did a search using the Jeep.com inventory search tool, within 150 miles of my zip code. Of the 54 Rubicons, only 14 (25%) have the Remote Proximity Keyless Entry option. Any theories to why only 25% besides the $495 price?
It is why I special ordered mine. This was a must have. Best feature on the rig.

jeepin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Unlimited Rubicon
It works great for me. The only thing that bugs me about it is that the rear doors(unlimited) dont have it integrated in the handles

Reactions: eck

Sponsored

Warpath

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler 2.0T JLR 2-Door, 2020 GT500
I love it, I think it's very convenient.

TimmH

First Name
Timm
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Wrangler Sahara 3.6 Auto
Vehicle Showcase
Yes, those are good reasons for it, but I'm baffled, why would only 25% of people want the Remote Proximity Keyless Entry (75% don't want it)? With all of these positives, then why don't more people get Jeep JL's with the Remote Proximity Keyless Entry feature?
My guess is that unless you custom ordered it, finding the right package was difficult.

When I was looking, I had features I wanted, and it seemed like I could not get them all in a single Jeep.
To me, the proximity locks should have been part of the Technology group.

I actually ended up confused on what came with what packages at one point, and I found that while searching dealer inventory, each dealer had different filters you could search by, making comparing even more difficult.

I never did find a location that told you what each of the packages were, like "Customer Package 28G" and stuff.

eck

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU MOAB HellaYella
It works great for me. The only thing that bugs me about it is that the rear doors(unlimited) dont have it integrated in the handles
Yeah this drives me crazy when trying to put my kids in the back. I should be able to grab the rear handle and have it unlock.

Sponsored

KingTtn1

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Noah
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon JL
I did a search using the Jeep.com inventory search tool, within 150 miles of my zip code. Of the 54 Rubicons, only 14 (25%) have the Remote Proximity Keyless Entry option. Any theories to why only 25% besides the $495 price?
Useless pia feature that's why

Willcbooth

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR 2015 Lexus GS350 FSport
Vehicle Showcase
I can’t fit my hand in my pocket with the giant key fob in there too to lock and unlock the door. Prox is well worth the money

cnyjl

First Name
Curt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Billet JLUR, 2019 Ram Rebel Crew, 2019 HD FLTRXS, 2018 HD FLFBS ANV
28 year retired LEO, love the proximity FOB. My wife has one hand on her .380 in her handbag or coat pocket and just opens the door by pulling the handle. She knows how to protect herself.
Enjoy your semi or full retirement and stay safe!

heels19

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 Wrangler Sahara (Sting Gray), 14 Wrangler Sahara (Dune)
Had keyless on my last two vehicles with BMW and Jaguar. Can count the number of times on one hand that I got real use out of it. It was most helpful with trunk entry when carrying things to the car, I simply just don't have my hands tied enough when entering the driver's door.

When it's been a standard feature for years in cars and now you're shelling out a half rack for something that doesn't provide a ton of utility - it becomes difficult to justify.

Not surprised by the stats, don't see the Wrangler community seeing this as a necessary thing for their ride.
Sponsored