Only 25% of in-stock Rubicons have the Remote Proximity Keyless Entry

jeremyjeep

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
I did a search using the Jeep.com inventory search tool, within 150 miles of my zip code. Of the 54 Rubicons, only 14 (25%) have the Remote Proximity Keyless Entry option. Any theories to why only 25% besides the $495 price?
Sponsored

Dynomite1371

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, Granite, Steel bumper, Safety, Cold Weather, Tow package, Premium Alpine, Black Leather and Mopar "self draining" Mats
Occupation
Police Officer

cnyjl

First Name
Curt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Billet JLUR, 2019 Ram Rebel Crew, 2019 HD FLTRXS, 2018 HD FLFBS ANV
It's a PIA.
I had it on my challenger and my wife has it on her cherokee and it works well. I've always thought it's really convenient with no need to take the fob out of your pocket. Why do you think it's a pita?

Sponsored

Kurtj29

First Name
Kurt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR Billet Silver
Vehicle Showcase
My wife has it on her Mercedes. It’s a real PIA when you wash the car if you have the key in your pocket, doors keep locking and unlocking. For the money I just don’t see the benefit. Is it really that hard to reach in your pocket and hit the unlock button? You are never really sure - are the doors locked or unlocked when you leave the car. I guess I am old and a little OCD - I have to go back and check and because I go back it unlocks the car then I’m not sure... ugh... I have to physically hit the button.

I will say my wife likes it and has no problem with it - she is a better person than me - in many ways.

Last edited:
OP
OP
jeremyjeep

jeremyjeep

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
My wife has it on her Mercedes. It’s a real PIA when you wash the car if you have the key in your pocket, doors keep locking and unlocking. For the money I just don’t see the benefit. Is it really that hard to reach in your pocket and hit the unlock button? You are never really sure - are the doors locked or unlocked when you leave the car. I guess I am old and a little OCD - I have to physically hit the button.
On the JL's you have to press the button on the door handle to lock it. Maybe people assume the JL's will behave the same way as other cars, thus don't want it?

Chocolate Thunder

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
My wife has it on her Mercedes. It’s a real PIA when you wash the car if you have the key in your pocket, doors keep locking and unlocking. For the money I just don’t see the benefit. Is it really that hard to reach in your pocket and hit the unlock button? You are never really sure - are the doors locked or unlocked when you leave the car. I guess I am old and a little OCD - I have to physically hit the button.
Benefit? My wife’s Lexus has it and it’s her favorite feature of the car. She carries a big purse and the fob is zipped inside one of the pockets so that it doesn’t get lost in that cavernous bag or roll around and have the buttons pressed inadvertently (not likely). She never has to open the purse, unzip the pocket, pull the fob out, press the button to lock/unlock, then put it back. As far as being OCD, why would you be less confident of it’s locked or unlocked status because of proximity locking vs pressing the button? There’s a distinctive clunk sound, a beep, and on the Lexus the side mirrors fold in when locked, out when unlocked. No uncertainty at all.

As far as washing, just leave the key inside while washing it or set it aside out of the way somewhere?

OP
OP
jeremyjeep

jeremyjeep

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
Benefit? My wife’s Lexus has it and it’s her favorite feature of the car. She carries a big purse and the fob is zipped inside one of the pockets so that it doesn’t get lost in that cavernous bag or roll around and have the buttons pressed inadvertently (not likely). She never has to open the purse, unzip the pocket, pull the fob out, press the button to lock/unlock, then put it back. As far as being OCD, why would you be less confident of it’s locked or unlocked status because of proximity locking vs pressing the button? There’s a distinctive clunk sound, a beep, and on the Lexus the side mirrors fold in when locked, out when unlocked. No uncertainty at all.

As far as washing, just leave the key inside while washing it or set it aside out of the way somewhere?
Yes, those are good reasons for it, but I'm baffled, why would only 25% of people want the Remote Proximity Keyless Entry (75% don't want it)? With all of these positives, then why don't more people get Jeep JL's with the Remote Proximity Keyless Entry feature?

macintux

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 LJR, 2022 JLR
I don’t have doors for 4-5 months out of the year, and when I have a top it’s my soft top, so locking my doors invites someone to slash the top.

So, yes, I’ll lock my doors once or twice a year. I don’t need this.

Sponsored

Tykoehn1

First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 JKUR
I like the feature but I didn't order purely because I didn't want to pay for it.

OP
OP
jeremyjeep

jeremyjeep

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
I don’t have doors for 4-5 months out of the year, and when I have a top it’s my soft top, so locking my doors invites someone to slash the top.

So, yes, I’ll lock my doors once or twice a year. I don’t need this.
Very good point. Thank you. What additional reasons do you think 75% don't want the Remote Proximity Keyless Entry feature?

Drew777x

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 BMW 340i; JLUR Billet - Coming Soon!
Where all 54 hard tops? It's a great feature on my BMW but I wouldn't pay extra for it on a soft top Wrangler because I don't lock the doors.

Kurtj29

First Name
Kurt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR Billet Silver
Vehicle Showcase

Well, you should order it. I should not. For me, I will put the money into some cool accessories.But my post was more tongue in cheek.

OP
OP
jeremyjeep

jeremyjeep

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
Where all 54 hard tops? It's a great feature on my BMW but I wouldn't pay extra for it on a soft top Wrangler because I don't lock the doors.
54 Total Rubicons / 14 (25%) have the Remote Proximity Keyless Entry feature

20 Black Freedom Hard Top (5 (25%) have the Remote Proximity Keyless Entry feature)
26 Body Color Freedom Hard Top (7 (27%) have the Remote Proximity Keyless Entry feature)
8 Premium Black Sunrider Soft Top (2 (25%) have the Remote Proximity Keyless Entry feature)
Sponsored