Only 25% of in-stock Rubicons have the Remote Proximity Keyless Entry

macintux

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 LJR, 2022 JLR
Very good point. Thank you. What additional reasons do you think 75% don't want the Remote Proximity Keyless Entry feature?
I didn’t realize the topic was sufficiently vital that I’d be grilled after giving my reason. Is there a reason 75% of your post history is about this feature?

One more thing to break? One more entry point once someone figures out how to compromise the security? Probably mainly money.
Sponsored

cnyjl

First Name
Curt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Billet JLUR, 2019 Ram Rebel Crew, 2019 HD FLTRXS, 2018 HD FLFBS ANV
To me $495 didn't matter all that much on a 50k+ rubicon. But I could see where most people would consider it an unnecessary extravagance for that price. I'm in the northeast in the snow capital and usually near or sub zero temperatures for 3-4 months. Remote start twice just to warm it up to find the windows, brush a foot of snow off it and grab the handle. Or don't buy it and take off the winter gloves to dig in my pocket for a remote. No thanks. It's easier and worth it for me. If I lived somewhere where my doors were off most of the year I wouldn't bother. I've never had the issue of the doors unlocking or locking when I'm washing the cars, but when I'm doing maintenance I generally leave the keys in the cars until I'm done.

$uicide$hift

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara
There are many reasons I can think of without anyone's feedback.

• Some have the idea that less technology in today's world will give you less headaches because it won't fail
  • Some read of others having issues and decided against it
  • Some bought off the lot and the dealer did not option it and it was something that did not prevent them from buying it
  • Some will try to keep cost down. As they add options and the price climbs they go back over what is NEEDED vs WANTED
  • Some may not realize what it is and or the benefit it gives so they just skip it
Other than that beats me but I would bet those are the top reasons right there.

cnyjl

First Name
Curt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
One other thought and before I get ripped apart for this it had nothing to do with why I ordered it. My wife works for a law firm in the city and parks in a parking garage. Should she need to get in the vehicle quickly for some reason, she can. And if god forbid she was ever being chased or saw someone suspicious, no fumbling for the fob in her purse.

macintux

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 LJR, 2022 JLR
One other thought and before I get ripped apart for this it had nothing to do with why I ordered it. My wife works for a law firm in the city and parks in a parking garage. Should she need to get in the vehicle quickly for some reason, she can. And if god forbid she was ever being chased or saw someone suspicious, no fumbling for the fob in her purse.
Why would you be ripped for that? As a man I take it for granted that most places I’m perfectly safe, but women have a lot more to worry about.

Sponsored

maguro

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Punk'n JLUR
And if god forbid she was ever being chased or saw someone suspicious, no fumbling for the fob in her purse.
Hope that never happens but the fob does have a panic button which may be useful in that situation.

Plus it can be used as a shield to protect herself.

Dynomite1371

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, Granite, Steel bumper, Safety, Cold Weather, Tow package, Premium Alpine, Black Leather and Mopar "self draining" Mats
Occupation
Police Officer
Here's the deal, it litterarly stops you from touching a button! (a very easy button to hit now thanks to the man size fob, love it). My wife's 2016 GC has it and I walk up and try to open, assuming it's unlocked, sometimes it is, sometimes not. If I get to the handle early, pull on it, still locked! PIA. Guess work sucks, but touching a button on the way to car is not guesswork. Touching Fob also will turn the lights on and allow you to see around your vehicle. Further, as a 24 Year Police Officer, I don't like the idea of her walking up to car, car unlocking, bad guy forcing her into the car and drives away. With fob on hand and having the ability to hit panic button is a good option to have. She's not armed 24-7, I am! Sorry I just don't see the added benifit or anything that outweighs the safety factor or convenience of having it.

OP
OP
jeremyjeep

jeremyjeep

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
Here's the deal, it litterarly stops you from touching a button! (a very easy button to hit now thanks to the man size fob, love it). My wife's 2016 GC has it and I walk up and try to open, assuming it's unlocked, sometimes it is, sometimes not. If I get to the handle early, pull on it, still locked! PIA. Guess work sucks, but touching a button on the way to car is not guesswork. Touching Fob also will turn the lights on and allow you to see around your vehicle. Further, as a 24 Year Police Officer, I don't like the idea of her walking up to car, car unlocking, bad guy forcing her into the car and drives away. With fob on hand and having the ability to hit panic button is a good option to have. She's not armed 24-7, I am! Sorry I just don't see the added benifit or anything that outweighs the safety factor or convenience of having it.
Those are good points I hadn't thought of. I'm going to go to a dealer today and check it out in person. All of these comments are super helpful, as I wouldn't of picked up on them during a "test run".

Chocolate Thunder

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
So after seeing peoples’ reasoning in this thread it seems like the reason that 25% of Rubicons on the lot have the feature is because 75% of people have reasons why they wouldn’t want it, and only about 25% of us do. Makes sense to me.

Sponsored

ThirtyOne

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.jeepdoodles.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon, 2017 Chevy Tahoe
Build Thread
Link
It's probably mostly because it could not be ordered in the first wave and it wasn't part of the standard recommended configurations that Jeep gave its dealers as part of the roll-out.

It may also be because it is just not a priority for most of the people buying a Jeep. If premium features were that important to them they would buy a Grand Cherokee. There I said it.

OP
OP
jeremyjeep

jeremyjeep

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
It's probably mostly because it could not be ordered in the first wave and it wasn't part of the standard recommended configurations that Jeep gave its dealers as part of the roll-out.

It may also be because it is just not a priority for most of the people buying a Jeep. If premium features were that important to them they would buy a Grand Cherokee. There I said it.
I had also thought maybe it was because it wasn't available in the beginning. I looked just at the "in transit" JL Wranglers on a second pass at the data, and most of those don't have the Proximity Keyless Entry feature too.

cnyjl

First Name
Curt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Those are good points I hadn't thought of. I'm going to go to a dealer today and check it out in person. All of these comments are super helpful, as I wouldn't of picked up on them during a "test run".

I retired after 36 years as an leo, and respectfully disagree. So first, if you're still on the job, stay safe, it's getting crazier every day.

As far as the proximity entry, I don't think you know how it works. You pull the handle and the door opens. If the door is locked, you pull the handle and the door opens. If the door is unlocked, you pull the handle and the door opens. For you to be having problems deciding whether it's locked or not, or locking it when it was already unlocked, you have to be pushing the little button, which if it's already unlocked will lock it. The button is used when you exit the vehicle to lock it. You don't use the button entering the vehicle. Used correctly there's nothing faster for entering the vehicle by just pulling the handle with the fob safely in your pocket or purse. The panic button is great, if the fob is in your hand, but from your law enforcement training you know that how you train is how you will react in an emergency. I'd rather have my wife pull the door handle (which she does every time she gets in her car) than stopping to think about the panic button on the remote, no matter how big it is. JMHO.

cnyjl

First Name
Curt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I retired after 36 years as an leo, and respectfully disagree. So first, if you're still on the job, stay safe, it's getting crazier every day.

As far as the proximity entry, I don't think you know how it works. You pull the handle and the door opens. If the door is locked, you pull the handle and the door opens. If the door is unlocked, you pull the handle and the door opens. For you to be having problems deciding whether it's locked or not, or locking it when it was already unlocked, you have to be pushing the little button, which if it's already unlocked will lock it. The button is used when you exit the vehicle to lock it. You don't use the button entering the vehicle. Used correctly there's nothing faster for entering the vehicle by just pulling the handle with the fob safely in your pocket or purse. The panic button is great, if the fob is in your hand, but from your law enforcement training you know that how you train is how you will react in an emergency. I'd rather have my wife pull the door handle (which she does every time she gets in her car) than stopping to think about the panic button on the remote, no matter how big it is. JMHO.
And I should probably add that you still get the same man sized remote if you opt for the proximity entry. So you still have the ability to use your panic alarm or key fob as a shield as some have suggested. You don't get a different key fob with proximity. You just get the ability to open your vehicle quickly without ever taking the fob out of your pocket. If you run without doors most of the time, don't get it, it's obviously a waste of money. If you can't afford it or it's not worth it for $495 to you, don't get it. But if you like the convenience factor, especially if you live in a cold climate with a lot of snow, I would recommend it.

Man-of-methods

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JLUR (His) 2018 Jeep Wrangler JLUS (Hers)
Vehicle Showcase

I'm sure he knows how it works. Fact is, there are a few of us that have figured out that if you use the remote start feature, drive, park and lock it, you'll come back to use the proximity feature only to find out that there is s lag on pulling the handle. It happened to a few of us. Why it does this we don't know, but it does. Then it'll take a while to reset back to the proximity working instantly. Just remember, using remote start (by fob or Uconnect) will cause a lag in proximity entry. Other than that, is flawless. I personally like it. I've never had it before, that's the main reason I ordered it.
YOLO!
Sponsored