Only 25% of in-stock Rubicons have the Remote Proximity Keyless Entry

pablo_max3045

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Rubicon
Occupation
Engineering project manager
Once again, you're reaching quite a bit. You're comparing axles to proximity entry. Do you not understand how horrible this comparison is? One serves a true, functional upgrade for a very specific buyer that offroads very hard. The other is an insanely priced useless option to not press an unlock button. The two couldn't be any different from the other. Why is this option not on most Sahara's/Rubicons on the lots? Because even the dealer know it's overpriced as hell.

You have a lack of reading comprehension. I never complained about wanting modern options at all, or modern options being on Jeep. That was not posted once. In fact, you seen me post that I wouldn't care if proximity was standard. I'm pointing out that paying $495 to not press your unlock button is silly, especially considering the base prices of Saharas/Rubicons. People begging to pay $495 to not unlock a door is self explanatory on why that's very bad. If you like it, by all means enjoy your option, it's your vehicle. That doesn't change that it's a rip off beyond words and will encourage further price hikes that are already very high.
Whatever man. If you think the Jeep community is so bad.. don't let the door hit you on the ass on the way out.
Maybe you should have made better life choices that would have enabled you to stop bitching about 500 bucks and complaining about those of us who can afford it.
Sponsored

Strommen95

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 GMC Canyon
$495 is not an incredible amount to me. Not chump change, but not a lot either.
Maybe you should have made better life choices that would have enabled you to stop bitching about 500 bucks and complaining about those of us who can afford it.

Once again, your lack of basic reading comprehension is astounding. I could afford a loaded Rubicon. Doesn't mean I want or should have one simply because I can.

Majestic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 JKUR, 2019 JLUR
Once again, you're reaching quite a bit. You're comparing axles to proximity entry. Do you not understand how horrible this comparison is? One serves a true, functional upgrade for a very specific buyer that offroads very hard. The other is an insanely priced useless option to not press an unlock button. The two couldn't be any different from the other. Why is this option not on most Sahara's/Rubicons on the lots? Because even the dealer know it's overpriced as hell.

You have a lack of reading comprehension. I never complained about wanting modern options at all, or modern options being on Jeep. That was not posted once. In fact, you seen me post that I wouldn't care if proximity was standard. I'm pointing out that paying $495 to not press your unlock button is silly, especially considering the base prices of Saharas/Rubicons. People begging to pay $495 to not unlock a door is self explanatory on why that's very bad. If you like it, by all means enjoy your option, it's your vehicle. That doesn't change that it's a rip off beyond words and will encourage further price hikes that are already very high.
This may come as a shock but not all Jeeps are used solely for off-roading. I use proximity locks at least twice a day. I never use 4wd.

Majestic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 JKUR, 2019 JLUR
Had it been available on the Sport I would've gladly paid for the option. I paid $195 for the damn Homelink, $495 for the proximity key is a bargain in comparison.

Here's how almost every morning goes for me in the winter:

I stand in my warm house and remote start the Jeep.
I gather all my kids' crap (backpacks etc) and gather them up to load them in the Jeep.
I stagger outside carrying all loads of their crap, key in my pocket and I go balance it all while I grab at the handle to open the trunk.
Then I reshuffle everything because I forgot to unlock the !#$^@#$ing Jeep.

Every. Damn. Morning.

Am I dumb? Yes. Would I pay $495 for it to autounlock so I didn't have to reshuffle everything to get in the Jeep? Also yes.

We're not asking for exotic tech here. Every Hyundai made in the last 5 years probably has it. But my $45k Jeep? Nope. And I'm not even bitching it was an option I'd have to pay for. I don't care. I'll pay. In fact, make it $1k and license the tech from Jag/Land Rover with the "lifestyle key" or whatever, the little fitbit band thing you wear to unlock a Jag/Land Rover, that would be even better, and perfectly aligned with Jeep's "Active lifestyle" branding.
Jeep was selling side air bags for $400 or so as late as last year. The stuff everybody else takes for granted.
With Jeep you’ll always have grumpy purest who think a Jeep should just be a notch above farm equipment.

Strommen95

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 GMC Canyon
This may come as a shock but not all Jeeps are used solely for off-roading. I use proximity locks at least twice a day. I never use 4wd.
You use it twice a day, meaning you don't press unlock, you just walk to your Jeep. You know what most people do when they walk to their car? They press unlock. Unless your hands are overloaded with items daily, you're saving 0 seconds every day.

Sponsored

Majestic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 JKUR, 2019 JLUR
You use it twice a day, meaning you don't press unlock, you just walk to your Jeep. You know what most people do when they walk to their car? They press unlock. Unless your hands are overloaded with items daily, you're saving 0 seconds every day.
When most people walk to their car they just grab the handle and it unlocks because it’s 2019.

xtopherm

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
HellaYella 2019 JLUR
I did a search using the Jeep.com inventory search tool, within 150 miles of my zip code. Of the 54 Rubicons, only 14 (25%) have the Remote Proximity Keyless Entry option. Any theories to why only 25% besides the $495 price?
Who locks their doors on a soft-top Jeep? I never lock mine - I don't even have doors to lock in the summer.

Majestic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 JKUR, 2019 JLUR
Who locks their doors on a soft-top Jeep? I never lock mine - I don't even have doors to lock in the summer.
I used to not lock my soft top, but then I realized that by having it locked my tailgate was also locked and it blocks my cargo storage area under the cargo floor. Most of the crimes here are crimes of opportunity, in that somebody steals random stuff out of unlocked locked cars. Even if it’s just some bungee chords and the little tool kit Jeep gives you, it’s pretty damn annoying.

alphalife9

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Z51 C6, Sting Gray JLUR
I actually think 25% is a high number. I expect all Factory/Dealer offers to have a much lower percentage of units with this option. Personally, I love it in other vehicles but it seems rare to find it on Jeeps (Wranglers).

Majestic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 JKUR, 2019 JLUR
I actually think 25% is a high number. I expect all Factory/Dealer offers to have a much lower percentage of units with this option. Personally, I love it in other vehicles but it seems rare to find it on Jeeps (Wranglers).
Not at my dealership. Rubicons anyway.

Sponsored

alphalife9

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Z51 C6, Sting Gray JLUR
Not at my dealership. Rubicons anyway.
I've been searching nation-wide. I don't actually know what any of the numbers are but looking all over I rarely see this equipped. I'm glad that's not the case where you are.

JC7

First Name
Jdog
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Rubicon
I'm on my 2nd JL. One of the main reasons for my trade was the lack of proximity locks.

jayvis

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon

My respectful advice to you is to not even consider a JL. And maybe you'd enjoy the JK forum better.

cram501

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUS Mojito! Moab
$495 so I don’t have to press the unlock button?.. I’ll gladly pass on that one. This thread is s good example of how the Jeep community has changed greatly.
I got the option and I like it. I've had it previously on other autos. The convenience is well worth the price to me.

I'm not sure why an option, that you don't have to purchase and I like, gets your panties in a bunch but I'll ignore the attitude and enjoy my Jeep.

Strommen95

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 GMC Canyon
My respectful advice to you is to not even consider a JL. And maybe you'd enjoy the JK forum better.
I shouldn’t consider a JL over an option I’m not getting? Respectfully to you as well, how does that make any sense at all? The JK and JLs are remarkably similar, with the exception that the JL has improved almost everything about the JK. Getting a JL is a no brainer.

I got the option and I like it. I've had it previously on other autos. The convenience is well worth the price to me.

I'm not sure why an option, that you don't have to purchase and I like, gets your panties in a bunch but I'll ignore the attitude and enjoy my Jeep.
My panties aren’t in a bunch at all. I posted my opinion and was answered disrespectfully by Pablo. I’m not going to answer disrespect with respect.
Sponsored