Sponsored

Only 25% of in-stock Rubicons have the Remote Proximity Keyless Entry

Strommen95

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 GMC Canyon
$495 so I don’t have to press the unlock button?.. I’ll gladly pass on that one. This thread is s good example of how the Jeep community has changed greatly.
Sponsored

Majestic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 JKUR, 2019 JLUR
$495 so I don’t have to press the unlock button?.. I’ll gladly pass on that one. This thread is s good example of how the Jeep community has changed greatly.
Changed for the better. No reason for the Jeep to remain as a dedicated off-road toy. Why buy a Grand Cherokee and a Wrangler when you can just have a nicer Wrangler? Buying two dedicated vehicles is for blue bloods.

Strommen95

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 GMC Canyon
Changed for the better. No reason for the Jeep to remain as a dedicated off-road toy. Why buy a Grand Cherokee and a Wrangler when you can just have a nicer Wrangler? Buying two dedicated vehicles is for blue bloods.
Jeeps have changed for the better. I wouldn't complain or care if remote proximity was standard. 99% of people would like that. But for people to say $495 is worth it when Sahara's/Rubi's are 40+ bare is insane. $495 so one doesn't press an unlock button? I can't believe people are complaining about that not being on more Jeeps. Like it or not, that is very telling about the Jeep community and not in a good way.

BillG

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Sting Gray JLUR / 15 Harley Tri glide / 50 Dodge Rat pickup
If it’s worth $500 to someone else, great. It wasn’t for me, I can push a button just fine. Didn’t get the safety package either. It has mirrors, a camera, and I have functioning eyes and a neck.

Sponsored

Majestic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 JKUR, 2019 JLUR
Jeeps have changed for the better. I wouldn't complain or care if remote proximity was standard. 99% of people would like that. But for people to say $495 is worth it when Sahara's/Rubi's are 40+ bare is insane. $495 so one doesn't press an unlock button? I can't believe people are complaining about that not being on more Jeeps. Like it or not, that is very telling about the Jeep community and not in a good way.
What could possibly be “not good” about it?
This is the wrong vehicle to play the “but is it really worth it?” game.
Jeep owners have never been accused of being overly rational.

suzookus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport S
Vehicle Showcase
I’ve never had a vehicle with this feature so I don’t miss it and don’t need it. I like the unlock button on the Fob.

My wife’s car has it and she loves it. Puts keys in purse and forgets about them.

pablo_max3045

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Rubicon
Occupation
Engineering project manager
$495 so one doesn't press an unlock button? I can't believe people are complaining about that not being on more Jeeps. Like it or not, that is very telling about the Jeep community and not in a good way.
So, because $495 is a lot of money to you, but is not for other people.. you are saying they are somehow worse than you?
You are a better person than I am because I couldn't give two shits about 500 bucks?
It seems like you are the problem if you think that. You should probably sell your JL and buy an old CJ. Then you can go on the CJ forums and tout your superior lifestyle.
No one is forcing you to order that option, BTW.

xeon

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Rubicon
Interesting thread. For me I am one of those people that paid the $495. I ordered my JLUR and when going through my punch list my dealer actually tried to talk me out of it. Said I didn't need it. He was probably right but I also know myself and if I didn't buy it I was always going to questions whether I should have...it also explains why I bought the jEEP with everything except the smokers package. After using it now for more than a year, I can honestly say that I rarely reach for my key fob. In most cases I need to open the rear door first....loading gear, removing gear....etc. So I have become accustom to just reaching for the handle and opening the back door. Nicely...it doesn't unlock the rest of the Jeep. And when my hands are full of taking things out...its easy to hit the button on the handle vs putting things down and grabbing the fob. The only time I really use the fob is when I have passengers that might get to the Jeep before me or if I need to remote start it. So in my opinion...i use both. For the $495, i get to choose what i use when and how I want to. Otherwise I was stuck with the fob. For me.... the $495 was well worth the price.

Strommen95

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 GMC Canyon
So, because $495 is a lot of money to you, but is not for other people.. you are saying they are somehow worse than you?
You are a better person than I am because I couldn't give two shits about 500 bucks?
It seems like you are the problem if you think that. You should probably sell your JL and buy an old CJ. Then you can go on the CJ forums and tout your superior lifestyle.
No one is forcing you to order that option, BTW.
$495 is not an incredible amount to me. Not chump change, but not a lot either. That doesn't mean I am going to pay $495 so I don't have to press a button on my fob. $100 would be too much for a feature like that. I don't care how wealthy one may be, paying $495 to not press the unlock button is absurd. You are free to order that option, and I'm free to say that paying $495 for that option is silly. People throwing their money away for options like this are a big reason why JL's are priced so close to luxury vehicles when they are not one.

Where did I say I was a better person, loved a CJ, or that I was forced to order the option? You've really reached quite a bit. The JL base is amazing, as are a good chunk of the options available. But there's also a lot of options that are priced way out of whack for what they are. Proximity, the power top, $2000 for auto over base, $1000 to go from 5 inch to 7 inch radio, etc. This is the stuff that makes a JL become unreasonable with price.

Sponsored

xj884x4

First Name
Jordan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
78CJ5, 88XJ, 97ZJ, 02WJ, 04WJ, 05TJ, 19JLUS
Our 2014 Prius 2 that cost $21k new came with the proximity remote lock/unlock sensor as a standard feature. No way I was going to pay $500 for this convenience technology on my 2019 JLUS that cost 2x the Prius. This is just a money grab from Jeep. Just like ordering upgrade wheels... your base price includes wheels/tires that essentially cost the same amount as the upgrade wheels/tires but you pay an extra $1500 for the upgrade and you don't get to keep the base wheels tires? C'mon... Wheel and tire upgrades should be $400 max and they still profit nicely.

pablo_max3045

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Rubicon
Occupation
Engineering project manager
People throwing their money away for options like this are a big reason why JL's are priced so close to luxury vehicles when they are not one.
Then find a different vehicle. Unless you are the one depositing money in our accounts, your opinion on what is "throwing away" money means nothing.
Dynatrac axles for a JL cost 17 grand. Is that throwing your money away? Things for Jeeps have never been cheap. Sure, you can buy cheap crap and replace it later, but quality costs money.
Where did I say I was a better person, loved a CJ, or that I was forced to order the option? You've really reached quite a bit.
This is your statement.
Like it or not, that is very telling about the Jeep community and not in a good way
You talking smack about the Jeep community because you are on some kind of high horse that other people want a modern vehicle with modern options. If you can't afford it or don't want to have it, then don't buy it, but don't go disparaging a community people you don't even know because they can afford it.
BTW, the expanded demographic and market for Jeep can only be a good thing for people who enjoy the after market and enjoy FCA actually putting in R&D money.

Majestic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 JKUR, 2019 JLUR
$495 is not an incredible amount to me. Not chump change, but not a lot either. That doesn't mean I am going to pay $495 so I don't have to press a button on my fob. $100 would be too much for a feature like that. I don't care how wealthy one may be, paying $495 to not press the unlock button is absurd. You are free to order that option, and I'm free to say that paying $495 for that option is silly. People throwing their money away for options like this are a big reason why JL's are priced so close to luxury vehicles when they are not one.

Where did I say I was a better person, loved a CJ, or that I was forced to order the option? You've really reached quite a bit. The JL base is amazing, as are a good chunk of the options available. But there's also a lot of options that are priced way out of whack for what they are. Proximity, the power top, $2000 for auto over base, $1000 to go from 5 inch to 7 inch radio, etc. This is the stuff that makes a JL become unreasonable with price.
Of all the dumb stuff people do to Jeeps, this is what has you worried about the direction of the Jeep community?

Strommen95

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 GMC Canyon
Then find a different vehicle. Unless you are the one depositing money in our accounts, your opinion on what is "throwing away" money means nothing.
Dynatrac axles for a JL cost 17 grand. Is that throwing your money away? Things for Jeeps have never been cheap. Sure, you can buy cheap crap and replace it later, but quality costs money.

This is your statement.

You talking smack about the Jeep community because you are on some kind of high horse that other people want a modern vehicle with modern options. If you can't afford it or don't want to have it, then don't buy it, but don't go disparaging a community people you don't even know because they can afford it.
BTW, the expanded demographic and market for Jeep can only be a good thing for people who enjoy the after market and enjoy FCA actually putting in R&D money.
Once again, you're reaching quite a bit. You're comparing axles to proximity entry. Do you not understand how horrible this comparison is? One serves a true, functional upgrade for a very specific buyer that offroads very hard. The other is an insanely priced useless option to not press an unlock button. The two couldn't be any different from the other. Why is this option not on most Sahara's/Rubicons on the lots? Because even the dealer know it's overpriced as hell.

You have a lack of reading comprehension. I never complained about wanting modern options at all, or modern options being on Jeep. That was not posted once. In fact, you seen me post that I wouldn't care if proximity was standard. I'm pointing out that paying $495 to not press your unlock button is silly, especially considering the base prices of Saharas/Rubicons. People begging to pay $495 to not unlock a door is self explanatory on why that's very bad. If you like it, by all means enjoy your option, it's your vehicle. That doesn't change that it's a rip off beyond words and will encourage further price hikes that are already very high.

S2k Chris

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
AP1 S2000, Rubicon 4xe
Occupation
Finance
Had it been available on the Sport I would've gladly paid for the option. I paid $195 for the damn Homelink, $495 for the proximity key is a bargain in comparison.

Here's how almost every morning goes for me in the winter:

I stand in my warm house and remote start the Jeep.
I gather all my kids' crap (backpacks etc) and gather them up to load them in the Jeep.
I stagger outside carrying all loads of their crap, key in my pocket and I go balance it all while I grab at the handle to open the trunk.
Then I reshuffle everything because I forgot to unlock the !#$^@#$ing Jeep.

Every. Damn. Morning.

Am I dumb? Yes. Would I pay $495 for it to autounlock so I didn't have to reshuffle everything to get in the Jeep? Also yes.

We're not asking for exotic tech here. Every Hyundai made in the last 5 years probably has it. But my $45k Jeep? Nope. And I'm not even bitching it was an option I'd have to pay for. I don't care. I'll pay. In fact, make it $1k and license the tech from Jag/Land Rover with the "lifestyle key" or whatever, the little fitbit band thing you wear to unlock a Jag/Land Rover, that would be even better, and perfectly aligned with Jeep's "Active lifestyle" branding.
Sponsored