Sponsored

Ongoing personal debate. Wrangler or an EV?

Yolobaggins

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Rav4
Been a first time Wrangler owner for about a year now and love every minute of it. I have no regrets

However, I keep having this internal debate on if I should trade in to get an EV instead, for 2 main reasons

1) Save $ in the long run.
2) Always been a fan due to being environmentally conscious

I have a feeling I will not be able to afford the full EV wrangler when it comes out based on the current 4xe price which doesn’t give you any advantage compared to an ICE IMO

So I am left up to constantly debating getting more bang for my buck EV by selling my Wrangler now. The problem is, the wrangler is just too much fun and nothing comes close to it!

Anyone here have experiences on other EVS vs a Wrangler, etc?
Sponsored

Reinen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler JL Rubicon
I'm sort-of in the same boat. I'm looking forward to having an off-road EV. The problem is that IMO they don't exist yet. The 4xe is a stepping stone and just amounts to the worst of both worlds. You're lugging around a full ICE vehicle and a short range EV all the time. I'm being patient because the technology is definitely progressing quickly. It will come and EVs will have more benefits that just environmental.

If you're looking for environmental justification for waiting, the carbon footprint of operating a Jeep is lower than the carbon footprint of producing a new EV. Given EV vehicle technology's rate of progression, todays EVs will be seen as quite obsolete before the end of the vehicle's lifetime. So the current environmentally responsible thing to do is drive your ICE vehicle until it's dead, then replace it with an advanced EV.

Beetroot

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon 4xe
Occupation
Medical Devices
If you don't need the EV to go offroad, trade in the Jeep now while used car values are high.

If you want a 4x4 EV, like Reinen said be patient and you'll have some good options in the next few years.

Yolobaggins said:
4xe price which doesn’t give you any advantage compared to an ICE IMO
Reinen said:
The 4xe is a stepping stone and just amounts to the worst of both worlds.
The 4xe is definitely a stepping stone, but in its defense the advantage is the huge boost in power over the other powertrains, not the efficiency. 375 hp 470 lb-ft for around the same price as the other engines after tax credit.

four low

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL
If you want a off road EV, check out Vanderhall's 4x4, it has 404up, and is called the " Brawley". Electric motors at each wheel, a full sized vehicle. Would love to see this do the Dakar Rally..

Mikester86

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLR
EV environmentally conscious? Not sure about that. Mining and disposal oh my. But that’s just me.

So if the powers that be are so dead set on saving the environment, why are ass hat billionaires rocketing into space for fun? 🤔

L1011

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'15 4R but hoping for a JLU
Yeah I've been on the fence on that too. For me, the model 3 performance is completely awesome yet I still crave the Rubicon. I can only get one and since I work from home, commuting isn't as big an issue as it was previously. Can't overland in a model 3 though so I think the Jeep will be my next purchase.
Sponsored