Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR, 2020 JLU Sahara
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Retired US Army
Vehicle Showcase
It’s been almost one year since I purchased my Badland Apex 12000 winch, so I thought I would leave a short review.

I’ve used it a number of times; pulling stumps, bushes, and trees, recovering other vehicles, and self-recovery practice. The winch has performed flawlessly! My previous Jeep had a Badland ZXR 12000, a much less expensive winch. It too saw a lot of use, with no malfunctions. However, it was extremely slow compared to the Apex, because of line speed and also because of pausing very frequently to cool down on long, heavy pulls.

The below comparison chart is from the Harbor Freight catalogue. It compares the Apex to the Warn Zeon 12-S. I would have zero hesitation to purchase and trust the Warn, except that it’s TRIPLE the price, and the specs of the Apex exceed the specs of the Warn, as you can see below.

I’ve had both of my Badland winches underwater multiple times, and covered in mud, and I’ve pressure-washed both many times. I do not know which one has superior longevity, but because of the price being a third of the Warn, I figured if it only lasts half of the average time of a Warn, I can purchase another one and still be ahead.

I know knowledgeable and experienced folks place their trust in the Warn over the Badland Apex because they don’t want to risk a critical winch failure at a critical time on the trail. That is not a concern for me because we don’t wheel alone.

I strongly encourage folks to seriously consider purchasing a Badland Apex, but they certainly cannot go wrong by going with a Warn.

Jeep Wrangler JL One Year Badland Apex 12000 Winch Review EC85DE36-2675-49C3-ADFA-891FEE47D6D9
Sponsored

Last edited:

BDinTX

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Rubicon Recon, 2021 JLU Rubicon
Apologies for the earlier comment.

Glad to hear you're having success with them.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Wabujitsu

Wabujitsu

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Retired US Army
Vehicle Showcase
Apologies for the earlier comment.

Glad to hear you're having success with them.
Brad, I didn’t see your earlier comment, so no worries! Besides, I’ve learned a lot this morning about this topic. I made the same post in a Jeep Facebook group. One of the things I’ve learned is that the chart posted above is VERY deceptive! That takes nothing away from the performance and reliability of the winch, though.

BDinTX

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Rubicon Recon, 2021 JLU Rubicon
it was no slight against you personally. A less abrasive recap would be that I just wish we, as a country, weren't so dependent on overseas manufacturing.

What about the chart isn't straight forwards?

Bill_P

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 2023 JLUWSXR
Occupation
Can't tell you..shhh
Another thing about HF. Right before you buy the winch join their Inside Track club. I joined and within a few days I got a coupon for 25% off any single purchase. Cost $30 to join for a year and I saved $150 on the winch within the first 2 weeks. They've jumped $50 on the winch in the past couple of months though. Retail was $599 when I got mine.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Wabujitsu

Wabujitsu

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Retired US Army
Vehicle Showcase
it was no slight against you personally. A less abrasive recap would be that I just wish we, as a country, weren't so dependent on overseas manufacturing.

What about the chart isn't straight forwards?
Brad, it’s deceptive. HF did not pick the most comparable Warn winch to compare it to. They should have compared it to the Evo; the prices are much more in alignment.

OP
OP
Wabujitsu

Wabujitsu

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Retired US Army
Vehicle Showcase
Another thing about HF. Right before you buy the winch join their Inside Track club. I joined and within a few days I got a coupon for 25% off any single purchase. Cost $30 to join for a year and I saved $150 on the winch within the first 2 weeks. They've jumped $50 on the winch in the past couple of months though. Retail was $599 when I got mine.
Bill, that’s exactly what I did, except I didn’t have to wait. I received the discount immediately (the cashier had the coupon at her register).

XJfanatic

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU, 2020 JT, 1990 Mustang
Build Thread
Link
I got to use by Apex quite a few times out at Redbird last month. Partly due to the iconic mud of that place but also due to it being the first time my father in law had driven anything off-road. It’s the reason I gave him the JL and I took the TJ.

In short I have nothing negative to say, it worked flawlessly. The wireless was nice as it allowed me to control it while he focused on controlling the vehicle.

When I get some extra cash one will end up on the JT. The TJ will probably get the standard badlands with some synthetic line thrown on it

Electrified

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 392XR
I am interested in purchasing this winch but I’m not finding very many long term reviews so thanks for the info here. One thing that I think pushes the price of the Badland up is the necessity of the extended warranty with is $179 as of this writing. That tends to erase much of the price difference between this and the Warn Evo.

Sublime

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 HellaYella Rubicon
I am interested in purchasing this winch but I’m not finding very many long term reviews so thanks for the info here. One thing that I think pushes the price of the Badland up is the necessity of the extended warranty with is $179 as of this writing. That tends to erase much of the price difference between this and the Warn Evo.
I've saved MUCH more throughout the years not buying extended warranties to more than pay for something that ends up breaking prematurely.

Sponsored

Electrified

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 392XR
I've saved MUCH more throughout the years not buying extended warranties to more than pay for something that ends up breaking prematurely.
Agreed but a 90 day warranty really makes me nervous.

rcadden

First Name
Ricky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Hydro Blue Sahara Altitude
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Marketing
Clubs

Also, check your credit card benefits - in many cases, they'll provide a benefit that doubles the manufacturer's warranty on anything you buy.

I never buy extended warranties.

Cycle11111

First Name
Alastair
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 2 Door Wrangler Sport
Brad, it’s deceptive. HF did not pick the most comparable Warn winch to compare it to. They should have compared it to the Evo; the prices are much more in alignment.
I actually have a Badlands Apex 12000 on my JL and a Warn Platinum 12000 on my van. I would never buy that Warn winch again. The wireless remote is literally a joke. The remote is rechargeable but the implementation is so bad that it is obviously constantly talking with the winch even when switched off so the battery constantly dies. Last about 4-6 weeks between charges. In addition there is no wired option when the remote dies. I have had my Badlands for a year now and the wireless remote is still rock solid but you also get the cable option in the event your batteries die.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Wabujitsu

Wabujitsu

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Retired US Army
Vehicle Showcase
I actually have a Badlands Apex 12000 on my JL and a Warn Platinum 12000 on my van. I would never buy that Warn winch again. The wireless remote is literally a joke. The remote is rechargeable but the implementation is so bad that it is obviously constantly talking with the winch even when switched off so the battery constantly dies. Last about 4-6 weeks between charges. In addition there is no wired option when the remote dies. I have had my Badlands for a year now and the wireless remote is still rock solid but you also get the cable option in the event your batteries die.
Alastair, I may have a solution for you to fix the Warn. Perhaps you can open the solenoid box and remove the wireless receiver, and install a different wireless receiver kit, many of which are available on Amazon. I got this kit https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0891R1XN1?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details and installed it in my wife’s new Smittybilt winch, which doesn’t have a wireless remote option. It works perfectly. Also, you can install a manual power cutoff switch under the hood, also a cheap and easy solution. Good luck!

Cycle11111

First Name
Alastair
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 2 Door Wrangler Sport
I did solve the problem but a major pain and ridiculous for how much this winch costs. I put in a magnetic cut off switch in the remote to completely disconnect the battery for the remote. I then also pulled the winch on/off switch up to the dash inside my van. With both of those it significantly improved the situation. Again for the cost of that winch that is nuts.
Sponsored