cwadle

First Name
cameron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Granite JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
Now, ive had my 2019 Rubi for over a month now, and have noticed no problems so far, EXCEPT attempting to enter a car wash with the top! The first car wash I entered included a pressure washing system spraying directly down at the roof of the car, which first off sounds terrifying, but also led to slight leaking in the back left and right of the roof. Alright, no problem right! I'll just find a different car wash that doesn't include the pressure wash. Well, next up comes the car wash that includes a high power dryer blasting air directly down at the power top, temporarily bending the roof in as if someone was standing on it. Anyways, Again terrifying!
Now you might say, Why not just wash it yourself?
Well, without the drying process, you'd either require a heated garage, a ton of towels or weather above freezing (Michigan winter) .
Anyways, Not a huge worry, just wondering if anyone has found a carwash without these issues, or has been scared themselves with the power top?
Sponsored

RubenZ

First Name
Ruben
Threads
Reaction score
Website
myjlproject.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford F-250, 18’ Toyota 4Runner
Thats why I don't opt for Soft Tops or top that has some type of fabric. They almost always leak way more than a hard top does. The Car Wash you go to can you not opt out of the drying process?

sf5211

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
New 2019 JL
Occupation
Plumber
Vehicle Showcase
I have the sky One Touch as well. My Jeep will never see an automated car wash. I get up early on a Sunday morning and do it myself unless it’s below freezing. If so and the Jeep’s dirty then I go to one of those hand car wash places

SecondTJ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
Soft top = hand wash only

Only hard tops can go thru automatic car washes

cjaama

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
Soft top = hand wash only

Only hard tops can go thru automatic car washes
I was beyond hesitant, but I've gone through with my soft top about 15 times, no leaks, no damage.
The manual warns not to use it because of potential damage to the windows and wax buildup. No damage to the windows at all and they're very easy to scratch. If they were going to scratch, it probably would've happened by now.
Wax buildup? To me that seems like something you'd want . Anyway, I'll probably give the soft top a good handwash soon using the Bestop cleaning kit to maybe get some of the wax off.
The car washes I use are newer and "soft touch", so that might be working in my favor.

Sponsored

S2k Chris

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
AP1 S2000, Rubicon 4xe
Occupation
Finance
Why are you guys washing your Jeeps? Jeeps like to be dirty. Salt off the body/underside I get, but other than that, it's a Jeep, leave it out in the rain if you want it washed. I've had mine 11 months and washed it once because my 7y/o daughter wanted to.

M0ondogy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
I was beyond hesitant, but I've gone through with my soft top about 15 times, no leaks, no damage.
The manual warns not to use it because of potential damage to the windows and wax buildup. No damage to the windows at all and they're very easy to scratch. If they were going to scratch, it probably would've happened by now.
Wax buildup? To me that seems like something you'd want . Anyway, I'll probably give the soft top a good handwash soon using the Bestop cleaning kit to maybe get some of the wax off.
The car washes I use are newer and "soft touch", so that might be working in my favor.
I'd imagine that it will still shorten the life of the top. Instead of it making it to 15 years (for example) it'll only make it 11 thanks to the stress and abuse of a car wash.

cjaama

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
Why are you guys washing your Jeeps? Jeeps like to be dirty. Salt off the body/underside I get, but other than that, it's a Jeep, leave it out in the rain if you want it washed. I've had mine 11 months and washed it once because my 7y/o daughter wanted to.
They look good very dirty and they look good very clean. Nothing in between.

I'd imagine that it will still shorten the life of the top. Instead of it making it to 15 years (for example) it'll only make it 11 thanks to the stress and abuse of a car wash.
That's the way I look at it. I'm not driving something that I can't stand to look at because just so it will hold up for the fourth owner. They'll still have the hard top to fall back on anyway.

grady2hig

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon JLU, 2017 Toyota Sienna XLE 4WD
Why did you even try to go through an automated car wash? You had to have had a gut feeling it wasn't a good idea.

I hate them anyway...all those weird waxes and rain-x crap.

Sponsored

NewJLU2019

First Name
Curtis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon Unlimited 2019 Sahara Unlimited
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Now, ive had my 2019 Rubi for over a month now, and have noticed no problems so far, EXCEPT attempting to enter a car wash with the top! The first car wash I entered included a pressure washing system spraying directly down at the roof of the car, which first off sounds terrifying, but also led to slight leaking in the back left and right of the roof. Alright, no problem right! I'll just find a different car wash that doesn't include the pressure wash. Well, next up comes the car wash that includes a high power dryer blasting air directly down at the power top, temporarily bending the roof in as if someone was standing on it. Anyways, Again terrifying!
Now you might say, Why not just wash it yourself?
Well, without the drying process, you'd either require a heated garage, a ton of towels or weather above freezing (Michigan winter) .
Anyways, Not a huge worry, just wondering if anyone has found a carwash without these issues, or has been scared themselves with the power top?
Good Day, I am not being hateful but by NO MEANS should you ever take even a Hard Top in automated car Wash. Soft top or Sky Top not made for those. I hand wash mine even cold weather. Sorry to be blunt.

ViperJon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Punk'N Wrangler JL Rubicon
Some people want to take care of something they paid a lot of hard earned money for? Just a wild guess.

OP
OP
cwadle

cwadle

First Name
cameron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Granite JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
Good Day, I am not being hateful but by NO MEANS should you ever take even a Hard Top in automated car Wash. Soft top or Sky Top not made for those. I hand wash mine even cold weather. Sorry to be blunt.
It gets quite difficult to wash the car outside in Michigan winters, due to the below zero temps.

NewJLU2019

First Name
Curtis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon Unlimited 2019 Sahara Unlimited
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
It gets quite difficult to wash the car outside in Michigan winters, due to the below zero temps.
I can understand that. I know its not as cold here but when its below 32 I wash in the sun and it gives me time to dry. You would have 15 degrees and that still want work. I guess without garage to pull in to dry that is hard. Car washes with the Wands are not open that cold I guess there either. Wish I hand good answer.

sf5211

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
New 2019 JL
Occupation
Plumber
Vehicle Showcase
I can’t speak for Michigan but here in NYC there’s plenty of those indoor hand wash places. I tried washing my Jeep right at 32 degrees last winter, big mistake. I was literally ice skating and almost went down about 10 times. Plus I had to salt my sidewalk so someone else doesn’t end up owning my Jeep.
Sponsored