c20040215

First Name
Leon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport S; 2023 Honda Civic Sport Touring
Vehicle Showcase
I got curious and went back and read the original post. Its really not worth it to spend 13+ page to discuss someone's opinion.

One time we were out on trail 16 at Windrock TN, a buddy of mine had a transmission oil leak on his JK that ruined his day. It turned out to be one of the transmission lines rubbing against the new MC skid plate he installed prior to the trip. Can I say had he had an manual transmission it wouldnt have happened. Thus MT is superior than At blah blah blah.... ?
How ridiculous that sound?

And if no one in your group can wheel and crawl with a properly set up MT Jeep, you should find a new Jeep club.

hoch

First Name
Hoch
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
Year 2030: Manual vs Auto.

Manual: Jeeps driven by humans. Vastly inferior.

Auto: Self-driving Jeeps. Perfect lines. No spotters needed, zero stalls, never get lost, forget only eating a cheeseburger or drinking coffee while driving, you can cook up a steak, pour some wine, and floss your teeth. Everyone (including toddlers) can drive it. Trail driving can also be simulated by staying at home and watching it on tv. Canā€™t wait!

Jeep Wrangler JL One more reason auto is vastly superior to stick in crawling {filename}

mgroeger

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 2.0T, 1991 YJ rock crawler
Occupation
I make microchips for a living.
Vehicle Showcase
Year 2030: Manual vs Auto.

Manual: Jeeps driven by humans. Vastly inferior.

Auto: Self-driving Jeeps. Perfect lines. No spotters needed, zero stalls, never get lost, forget only eating a cheeseburger or drinking coffee while driving, you can cook up a steak, pour some wine, and floss your teeth. Everyone (including toddlers) can drive it. Trail driving can also be simulated by staying at home and watching it on tv. Canā€™t wait!

Jeep Wrangler JL One more reason auto is vastly superior to stick in crawling {filename}
We just got done with the Winter 4x4 Jam here in Hurricane and I had a guy on my trail in an auto. I kid you not that guy stalled at least 6 times on that trail. I've never seen an auto stall that much.

Sponsored

hoch

First Name
Hoch
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
We just got done with the Winter 4x4 Jam here in Hurricane and I had a guy on my trail in an auto. I kid you not that guy stalled at least 6 times on that trail. I've never seen an auto stall that much.
Iā€™ve had similar happen in my old 2018 Tacoma (auto). Around 25% grade, it would stall at times. No explanation why. Started right back up on level ground. Dealer couldnā€™t replicate it, of course.

OP
OP
J0E

J0E

First Name
J0e
Threads
Reaction score
Website
bt39.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLR, 05 LJR on 43s
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Drywall construction - reel estate
AT advantage is back to 4. You don't need to regear when you get bigger tires.

Ummm... not true and I'm not going to even get into as why.
So you disagreeing with all the other MT advocates saying the problem was too high of gearing? Or are you saying you can crawl with 38's on a stock JLR gearing + MT? I can crawl vertical with 38's in M2, although I always manually shift my auto to M1 when going vertical. That's the great thing about the MT advocates:

• it's takes high skill in a MT - but then they blow off, what about when you need a random low MT skill driver to take the rig out.
  • You just need the correct lower gears. Then they deny you don't need to regear when you go to 38's.
So the stock geared JLS got new front axle shafts and we descended the same long single lane trail to get to the river bottom. The JLS in lead. Discovered another important AT advantage when we hit a HUGE tree blocking the road. My 12" Ryobi 18 V chain saw wasn't going to cut that. Too many trees to winch it out of the way.

As mentioned in the first page, it's very difficult to crawl out going forward in low range. Now everyone has to back up several hundred yards. No place to turn around. At least he had low range with me behind him. I used my 12K superwinch to get him through all the difficult boulders. Now he's crawled out of the river bed over a dozen times going forward in low range, bumping it at the difficult obstacles. But doing it in reverse was too much with my winch help. It was a PITA for me, but the great backup camera gave my neck a rest on occasion.

So the list is up to 5, and this one needs to be near the top. You're forced to back up on a long difficult line. Now rather than 5.13, you've got 4.49

mgroeger

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 2.0T, 1991 YJ rock crawler
Occupation
I make microchips for a living.
Vehicle Showcase

So you disagreeing with all the other MT advocates saying the problem was too high of gearing? Or are you saying you can crawl with 38's on a stock JLR gearing + MT? I can crawl vertical with 38's in M2, although I always manually shift my auto to M1 when going vertical. That's the great thing about the MT advocates:

• it's takes high skill in a MT - but then they blow off, what about when you need a random low MT skill driver to take the rig out.
  • You just need the correct lower gears. Then they deny you don't need to regear when you go to 38's.
So the stock geared JLS got new front axle shafts and we descended the same long single lane trail to get to the river bottom. The JLS in lead. Discovered another important AT advantage when we hit a HUGE tree blocking the road. My 12" Ryobi 18 V chain saw wasn't going to cut that. Too many trees to winch it out of the way.

As mentioned in the first page, it's very difficult to crawl out going forward in low range. Now everyone has to back up several hundred yards. No place to turn around. At least he had low range with me behind him. I used my 12K superwinch to get him through all the difficult boulders. Now he's crawled out of the river bed over a dozen times going forward in low range, bumping it at the difficult obstacles. But doing it in reverse was too much with my winch help. It was a PITA for me, but the great backup camera gave my neck a rest on occasion.

So the list is up to 5, and this one needs to be near the top. You're forced to back up on a long difficult line. Now rather than 5.13, you've got 4.49
HOLY F*CK I can't believe I am even responding to this nonsense. Who the &*^% said you don't need to regear with a manual. I can't keep track of all the retardedness on this thread. Here's the deal... people can and will do whatever the &*(^ they want... it doesn't mean it is right.
If you are running larger tires REGARDLESS of if it's a manual or auto you should regear to get the best crawl and climb performance you can. Do you have to? Obviously not but if you want the correct mechanical advantage you should always regear with bigger tires regardless of your tranny.
I had 4.88 gears in my manual and loved how it crawled with 37s. I still think 5.13s would have been better IMO.

hoch

First Name
Hoch
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
This thread is just soā€¦..dumb. Iā€™ve wheeled autos. They did just fine. My Jeepā€™s a manual. I stall. Occasionally stink up the cabin with clutch fumes. I love it.
If youā€™re so insecure that youā€™ve got to post about this online to make yourself feel better (especially posting a pro/con list in your sig??? šŸ¤£), remind me never to go wheeling with you. Ever. šŸ˜‚

Sponsored

2nd 392

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Grand Cherokee srt.V10 Dodge 4x
I have the ten speed automatic in my Camaro SS convertible. It is a blast to put it into manual mode and use the paddle shifters. The auto function is way faster than me. When I whip on it in manual mode, and go WOT from a launch, the 6.2 liter motor revvs so fast it is hard to keep it odd the rev limiter. In auto mode, it is way faster.

The cool thing is if you are on the roll, I can put it in track mode, down shift it and hold the gear in prep to go WOT.
Yepā€”I was hoping OR+ 4Hi was more like sport mode, especially MDS disable and down shifts. šŸ™

Reactions: J0E

MrMischief

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Rubicon
One more reason stick is vastly superior to auto in crawling...

cooling lines on the auto are susceptible to damage that turn your Jeep into a paper weight.

Reactions: J0E

grimmjeeper

First Name
Roy
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.grimmjeeper.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler, 1987 Comanche, 1997 F250
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
enginerd

Jeep Wrangler JL One more reason auto is vastly superior to stick in crawling umm

OP
OP
J0E

J0E

First Name
J0e
Threads
Reaction score
Website
bt39.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLR, 05 LJR on 43s
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Drywall construction - reel estate
Are you saying that you're running 38s on stock gearing? Yep... this guy's Jeep is going to burn down.
Based on what? Me wheeling hard every weekend for a year and never getting the AT hot?

HOLY F*CK I can't believe I am even responding to this nonsense. Who the &*^% said you don't need to regear with a manual. I can't keep track of all the retardedness on this thread. Here's the deal... people can and will do whatever the &*(^ they want... it doesn't mean it is right.
If you are running larger tires REGARDLESS of if it's a manual or auto you should regear to get the best crawl and climb performance you can. Do you have to? Obviously not but if you want the correct mechanical advantage you should always regear with bigger tires regardless of your tranny.
I had 4.88 gears in my manual and loved how it crawled with 37s. I still think 5.13s would have been better IMO.
Who the &*^% said you don't need to regear with a manual.
Double LOL. You might want to reread what I wrote.

That's an AT advantage and you admit you should regear a MT.

If you are running larger tires REGARDLESS of if it's a manual or auto you should regear to get the best crawl and climb performance you can.

Triple LOL. So you're saying on non-rubys right with stock tires you should regear> Try reading what I've posted, I can climb vertical in D2, but I manually shift to M1 and climb vertical. Almost all the talk on regearing JLR/JLUR AT's in this forum is the goal of better highway performance and hitting D8. So explain to me why I should regear when the 8 speed + 4:1 xfer case + 4:10 stock gears work so great? But you don't deny that you'd have to regear a MT to crawl.

A friend I wheel with is a used car salesman and sales a lot of Jeeps, tells me I won't get a penny more when I sell it by putting in lower gears. He said 98% of the buyers are mall crawlers. This is a test rig until I build my new Ruby on D70's.

You can spew an ad hominem attack, but you've got no counter argument to:
  1. Climbing out of a difficult trail in 2HI.
  2. Backing out of a difficult trail in 4 Lo - probably more common than 1.
  3. Having a non MT driver pilot your rig out of a difficult trail.
  4. Having to shift on a long, up hill, very bouncy line.
  5. Backing up or pulling a trailer over curb, rocks, trees, other obstacles.

This may not be a fair comparison, My JLR 2.0 AT vs a JLUR 3.6 MT going up this hill. It's so slick and steep you need momentum. But the hill is so bouncy you can't start fast, you need the speed the last 25 feet. The MT guy is an amazing wheeler, far better than me. But he can't make that hill and I can.
Jeep Wrangler JL One more reason auto is vastly superior to stick in crawling avatar

Jeep Wrangler JL One more reason auto is vastly superior to stick in crawling 2022-10-03 11.19.14

This is where you let the AT shift from D2 to D3:

Jeep Wrangler JL One more reason auto is vastly superior to stick in crawling 2023-01-23 08.37.11

It's difficult for me in my rig. I'm sure I could do it easily in a 392 AT.

This thread is just soā€¦..dumb. Iā€™ve wheeled autos. They did just fine. My Jeepā€™s a manual. I stall. Occasionally stink up the cabin with clutch fumes. I love it.
If youā€™re so insecure that youā€™ve got to post about this online to make yourself feel better (especially posting a pro/con list in your sig??? šŸ¤£), remind me never to go wheeling with you. Ever. šŸ˜‚
remind me never to go wheeling with you. Ever. šŸ˜‚

You're disinvited. Another ad hominem attack, but at least you admit some MT disadvantage. Everyone else, let's go wheelin in Hawaii where very few locals go and no tourists go. Lot's of lifted Rubicon on Turo and even one rental company has them.

Last edited: