• Total voters

JABCAT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 GC High Altitude 4x4, '22 JLU on order
Occupation
College Professor
The way I'm spec'ing them both out, the difference is more like $13k, but your point is well taken. Am I getting any incremental value out of the additional spend? From the sounds of it, I'm definitely getting more fun-factor, but fun-factor always wears off.
If it’s going to be your primary vehicle, then I can see maybe going with the 392. But then again, my Wranglers are my top off, take the mountain bikes, be able to go in any type of weather fun vehicle. I have another vehicle that takes care of my high-performance, speed, curvy country road driving fun needs. At the end of the day, it’s still a $40k Jeep with a $10k engine in it for $80k with the same crappy Jeep dealer service. That’s where I get hung up on spending the $.

HungryHound

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1975 CJ-5, 1983 CJ-5, 1998 TJ, 2021 JLURe
I am a little worried I’ll have some mental adjustments to make if I don’t have the 392 power.
With the torque curve, I'd hazard to guess that the 4xe might be ahead of the 392 at 1/8 mile and not too far behind at 1/4 mile. Top speed is another story, but all that torque at zero rpm makes the 4xe a great rock crawler in my experience.

OP
OP
Dwightrerskine

Dwightrerskine

First Name
Dwight
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘22 JLUR XR, ‘20 Q7, ‘19 S5
I can tell you from experience. I own a 392 X-RAY and a JLUR ( non X-R) 3.6. I like both, but the 392 puts a smile on my face every time I drive it.
BTW I also own a Audi S6, and you will be disappointed with the fit and finish of the Jeep compared to your Audi.
The 392 will not disappoint you other than constant stopping at the gas station. As for the exhaust noise, you can turn the performance exhaust off ( I thought it would get annoying after a while, but I never turn it off) .
it does get quite a bit quieter with the exhaust off.
Tim
This is super helpful. Thank you! Thankfully I'll still have my wife's '20 Q7 in the driveway. I'm not ready to walk away from Audi just yet!

Sponsored

Jamrock

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Suzuki
I think that there is an error in your logic.

People buy Jeeps because they are fun vehicles. Not because they are good long term investments. I bought my house for the long term. I have never purchased a vehicle for the long term.

If you like the outdoors and you want a vehicle to take you there. If you like automotive stuff. If money is not an issue. If you just want to add a little spark to your otherwise serious, responsible, organized life.

To answer your question. The 392 is relatively new so we really don't know what will happen in the long term. If you want to play it safe, buy a Rubicon. We know what to expect there.

If you think you will lie in bed at night and wish you had purchased the 392, go for it. Make some contingency plans in case things don't work out the way you want.

Life is short. Enjoy it. One day your loved ones are going to put you in a box and that will be the end of that.

TheBirdie72

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler Freedom Edition 2 Door
One day your loved ones are going to put you in a box and that will be the end of that.
Coffins are a waste of wood. I’m going the “burn me to ashes route.” They can sprinkle me into Ray’s Creek at Augusta National Golf Club, or dump me off as they take on an obstacle on the Rubicon Trail. Either way, I’m good and probably won’t notice. 😂👍

John VonJeep

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Many
I have a Rubi XR and love it. The 4.56 gears + 8-speed are a wonderful combination. It is plenty quick for my needs and geared nicely for trail work.

However, it sounds like you're looking for that "fun factor." Get the 392.

Shibadog

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Sport S hardtop
Occupation
Safety &Fire Protection Engineer (Retired)
Just a couple points. If you are serious about overlanding range does become an issue (yeah I know you can carry rotopacks etc, but range still is important). Secondly, unless things have changed I believe the big 392 is electronically governed so “speed” is basically mute (and it probably should be-a Jeep at super high speeds would be a fish out of water. The vehicle is not designed or intended at a high speed or GT. So what the 392 brings to the table is quicker acceleration. Nice to have and fun to play with but certainly not critical to the Jeep experience. Off road stuff is about torque and gears. The old military Jeeps and CJ2’s and 3’s had no power (60?) but they went literally everywhere. Many moons ago a buddy stuck a 283 Chevy (190 hp) in a CJ2. It was fun (though it tended to toast clutches) but it wouldn’t go anywhere the old four banger couldn’t. Ultimately it’s your choice of course but look carefully at how you are actually going to use this thing before you buy it. I’d love to play with a 392, but my dream Jeep would be my JL with the 2.0 Turbo diesel😏. (Never even offered here). Different strokes/different folks.

OP
OP
Dwightrerskine

Dwightrerskine

First Name
Dwight
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Coffins are a waste of wood. I’m going the “burn me to ashes route.” They can sprinkle me into Ray’s Creek at Augusta National Golf Club, or dump me off as they take on an obstacle on the Rubicon Trail. Either way, I’m good and probably won’t notice. 😂👍
+1 for Rae’s Creek. For those that you’ll be leaving behind, tell them it’s easiest to sneak onto ANGC via Augusta Country Club. 😂

Sponsored

wranglernoob2019

First Name
GT
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR 19 Firecracker Red
Vehicle Showcase
392 is terrible choice for overlanding. if you are traveling with family & overloading and has gear too then 392 is heavy and wont do well on mud and will get bogged down. You will also have gas and fuel anxiety. Keep the jeep light and have the range for overlanding a people say nobody complained about power on Rubicon XR with 4.56 . I was in the exact same situation as you are and went with rubicon XR.

usmamg

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Corvette, 2022 Rubicon ER
Hi all. Not a noob to these forums but am close – hours, not days – to making my first and perhaps only Wrangler purchase. (I know, I know. That last statement is a huge assumption!)

Quick background: I’ve driven tons of JLU and JLURs in the last 3 years on test drives and long-term rentals. I almost bought one 2 years ago until my wife convinced me to get another Audi instead. So I’m not going into this completely blind.

I need some advice from this forum’s members who have been around the block a few times. I’m ready to drop my ’19 Audi S5 for either a 392 XR or a loaded Rubicon XR. Its been on my family’s radar for several years to buy a Jeep and we are now in a position where the switch makes sense. We see this purchase as my near-term daily driver for a few years that transforms into a long-term project vehicle that the whole family will enjoy building out and driving.

What’s it going to be used for?
  • Daily Driver - for the next 2 – 3 years only and I only drive about 7k miles per year
  • Mall Crawler - the curbs and potholes at my Publix are vicious!
  • Driveway Queen - because I have no shame
  • Rock Crawler - but only a little
  • Overlanding - hopefully a decent amount
An important factor in how this is likely to be used: As much as I can say we want to be overlanding / crawling once a month, its probably going to be more like four or five times a year at most. The desire to build out an overland / crawler Jeep are more about spending time with the kids, teaching them how to build stuff and to help them understand vehicles better. The actual trips are icing on the cake.

So what’s my issue with deciding?
I love everything about the 392: fast, big, loud, less ubiquitous than a normal Rubicon. However, I’m worried the vehicle’s negatives will be a huge pain in the ass over the long-term: fuel consumption, extra weight, loud exhaust that never shuts up, etcetera; especially as it relates to doing a (mostly) overland build.

The flip side is the Rubicon, which everyone knows and mostly loves. It’s just not a 392!

Price is mostly irrelevant. What I don’t want to do is buy a 392 because its cool and then sell it / start over in 2 – 3 years’ time.

What say you? Again, remind you that I’m looking for something we can live with for a long time. If enough 392 owners / testers can tell me that my concerns are overblown, then great! I’m on the fence for what I believe are valid concerns though.

TLDR: Near term money isn’t an issue, but long-term reliability and drivability are. Can’t decide between the 392 XR and a loaded Rubicon XR. I want something that my family can live with for the long term – perhaps 10+ years.
292 is over priced
Needs premium gas
Only about 200 mile range
Extra power will not add value—get a corvette if you want power😂

roaniecowpony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 14 GMC 1500 CC All TERRAIN
Occupation
Retired Engineer
Another help me decide thread. 🤪

OK, I'll play.

No 392? This is the view of a Prius you'll see.
Jeep Wrangler JL One Jeep for the Long Term – Seasoned Advice Needed maxresdefault (1)

You have a 392? This is a view you'll see in the future.
Jeep Wrangler JL One Jeep for the Long Term – Seasoned Advice Needed gas (1)

OP
OP
Dwightrerskine

Dwightrerskine

First Name
Dwight
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Another help me decide thread. 🤪

OK, I'll play.

No 392? This is the view of a Prius you'll see.
maxresdefault (1).jpg

You have a 392? This is a view you'll see in the future.
gas (1).jpg
Haha! I know. I dreaded contributing to the endless stream of buyers on here who act like they can’t even decide what clothes to put on in the morning. And yet, here we are! 😂

Prius comment is pretty funny.
Sponsored