392 XR or Rubicon XR for the long-term?

• Total voters

Shibadog

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Sport S hardtop
Occupation
Safety &Fire Protection Engineer (Retired)
One thing to think about-the 392 does like fuel. You are talking 10 + years downrange. Fuel is not going to get less expensive, and with the push toward electrification the situations not likely to improve. I’d recommend one of the smaller gassers, OR if you want something “higher tech/performing” you might check out the 4XE. Also, for your usage (as noted) you’d likely be happier with a Sahara (Ride, civility, cockpit noise, etc.). Any model from a JL on will do the off roading you are looking at at the present time. An Audi is about as far from a Jeep as you can get and it will take some getting used to. YMMV.
Sponsored

Last edited:

WreckEm711

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Sport 6 speed
Definitely leaning towards the 392.

I’ve got some soul searching to do regarding the overlanding topic. I want the flexibility for both scenarios but in the near-term it’s likely to be most like you’re first example.
If it helps, with Jeep resale ability, if you get something you end up not liking, you’re not out much to switch it up.

That said, it sounds like there’s far less chance of you regretting the 392.

As you start building it out, adding heavy gear to it, and it starts getting more sluggish, the 392 is going to handle that without even noticing the difference hah.

BenDiem

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘19 991.2TT; 23 EVO RWD
Occupation
US Gov’t Contractor & Gym Rat
Sounds like you are somewhat of a car guy/performance guy. Based on that alone, I’d get the 392.
My second choice would be the 2.0T. I have it in my JL. This thing scoots like a scolded dog. Love it. YMMV.

I’d trade my 2door AE80 Sport on a 392 tomorrow, if Jeep offered the 392 with a more road appropriate wheel/tire package, to include better brakes and a better handling/suspension pkg! I’m 100% serious about this. Stellantis, pls offer this!
I’d prefer a 392 that could hang with a G63 AMG! YMMV.

GL/Cheers,
B

kenp1985

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Willys
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Sales
Vehicle Showcase
This is probably the type of advice I need, but I don’t do well with practical vehicle choices. 😁. I’m definitely the guy who always checks all the option boxes.
I originally wanted a JLUR because I like checking all the boxes too, but after realizing I’ll almost never use everything the Rubicon offers we ordered a loaded Willys w the 2.0L. Thought I’d miss the get up 4.10’s usually offer but I have to say this rig is perfect for us and does not disappoint with power. Best of luck with your decision, I voted for the XR but either way they’re both great rigs.

JABCAT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 GC High Altitude 4x4, '22 JLU on order
Occupation
College Professor
Jeeps aren’t sports cars, so imo the 392 is overkill for what you want. Also, as others have mentioned the standard engine has more than enough power, and usable power to handle the things you want.

That said, I’d also agree that the Willys is probably a better choice. You can equip it very similarly to the Rubicon (Willys XR) and you also not spending more money up front for items you may end up modifying or swapping out.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Dwightrerskine

Dwightrerskine

First Name
Dwight
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘22 JLUR XR, ‘20 Q7, ‘19 S5
Sounds like you are somewhat of a car guy/performance guy. Based on that alone, I’d get the 392.
My second choice would be the 2.0T. I have it in my JL. This thing scoots like a scolded dog. Love it. YMMV.

I’d trade my 2door AE80 Sport on a 392 tomorrow, if Jeep offered the 392 with a more road appropriate wheel/tire package, to include better brakes and a better handling/suspension pkg! I’m 100% serious about this. Stellantis, pls offer this!
I’d prefer a 392 that could hang with a G63 AMG! YMMV.

GL/Cheers,
B
The 392 brakes are concerning to me. The idea of having to do a BBK early on makes me cringe. The tires aren’t exactly made for street performance either.

Agree it would be amazing if it could hang with a G63!

MSparks909

First Name
Miles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Rubicon 3.0
Thanks for taking some time to come back to this.

Anything else concern you about the 392 model (besides the usual quality control issues that seem to pop up)?
Not at all. Granted I’ve only got 600 miles on it, picked it up ~2 weeks ago, but this is the most fun vehicle I’ve ever driven. And I’ve driven quite a few sports cars, tuned diesel trucks, etc. For me the brakes are fine. It’s not a G Wagon or Land Rover Defender with the V8 and it doesn’t pretend to be. Don’t go into it with sports car handling (IE your Audi) expectations. But for a factory true off-road vehicle this thing takes the cake 100%. Land Rovers aren’t off-road vehicles. They’re luxury SUVs with a brand pedigree. If I could afford another one right now I’d buy it just to hold onto it.

Last edited:

hiimmike

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Wrangler JLUR
Occupation
Network Engineer
Sounds like you’ve got money. Why aren’t you looking at a G-wagon and modding that so you can overland comfortably? Would definitely be less ubiquitous than a Jeep.

OP
OP
Dwightrerskine

Dwightrerskine

First Name
Dwight
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sounds like you’ve got money. Why aren’t you looking at a G-wagon and modding that so you can overland comfortably? Would definitely be less ubiquitous than a Jeep.
Ha! A new AMG G63 would be pushing it. I think they start at $140k.

That would be badass though.

alksion

First Name
Josiah
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Rubicon 392, 21 Sahara Altitude
Occupation
Biz Owner
The 392 brakes are concerning to me. The idea of having to do a BBK early on makes me cringe. The tires aren’t exactly made for street performance either.

Agree it would be amazing if it could hang with a G63!
I love my 392 but I’m going to upgrade the breaks in the next few weeks. Definitely lacking.

Sponsored

Megawatt

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
3 money pits: Turbo Busa, Road King, 22JLUR snazz
Occupation
Powerplant operator
When my wife and I go camping we stuff the JKU with everything we need for a few days. There is not any spare space inside the JKU or in the trasharoo. Sometimes we have to bring our own firewood (it’s a desert out here no trees in sight)

If you are truly overlanding (multi day exploring) have you calculated the space and fuel requirements a 392 will need when your out in the boonies? Big trucks are good overlanders because they have buku room for stuff and necessities.
I vote RXR only because you mentioned overlanding. Everything else says for you to get the 392.

buzz998

First Name
Gerald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR
i didn't vote for either. i know...seems lame. i currently own a 2020 sahara with the 2.0 e-torque on 35s with a rock krawler 2.5" lift. the dang thing runs amazing. it is a blast. that being said, i am thinking of going to a rubicon. if money was no object i'd probably buy a 392 for the sheer power. i like power. but that being said. money being an object, i would more than likely go with a 4xe and have good pick up, decent mileage, and save some cash over the 392 and buy another 11-14 mustang gt to play with.

i'd do a 4xe now but i have my reasons for not spending quite that much at this time...although i may.

just my thought because i enjoy a runner but i'd rather drive a car fast than a jeep. i like taking a jeep off-road. you don't need to go fast there...

OP
OP
Dwightrerskine

Dwightrerskine

First Name
Dwight
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
When my wife and I go camping we stuff the JKU with everything we need for a few days. There is not any spare space inside the JKU or in the trasharoo. Sometimes we have to bring our own firewood (it’s a desert out here no trees in sight)

If you are truly overlanding (multi day exploring) have you calculated the space and fuel requirements a 392 will need when your out in the boonies? Big trucks are good overlanders because they have buku room for stuff and necessities.
I vote RXR only because you mentioned overlanding. Everything else says for you to get the 392.
I was just looking at Rotopax options 10 minutes ago. Honestly, this entire thread has moving me away from the 392.

DougJaneway

First Name
37NDJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Wrangler JLUR
Occupation
Local Government Official
If you really want the fun of building out a jeep, get a loaded 2.0 Rubicon and do you own lift, tires, gearing, etc. That's what I did. The more built it is from factory the more money you're throwing away as you upgrade off road parts. The 2.0 handles my 35s great. I come from driving sport sedans and it definitely doesn't feel slow for what it is. The turbo sounds cool in my opinion as well.

baskiboat

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon 4XE, Sting Gray
My wife has a 2019 S5. Love that car. I sold my 17 A4 when my 4XE arrived. JLUR with Mopar lift on 37's. The Jeep is different than the Audi but I grin every time I drive it. My son just ordered a 22 JLUR XR. He got the V6. I think it is the best long term bet and the XR Rubicon package is perfect for the long term. You won't go wrong with that. You don't know how you will use it down the road and having all the extras straight from the factory is the lowest hassle option.
Sponsored