Banned
Banned
First Name
Brennan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Wrangler Unlimited
If price is irrelevant as stated the answer is obvious...buy the 392. All Wranglers and especially Rubicon trims have insane residual values , so a 392 will have an even higher one. I suspect they will be similar to a Ram Trx, Ford Raptor and BMW M3 in terms of their depreciation curve.

However if you only drive 7k a year, why would fuel consumption be a negative, especially if price is irrelevant? A 3.6L in Rubicon form will only get 5-8mpg better than a 392.
Sponsored

Last edited:

BroncoHound

First Name
Bud
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR / 2022 JLURD
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Taxi driver-in-training
Where's the guarantee you'll be alive in 10 years?

My impression is you're a car guy and your heart lusts for the 392. You've also stated that you have the means. Get the Jeep that makes you happy NOW; tomorrow isn't promised to any of us.

If you find your choice lacking for your needs/wants in 10 years, get a new Jeep. I don't see the reason to lock yourself into a "must be a 10-year purchase" type of decision. Jeeps have outrageously low depreciation values and the 392 will likely go into collector status within 10 years and hold their value as much or more than other Rubicon Jeeps.

Conversely, in 10 years the aftermarket will likely have ready-made solutions for nearly all of the 392's shortcomings. Part of the Jeep ownership "experience" is the aftermarket, which it sounds like you're familiar with and already planning on, so the 392 will just present some different challenges that you and your kids will have to plan out to overcome to make your Jeep the overlander (or rock crawler, or drag racer, or whatever you ultimately decide you want it to excel at) you all want it to be.

Just my take. A Jeep is a passion vehicle. Get the Jeep your passion is yearning for.

Equitasforall

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon 4xe
Occupation
I could tell you, but then....
This is probably the type of advice I need, but I don’t do well with practical vehicle choices. 😁.
If this is the case, not to be rude or anything, but why then did you come here looking for practical advice? Just go ahead and get the 392. It’s what you want. You know that already. You also know that you’re in a position where if it doesn’t work out like you envisioned you can move on from it relatively painlessly. When was the last time you kept a vehicle for 10 years? So just skip to the end. The 392 is calling…

And don’t forget to post pics when you get it! Enjoy!

OP
OP
Dwightrerskine

Dwightrerskine

First Name
Dwight
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘22 JLUR XR, ‘20 Q7, ‘19 S5
If price is irrelevant as stated the answer is obvious...buy the 392. All Wranglers and especially Rubicon trims have insane residual values , so a 392 will have an even higher one. I suspect they will be similar to a Ram Trx, Ford Raptor and BMW M3 in terms of their depreciation curve.

However if you only drive 7k a year, why would fuel consumption be a negative, especially if price is irrelevant? A 3.6L in Rubicon form will only get 5-8mpg better than a 392.
You make an interesting point about depreciation that I had not considered. 👍🏼

I hear you about the fuel consumption too. I’m not exactly light footed with my current car and only get in the teens on MPG. The difference is that I rarely make multi-state trips with my Audi. The Jeep may only get ~7k in daily driver miles, but I plan to use it much more than that recreationally.

Sponsored

JLRyder

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUS
Like many have already said, the days of the V8 are numbered if Uncle Sam has his way. Get the 392.

OP
OP
Dwightrerskine

Dwightrerskine

First Name
Dwight
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
If this is the case, not to be rude or anything, but why then did you come here looking for practical advice?

And don’t forget to post pics when you get it! Enjoy!
You’re not being rude. If anything I’m being borderline rude. I woke up this morning concerned I may have come across as a tad bit smug with my thread. I’m genuinely seeking advice because I value the opinions of those who have come before me.

Price is irrelevant for this purchase but that doesn’t mean I want to spend $85k on a 392XR if others believe I might be happier with a $70k RXR. I went through a similar challenge two years ago. I ended up with the S5 instead of an RS5 after I realized I’d never be able to push the RS5 enough to make the investment worth it.

And I will definitely post some pics! 😁

TheBirdie72

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler Freedom Edition 2 Door
Where's the guarantee you'll be alive in 10 years
Best reason ever to buy the most expensive anything, ever!!! 😂 I mean, what’s the point of dying debt free anyway?! Not like your credit matters when you’re in the ground! That’s what I don’t understand- Why wouldn’t anyone over the age of 80 not own a 392? 😂

OP
OP
Dwightrerskine

Dwightrerskine

First Name
Dwight
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Best reason ever to buy the most expensive anything, ever!!! 😂 I mean, what’s the point of dying debt free anyway?! Not like your credit matters when you’re in the ground! That’s what I don’t understand- Why wouldn’t anyone over the age of 80 not own a 392? 😂
The 392 is the most YOLO and FOMO thing to do!

Sponsored

tjklein

First Name
Trevor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Rubicon
Hi all. Not a noob to these forums but am close – hours, not days – to making my first and perhaps only Wrangler purchase. (I know, I know. That last statement is a huge assumption!)

Quick background: I’ve driven tons of JLU and JLURs in the last 3 years on test drives and long-term rentals. I almost bought one 2 years ago until my wife convinced me to get another Audi instead. So I’m not going into this completely blind.

I need some advice from this forum’s members who have been around the block a few times. I’m ready to drop my ’19 Audi S5 for either a 392 XR or a loaded Rubicon XR. Its been on my family’s radar for several years to buy a Jeep and we are now in a position where the switch makes sense. We see this purchase as my near-term daily driver for a few years that transforms into a long-term project vehicle that the whole family will enjoy building out and driving.

What’s it going to be used for?
  • Daily Driver - for the next 2 – 3 years only and I only drive about 7k miles per year
  • Mall Crawler - the curbs and potholes at my Publix are vicious!
  • Driveway Queen - because I have no shame
  • Rock Crawler - but only a little
  • Overlanding - hopefully a decent amount
An important factor in how this is likely to be used: As much as I can say we want to be overlanding / crawling once a month, its probably going to be more like four or five times a year at most. The desire to build out an overland / crawler Jeep are more about spending time with the kids, teaching them how to build stuff and to help them understand vehicles better. The actual trips are icing on the cake.

So what’s my issue with deciding?
I love everything about the 392: fast, big, loud, less ubiquitous than a normal Rubicon. However, I’m worried the vehicle’s negatives will be a huge pain in the ass over the long-term: fuel consumption, extra weight, loud exhaust that never shuts up, etcetera; especially as it relates to doing a (mostly) overland build.

The flip side is the Rubicon, which everyone knows and mostly loves. It’s just not a 392!

Price is mostly irrelevant. What I don’t want to do is buy a 392 because its cool and then sell it / start over in 2 – 3 years’ time.

What say you? Again, remind you that I’m looking for something we can live with for a long time. If enough 392 owners / testers can tell me that my concerns are overblown, then great! I’m on the fence for what I believe are valid concerns though.

TLDR: Near term money isn’t an issue, but long-term reliability and drivability are. Can’t decide between the 392 XR and a loaded Rubicon XR. I want something that my family can live with for the long term – perhaps 10+ years.
It's funny because I'm in the exact situation. Decding between a diesel Rubicon and a 392. Not doing the XR package after some searching as the aftermarket options make more sense for me.

Looking forward to this thread!

JABCAT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 GC High Altitude 4x4, '22 JLU on order
Occupation
College Professor
I’d ask myself what the extra $32k gets me over the standard Rubicon? Realistically you could buy yourself 2 JLUs for the price of the 392.

Even going with the Rubicon XR pretty much optioned to the max, it’s only about $60k, so what does $25k+ more get you on the 392.

OP
OP
Dwightrerskine

Dwightrerskine

First Name
Dwight
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I’d ask myself what the extra $32k gets me over the standard Rubicon? Realistically you could buy yourself 2 JLUs for the price of the 392.
The way I'm spec'ing them both out, the difference is more like $13k, but your point is well taken. Am I getting any incremental value out of the additional spend? From the sounds of it, I'm definitely getting more fun-factor, but fun-factor always wears off.

OP
OP
Dwightrerskine

Dwightrerskine

First Name
Dwight
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
It's funny because I'm in the exact situation. Decding between a diesel Rubicon and a 392. Not doing the XR package after some searching as the aftermarket options make more sense for me.

Looking forward to this thread!
Did you see that TrailRecon dropped his diesel? I didn't watch the vid, but I think I read that he was frustrated with it overheating under a full load on the trail.

T Rose

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2001 TJ
I can tell you from experience. I own a 392 X-RAY and a JLUR ( non X-R) 3.6. I like both, but the 392 puts a smile on my face every time I drive it.
BTW I also own a Audi S6, and you will be disappointed with the fit and finish of the Jeep compared to your Audi.
The 392 will not disappoint you other than constant stopping at the gas station. As for the exhaust noise, you can turn the performance exhaust off ( I thought it would get annoying after a while, but I never turn it off) .
it does get quite a bit quieter with the exhaust off.
Tim
Sponsored