Sponsored

One Confusing part of the Rubicon vs. Sahara question.

Trav.city

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited JL Rubicon
Occupation
Sales Manager
Vehicle Showcase
For me it really had nothing to do with lockers and disconnects when I bought the Rubicon, although I will use them once in a while, probably not necessary. I also don’t plan on driving much in the winter. What is necessary with the rubicon especially if you plan on larger tires is the 410 gears and the Dana 44 front axle. If I planned on keeping the Jeep stock, Sahara probably would have been sufficient. Either way you really can’t go wrong.
Sponsored

Flopsy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Jeep JKU
Yep, 35s fit on a Rubicon JL no problem - drove one that way for a couple months before I got around to installing my lift. However, if your wife is really 5'2", keep in mind that she may have some trouble getting into the vehicle. Rubicons have compact rock rails instead of steps and even without a lift, they sit higher. Add 35s and you've added another inch. Add a lift and, well, get a step stool to leave in the vehicle...
I have a 2014 jeep rubicon 4dr that has 35's and a 3.5 inch metal cloak lift....she's used to the height lol

Nconnelly

First Name
Nicki
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Sahara
Saharas are WAY SUPERIOR at taking trips to the mall. The Rubicon bucks and fights these trips to shopping centers. It really hates smooth finished pavement. So for taking trips to the mall, the Sahara is way way better.
I don’t care for all the snarky mall comments it’s so stupid. Whatever someone wants to drive it for is fine it doesn’t make you any cooler because you take it through a mountain. Jeeps are a lifestyle and one lifestyle isn’t any better than the other. You might assume I take mine to the mall by the looks of me but you shouldn’t judge a book by its cover. Enjoy your jeep how you see fit!!

7098548A-8DA1-4D10-967C-BF82B274F2EA.jpeg

Nconnelly

First Name
Nicki
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Sahara
I don’t care for all the snarky mall comments it’s so stupid. Whatever someone wants to drive it for is fine it doesn’t make you any cooler because you take it through a mountain. Jeeps are a lifestyle and one lifestyle isn’t any better than the other. You might assume I take mine to the mall by the looks of me but you shouldn’t judge a book by its cover. Enjoy your jeep how you see fit!!

7098548A-8DA1-4D10-967C-BF82B274F2EA.jpeg
Oh and this is a Sahara by the way! It did just fine up the mountain

myoldmetal

First Name
Blake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 JLU Sahara, 14 Mustang GT, 17 Super Duty
Occupation
Construction Management
I agree with Nconnelly, and I also bought a Sahara. I wanted a manual trans Rubi, and the wife wanted an auto trans Sahara. She won, because she liked the esthetics of the Sahara, and the transfer case. The reality is that we only drive off road occasionally and the wife drives the Jeep to work. The transfer case was fantastic this winter with the record snowfall we got here in the PNW, and the Jeep went anywhere, just like a Jeep should.
Not sure why there are so many nasty comments on here but last I checked this was a JL forum, and all of us drive a JL. Can't we all just answer peoples questions with friendly thoughtful answers instead of arguing over what model JL is the best Jeep?

Sponsored

BillG

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Sting Gray JLUR / 15 Harley Tri glide / 50 Dodge Rat pickup
Compare it to sports. People can have a favorite game, but when you bring up the teams they follow, arguments and teasing start. This thread has put two teams against each other. Trash talk ensues. Some people can be aholes about it, but it’s mostly just fans being fans. Not worth getting bent out of shape over.

8flat

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
Oh and this is a Sahara by the way! It did just fine up the mountain
Sahara's are pretty damn nice and capable enough for most people's needs. I damn near bought one because I wanted the Auto4WD real bad...haha...it's hard to give that up after being used to having it for 15yrs in other rigs.

srt20

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR Ocean Blue
LMAO at all the people justifying their own jeeps to others.

WGAS what anyone buys for for whatever reasons. Whether you need to buy a Rubicon because you need to feel more manly, or you use the lockers and swaybar disconnect everytime you drive it, so what. Who's business is it other then your own?

Same for any other model. You buy it to go to the mall, or you get your leather seats covered in mud every weekend, who gives a rat's ass why you bought what you did.
Well, we ended up buying a Rubicon. The REASON we bought a Rubicon?? Because my wife wanted it. No other reason needed.....

Maybe I'll run over a curb at the mall, or maybe I'll rip the fenders off in the woods. Most likely both.

IronScott

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Sahara, 1992 Jeep YJ, 2002 Chevy Silverado
I really struggled with the decision between Sahara and Rubicon. I chose Sahara because I thought the Selec-trac would fit my needs better but I wanted the Rubicon look. I've spent thousands of dollars making my Sahara look like a Rubicon. I wish now I had just bought a Rubicon but what's done is done. I love my ride and can re-gear and add lockers if I need to. Too many people like to be douche bags. If you drive a Jeep, why rag on another Jeeper? I don't get, but I'm not a bully.

Patinito

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 MOAB "Saharacon"
Occupation
SysAdmin
Vehicle Showcase
I really struggled with the decision between Sahara and Rubicon. I chose Sahara because I thought the Selec-trac would fit my needs better but I wanted the Rubicon look. I've spent thousands of dollars making my Sahara look like a Rubicon. I wish now I had just bought a Rubicon but what's done is done. I love my ride and can re-gear and add lockers if I need to. Too many people like to be douche bags. If you drive a Jeep, why rag on another Jeeper? I don't get, but I'm not a bully.
Same here. I went to the dealer with all intentions of getting a Rubicon. When I arrived they just unloaded a MOAB which I had never seen or heard of. I liked the Sahara for its ride, leather interior/dash and liked the aggressive looks of the Rubicon and this model had both in the perfect amounts. After having it now for a few months I could not be happier. Get what you like and screw the haters.

Sponsored

Snayte

First Name
Nathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Sahara Hella Yella, 2017 Ram 1500 Longhorn
Same here. I went to the dealer with all intentions of getting a Rubicon. When I arrived they just unloaded a MOAB which I had never seen or heard of. I liked the Sahara for its ride, leather interior/dash and liked the aggressive looks of the Rubicon and this model had both in the perfect amounts. After having it now for a few months I could not be happier. Get what you like and screw the haters.
I would have ordered a MOAB if I could have gotten it with a black hardtop. Just do not like the body color hardtops. Got a Sahara like we had before and am happy with it. May be down the line line some mods to make it more aggressive looking but I probably have all the capability I need for any off-roading we might be doing in the near future.

robd1438

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU MOAB
Vehicle Showcase
Like many others, I contemplated this a lot too. I have/had no intentions of rock crawling and extreme trails. Some light trails, mudding, etc are all I saw in my future. I was set on the Sahara, until I saw the MOAB. To me, the MOAB is a perfect mix of the two. I know there's a lot of controversy on here (stupid in my opinion) on why people would buy a MOAB but to me it was the selec-trac and leather dash (didn't care for red dash in the rubicons and living in new england selec-trac is great) as well as a good mix of the rubicon hood and steel front bumper. That and it had all the other features I wanted (LED, proximity, 8.4, etc.). The ONLY thing I would've liked from the rubicon are the dana 44's and the gearing. I've had my MOAB for 4 months and love it. Have a 3" lift on it, running 35's and Falcon steering stabilizer and it runs great! Get what you want, what you like and what resonates with you and enjoy every minute of it!

Young04

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Earl 392
Why didn't you get a MOAB?

IronScott

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Sahara, 1992 Jeep YJ, 2002 Chevy Silverado
Why didn't you get a MOAB?
At the time I just wanted the 2.0L turbo, which wasn’t available in the MOAB. That’s the only reason I didn’t get the MOAB. I have some regret and worry about the longevity of the turbo but I do love how it drives.

Edit to add: I love my Sahara so far but I’ve learned so much since I originally ordered it back in September. If I was able to start over I’d order a Rubicon with the 3.6, because the Rubicon has the look and options I want and the 3.6 is proven and less complicated. I’m new to the Wrangler world but want to keep this JL for a long, long time if possible. I just hope the 2.0 doesn’t let me down.

Nash

First Name
Nash
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep jk rubicon
I was looking at an online build of a Jeep with everything that I wanted from a Sahara, the LED lights, the 8.4 inch Uconnect and the cold weather group. In British Columbia, Canada a 2019 Sahara comes to $62,192 CAD after sales tax.

In short the Rubicon is an off-road vehicle the Sahara is more of a road friendly option. being geared 4:10 on the Rubicon also makes it a little bit more thirsty on gas but will make you enjoy 35 inch tires without the loss of power

A 2019 Rubicon is $67,850 CAD, so a $5658CAD differences, It seems like the extra equipment and capability of the Rubicon is worth much more than that price difference so why would someone want a Sahara over a Rubicon when it seems like you're getting so much more for your money? What options or capability does a Sahara have that you can't get with a Rubicon?
Sponsored