Sponsored

One Confusing part of the Rubicon vs. Sahara question.

ThirtyOne

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.jeepdoodles.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon, 2017 Chevy Tahoe
Build Thread
Link
Ha, my wife is looking into a jeep jl wrangler (thanks to the chick bikini color). She's debating between the sahara and the rubicon loaded. For us after the invoice discounts, its a $1800 difference between the rubi and sahara. So price doesn't even really make a big difference here in my opinion.

She's really interested in that selec-trac since we get some snow here in MD, but she will want at least 35's on that eventually anyways (she already brought that up) so just thinking of the gears/axle's and such.. I already have my 2014 jk rubi which is used on some rock crawling so got that part covered. She may take it off road, but I don't think it would be any serious crawling since we have my current jk.

Tough decisions lol
If she is thinking of doing 35s on a Rubicon with no lift an no re-gear that would make me lean towards the Rubicon. Otherwise I would stick with the Sahara if that's the way you are leaning. You are going to pay for the lift either way and even if you re-gear it's about a wash.
Sponsored

SecondTJ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
First model year was 2003, so I’ll give you 16.

But my point stands. Jeep has been around for 78 years. Rubicon 16. So if we are going to debate that the only viable off-roader is the rubicon, I’d like to rest my case on the testimony of anyone who has owned a Jeep from 1941-2002. . .
Point is valid. Math is just wrong, again. 17 model years :)

1. 2003
  2. 2004
  3. 2005
  4. 2006
  5. 2007
  6. 2008
  7. 2009
  8. 2010
  9. 2011
  10. 2012
  11. 2013
  12. 2014
  13. 2015
  14. 2016
  15. 2017
  16. 2018
  17. 2019

Shooting or Jeeping

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR, 2019 RAV4
Point is valid. Math is just wrong, again. 17 model years :)

1. 2003
  2. 2004
  3. 2005
  4. 2006
  5. 2007
  6. 2008
  7. 2009
  8. 2010
  9. 2011
  10. 2012
  11. 2013
  12. 2014
  13. 2015
  14. 2016
  15. 2017
  16. 2018
  17. 2019
We are both right. 16 years, 17 if you are counting model years...

SilverSahara

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara
OMG, that dash!!!!! You're so right. I hate that dash. I think you can actually order the Rubi with a silver dash though.[/QUOTE]
I’ve seen black, but damn, that red makes me cringe.

BLACKMOAB

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Black JLU MOAB, 2021 Black Lexus GX 460
There’s also good natured teasing in the Jeep community between models, modifications, colors, etc. There always has been. Sometimes in text it’s hard to tell who’s being an ahole, and who’s saying welcome to the family. Not to mention that many are first time owners and aren’t expecting the teasing.
Buy what you want, but expect teasing no matter what.
You’re totally twisting the truth here. In actuality, Rubicon owners always start the threads with condescending comments about the other models. Then when others defend their reasons for what they chose, you attribute your verbal abuse to “good natured teasing”, which is a total cop out as you’re simply stirring shit making fun of non-Rubicon owners trying to get a rise out of them. If this isn’t factual, find one thread started by a non-Rubicon owner making fun of the Rubicon and post a link. Why should newcomers to this forum who are excited about their Jeep purchase have to be subjected to and expect to be teased? They aren’t joining a fraternity where hazing is an expected ritual. Luckily there’s just a few of you that constantly do it, but you can always be counted on to make your presence felt.

Sponsored

Arterius2

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara 2.0L
You’re totally twisting the truth here. In actuality, Rubicon owners always start the threads with condescending comments about the other models. Then when others defend their reasons for what they chose, you attribute your verbal abuse to “good natured teasing”, which is a total cop out as you’re simply stirring shit making fun of non-Rubicon owners trying to get a rise out of them. If this isn’t factual, find one thread started by a non-Rubicon owner making fun of the Rubicon and post a link. Why should newcomers to this forum who are excited about their Jeep purchase have to be subjected to and expect to be teased? They aren’t joining a fraternity where hazing is an expected ritual. Luckily there’s just a few of you that constantly do it, but you can always be counted on to make your presence felt.
Im not so sure about that. I’m a Sahara owner and I don’t really feel the tease/harassment as you described here. Actually most of the time it’s generally Sahara/Sport owners starting the topic asking for comparison or advice with their purchase decisions. And I generally see people giving pretty sound and financially effective advices.

It’s not so much the member’s fault but rather FCA themselves that segregated the trims in a way that favors the Rubicon, I can even see that myself as Sahara owner as I start looking for options beyond staying stock.

You don’t see other brands/vehicles reserving lockers for their absolute top trim level like they do for the Wranglers. So I can understand the disconnect here.

BLACKMOAB

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Im not so sure about that. I’m a Sahara owner and I don’t really feel the tease/harassment as you described here. Actually most of the time it’s generally Sahara/Sport owners starting the topic asking for comparison or advice with their purchase decisions. And I generally see people giving pretty sound and financially effective advices.

It’s not so much the member’s fault but rather FCA themselves that segregated the trims in a way that favors the Rubicon, I can even see that myself as Sahara owner as I start looking for options beyond staying stock.

You don’t see other brands/vehicles reserving lockers for their absolute top trim level like they do for the Wranglers. So I can understand the disconnect here.
Read through this thread for some of their best work. And by the way, their first thread was removed by the moderators because they got so out of hand.

https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/fo...t-understand-why-the-thread-was-closed.24742/

Arterius2

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara 2.0L

BLACKMOAB

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Oh yea, that one.. Actually I wished I had a Moab so I didn't have to toss a whole bunch of time and money away modding my Sahara :giggle:
Careful saying that - you’re just opening yourself up for added harassment.

Arterius2

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara 2.0L
Careful saying that - you’re just opening yourself up for added harassment.
Oh a side note, imagine the rage it would cause if Ford only reserved lockers on their F-150 unless you shelled out for a Raptor. Or if 4Runner only gave you lockers unless you get the TRD Pro..

The way it looks FCA is basically pigeonholing you into getting a Rubicon.

Sponsored

BillG

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Sting Gray JLUR / 15 Harley Tri glide / 50 Dodge Rat pickup
I stand by my previous post. I stated that some were aholes, and some were kidding around. Most people can tell the difference and not get triggered. It’s not just trim levels, but colors, accessory fanboys etc.
As I stated before, buy what you want. That’s all that matters. You’re not going to please everyone, but it’s not their Jeep either.

Disclaimer: no Jeep forum or gathering of more than two dissimilar Jeeps has ever been a designated safe space. There will be teasing over tops, auto vs manual, number of doors, model, trim level, and accessories chosen. You have been warned.

Last edited:

ThirtyOne

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.jeepdoodles.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon, 2017 Chevy Tahoe
Build Thread
Link

Flopsy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Jeep JKU
If she is thinking of doing 35s on a Rubicon with no lift an no re-gear that would make me lean towards the Rubicon. Otherwise I would stick with the Sahara if that's the way you are leaning. You are going to pay for the lift either way and even if you re-gear it's about a wash.
Yeah she deff wants big tires. 5ft 2 in wife and she wants bigger tires like on my jeep lol. I know JK's really well, not as much JL's. From what I understand she would have no issue driving 35's without a lift on the new jl rubicon right? She won't take it offroad (real off road) for a long while so I know she would eventually need a lift.

the 4.1 gears work fine for my JK and 35s, so there shouldn't be a problem with the JL 4.1 and 35's I'd assume. We don't live in any major mountains like out west so the gears work fine for my jk.

Thanks for the advice btw.

Flopsy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Jeep JKU
The selectrac TC with Auto4WD almost made me skip the rubi and order the sahara instead. Auto4WD is soooo nice on intermittent snowy/bare highways. Oh well.

Those lucky bastards in Kuwait can get a rubi with selectrac though...haha....what the hell?
Yeah select trac is the biggest thing that would stop her. She liked the MOAB, but it doesn't have the 2.0L engine and she loved that more than the 3.6. Plus those mud tires are loud as hell on that thing lol

And god yes, why can't they just put the selec trac on the rubi's here

Stickerhead

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 1997 TJ on 37’s, 2017 Powerstoke Tow Pig
Vehicle Showcase
You might be a Redneck if all you vehicles have lockers and a winch? Yes!
Buy the vehicle that suits your purpose. You can jack up a Sahara as well as a Rubi because you like the looks. Your paying for it, who cares what anyone thinks. All that needs to be explained is what the difference is and then decide if you need it!
I have a 97 TJ. Cheap SE 4 cylinder model but has air. It now has an AX15 transmission, Rubi transfercase out of and 03’, Dana 44 with ARBs with a long arm sitting on 37’s but still with my 4 Cylinder. Why you say did you spend that money on an SE and not get a 6 Cylinder? Because I could and enjoyed building it over the years. So no matter what model Jeep you have, buy what you want and who cares that someone has a Rubicon or Sahara. I wheel with mostly Rubicons but the were bought for this specific reason. I have a JLUR also. I wanted a Rubi because when My wife gets tired of it, it will be mine to mod the way I want it.
Sponsored