Sponsored

One Confusing part of the Rubicon vs. Sahara question.

limeade

First Name
Guy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
And Lockers never break? Clutch Packs can wear out (that well past the ownership for most who keep their rigs less than 8 years)however it is not a major maintenance expense anyway.

"The Terrain" what terrain, extreme rock climbing, for sure but the other 99% that is not an issue. It is laughable that Rubicon owners only talk in extremes, negating the other 99% of driving conditions.
It is a major expense as you'd need to install a whole new LSD carrier, bearings, and check/adjust the backlash on the ring gear.

Sure lockers break, in extreme traction situations and usually due to too much power. But you generally will break an axle shaft u-joint before a locker.
Sponsored

SecondTJ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
Wrangler’s OEM clutch based LSD has never been known for longevity or great performance.

Putting in a used take off OEM lsd would be a waste of money. Now an aftermarket gear-based LSD is a whole different story.

Alamo1

First Name
Brook
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUS
Occupation
Business Relations Manager
Wrangler’s OEM clutch based LSD has never been known for longevity or great performance.

Putting in a used take off OEM lsd would be a waste of money. Now an aftermarket gear-based LSD is a whole different story.
How much do those LSD usually run for? With install? Asking for a friend.

mgroeger

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 2.0T, 1991 YJ rock crawler
Occupation
I make microchips for a living.
Vehicle Showcase
If I were to get an LSD I would go for the geared version as well. Ball park $600 for the LSD.

Sponsored

SecondTJ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
Gear based LSD such as a Detroit TruTrac are in the $500-700 range. Maybe $250-500 in labor to install.

Problem is nobody makes one for the JL axles yet that I’m aware of

Tdkrum5

First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 White JLU Altitude
Vehicle Showcase
My LSD is on demand all the time, your lockers are limited to 4WD-low. When Lockers brake traction you are pretty much done for. Having the Front pulling locker and the rear intermitent LSD provides variables in leverage to help wiggle out.

Again 99% of Rubicon owners will use their lockers 1% of their miles (or less), When I am running 4-H with LSD be it dirt road, muddy trail, snow, ice, rain the Rubicon is limited to BLD unless in 4-low putting my setup in a much better traction position. Talking extremes is a waste of time when when it is such a rare if EVER event for most and a $1000 winch and bumper will get you out of those 1% situations when needed. This is speaking to the 99%.

My Self while I have front lockers I have used them once in more than 2000 miles of off road (Trails and service roads) and that was only to pull a rig out of the ditch.
What front locker did you put in? Did you keep the D30 front axle?

jdegrave

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Kia Forte, Pathfinder, JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Director Financial Systems Support & Governance
I personally bought the Rubicon over the Sahara for pure esthetics. I may do some mild trails at some point but mine is a daily driver and a mall crawler. There used to be a Moab edition which was essentially a Sahara dressed as a Rubicon which is a great compromise between the two trims. Can’t go wrong with with one,

RoadiJeff

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 2.0T Recon, 2018 3.6L GC High Altitude
^^^Same with us. Our Recon is my wife's dd and she has not let the tires touch dirt in 8 months of ownership.

Alamo1

First Name
Brook
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUS
Occupation
Thank you and everyone for your comments and considerations. I am merely picking up data points. But most importantly, thank you for not making me look like an idiot when going back to the shop and ask for whatever modifications I decide to go with regards to LSDs.

Sponsored

Headbarcode

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Stingray 2.0 turbo
Vehicle Showcase
One major thing that always seems to get overlooked in these type of threads. Tires don't always leave the ground on "extreme rock crawling". It just as easily happens on even simple fire roads, and other light to medium rated trails that get used by far more than 1% of jeep owners.

Here's an example of losing ground contact on a simple, and very commonly found dirt mound. I can finally use this in a non joking manner. :clap:
Jeep Wrangler JL One Confusing part of the Rubicon vs. Sahara question. 20201023_102215

mgroeger

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
One major thing that always seems to get overlooked in these type of threads. Tires don't always leave the ground on "extreme rock crawling". It just as easily happens on even simple fire roads, and other light to medium rated trails that get used by far more than 1% of jeep owners.

Here's an example of losing ground contact on a simple, and very commonly found dirt mound. I can finally use this in a non joking manner. :clap:
Jeep Wrangler JL One Confusing part of the Rubicon vs. Sahara question. 20201023_102215
Yet another reason IFS sucks... a disconnected Jeep would not be lifting that tire.

Alamo1

First Name
Brook
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUS
Occupation
Great point! Just called a local shop that said they could install an Advantek LSD in my JLUS for about 8 bills plus tax. That also includes the carrier kit.

lightsout

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 4xe Rubicon, 2018 Wrangler Sahara JL, Tesla S
Build Thread
Link
What front locker did you put in? Did you keep the D30 front axle?
Here is the front Locker does require changing the Carrier bearings, also depending on miles on exiting gears you may want to replace. I had my local 4WP do the install total cost was $1700 (and change). Also note Eaton Lockers have a long history of reliability. This is the retorfit for the D30

https://www.4wheelparts.com/p/eaton-dana-30-27-spline-3-73-up-e-locker-19818-020/_/R-BHXC-19818-020

mgroeger

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Here is the front Locker does require changing the Carrier bearings, also depending on miles on exiting gears you may want to replace. I had my local 4WP do the install total cost was $1700 (and change). Also note Eaton Lockers have a long history of reliability. This is the retorfit for the D30

https://www.4wheelparts.com/p/eaton-dana-30-27-spline-3-73-up-e-locker-19818-020/_/R-BHXC-19818-020
You are the first person I've heard who had a good experience w/ 4WP. I've heard nothing but horror stories about having them do work.
Sponsored