Sponsored

One Confusing part of the Rubicon vs. Sahara question.

Pig-Pen

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU
Occupation
jabroni
Clubs

I wonder if the Raptor owners try to convince the basic 4x4 f150 owners and Platinum f150 owners that they should have bought a raptor. I mean, why else would anyone need a 4x4 truck if not blasting through the desert and hitting sweet jumps!
Sponsored

SilverSahara

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara
I forgot to mention when you buy a rubicon and become just another “connie” it comes with a horse, a very high horse you use to look down on everything else, even though you just forked out more dough for a name and an extra button on the dash.

lightsout

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 4xe Rubicon, 2018 Wrangler Sahara JL, Tesla S
Build Thread
Link
I chose the Sahara for a couple reasons: I tow behind an RV and the weight of the Rubicon exceeds towing weight for most gas Motorhomes, second I have the Limited Slip Diff and since I will never rock crawl it is a better set-up for snow and wet trails here in the NW. Most guys rarely use their Lockers so $5K (Sahara vs Rubi cost) for lockers and Swaybar disconnects is really the main difference, very few people will be in locker required situations with their $55K rigs all but a few times. The only feature on the Rubi I wish I had was the sway bar disconnects (I installed manual quick disconnect on my Sahara).

Now if I was planning to go hardcore off road where damage is likely at some point it would not be with a newer JL Rubicon, I would buy and older rig that has mostly depreciated out and mod it for hardcore use. I do not need high $$$ Risk for great reward.

Just a hunch I think if you polled all the Rubi owners how many hours their Lockers were ON, the average would be minutes not hours or more. And for those that do not have lockers a $400-$800 winch will suffice in those few minutes. (I say this excluding significant rock crawling)

phatjoe

First Name
VJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ram Powerwagon, 2019 Wrangler JL Rubicon
If you really care about resale value you should get a base 4-door Sport.
Wrong! I had both a 2018 Rubicon AND a 2018 Sport S. The Rubicon sold within 2 weeks with an insignificant depreciation, whereas I sat on the Sport S for close to 3 months. I took more of a hit than I wanted....man the ridiculous offers I got on it.

Nothing holds its value like a Rubicon. And yes my experience speaks for the entire jeep industry :rock:

BLACKMOAB

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Black JLU MOAB, 2021 Black Lexus GX 460
Wrong! I had both a 2018 Rubicon AND a 2018 Sport S. The Rubicon sold within 2 weeks with an insignificant depreciation, whereas I sat on the Sport S for close to 3 months. I took more of a hit than I wanted....man the ridiculous offers I got on it.

Nothing holds its value like a Rubicon. And yes my experience speaks for the entire jeep industry :rock:
Your experience really proves nothing unless you’re talking only about selling 6 month old vehicles. I would think that you couldn’t really prove which holds their value better unless you polled a group of sales of at least 3 or 4 year old vehicles. The vast majority of sales of used cars aren’t in their first year of when they were bought new.

Sponsored

phatjoe

First Name
VJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ram Powerwagon, 2019 Wrangler JL Rubicon
Your experience really proves nothing unless you’re talking only about selling 6 month old vehicles. I would think that you couldn’t really prove which holds their value better unless you polled a group of sales of at least 3 or 4 year old vehicles. The vast majority of sales of used cars aren’t in their first year of when they were bought new.
My experience is both significant and insignificant hence my mocking last sentence....you dumb F.

ThirtyOne

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.jeepdoodles.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon, 2017 Chevy Tahoe
Build Thread
Link

All the valuation services and bank residuals disagree with you. But really they all hold their value well. It really shouldn't be a factor in people's decision making.

SecondTJ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
I have the Limited Slip Diff and since I will never rock crawl it is a better set-up for snow and wet trails here in the NW.
Keep in mind that the LSD is clutch-based and the packs usually wear out and need to be rebuilt before 50k miles

SecondTJ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
All the valuation services and bank residuals disagree with you. But really they all hold their value well. It really shouldn't be a factor in people's decision making.
Rubicon is hard to generalize in terms of residual these days because of the large spread in pricing. $43k base upto $62k loaded.

I’d think that a base Rubicon will hold its value better than a loaded one

Sponsored

lightsout

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 4xe Rubicon, 2018 Wrangler Sahara JL, Tesla S
Build Thread
Link
Keep in mind that the LSD is clutch-based and the packs usually wear out and need to be rebuilt before 50k miles
Dude this has been discussed at length here and you my friend are a victim of FAKE NEWS!!! and there is no crisis at the border, right?

SecondTJ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
Dude this has been discussed at length here and you my friend are a victim of FAKE NEWS!!! and there is no crisis at the border, right?
This must be your first Wrangler, welcome.

As history has shown over the last few decades with YJ/TJ/JK, the clutch-based LSD doesn't have a long service life. The only exception was the 2003-06 Rubicon which had a torsen-style LSD. No reason to bury your head in the sand.

Last edited:

BLACKMOAB

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Black JLU MOAB, 2021 Black Lexus GX 460
My experience is both significant and insignificant hence my mocking last sentence....you dumb F.
Your experience and credibility are both insignificant because you feel the need to resort to name calling ("dumb F.") rather than carrying on a civil debate. Take your attitude and foul mouth to the Taco forums where you belong since you obviously didn't like the two Jeeps you (supposedly) sold.

Last edited:

Goheels050917

First Name
Dustin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JLU (SOLD - March 2021)
Occupation
SD-WAN Engineer - Technical Author
LMAO at all the people justifying their own jeeps to others.

WGAS what anyone buys for for whatever reasons. Whether you need to buy a Rubicon because you need to feel more manly, or you use the lockers and swaybar disconnect everytime you drive it, so what. Who's business is it other then your own?

Same for any other model. You buy it to go to the mall, or you get your leather seats covered in mud every weekend, who gives a rat's ass why you bought what you did.
Before I got my jeep, I came on here to ensure that I was getting the correct one. I made sure to ask complete strangers what I should get and why I should get it. I really enjoyed some of the feedback I got as I know I made everyone completely happy with my purchase.

.....maybe one day I'll get enough balls to get what I want.

Goheels050917

First Name
Dustin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JLU (SOLD - March 2021)
Occupation
SD-WAN Engineer - Technical Author