Sponsored

Onboard Inverter Question - Charging 12v RV battery?

LincolnSixAlpha

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
I'm putting together an overland build for an upcoming trip, and included in this is an ARB fridge. I've got the fridge, and ARB Fridge wiring kit installed on my jeep. However I'd like to boondock for a bit, so I'm considering putting together a 12V battery kit to run the fridge while I'm stationary. While in transit, I'd like to recharge the battery, so I can either use the ARB adapter which uses 10AGW wiring all the way to the batter, or something like this well-rated charger that will tackle the 125Ah battery I plan on using:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000FRLO9Y/ref=psdc_15707061_t1_B00PKIBVU0

As I'm not an electrician, I'm just curious if it would simply make more sense to use the charger with the onboard inverter, or just plug that battery into the ARB 12v socket and let it charge in that manner?
Sponsored

robaw

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU MOAB (MOJITO!), 2009 Honda CBR600RR
I'm putting together an overland build for an upcoming trip, and included in this is an ARB fridge. I've got the fridge, and ARB Fridge wiring kit installed on my jeep. However I'd like to boondock for a bit, so I'm considering putting together a 12V battery kit to run the fridge while I'm stationary. While in transit, I'd like to recharge the battery, so I can either use the ARB adapter which uses 10AGW wiring all the way to the batter, or something like this well-rated charger that will tackle the 125Ah battery I plan on using:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000FRLO9Y/ref=psdc_15707061_t1_B00PKIBVU0

As I'm not an electrician, I'm just curious if it would simply make more sense to use the charger with the onboard inverter, or just plug that battery into the ARB 12v socket and let it charge in that manner?
The onboard inverter can't handle that much current. It's only rated at 150W (1.3A @ 115V).

brazos

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport, Giant singlespeed mountain bike, Hobie Revolution kayak
Occupation
Dog Feeder
As a fellow non-electrician, I submit that this will be your friend in the backcountry.
It has certainly been mine
38F03AFE-0E83-4C59-8D9F-0BB4DEA8B05C.jpeg

Seems like them batteries got more than they can do already.
I’m my own grid.

OP
OP
LincolnSixAlpha

LincolnSixAlpha

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
As a fellow non-electrician, I submit that this will be your friend in the backcountry.
It has certainly been mine
38F03AFE-0E83-4C59-8D9F-0BB4DEA8B05C.jpeg

Seems like them batteries got more than they can do already.
I’m my own grid.

I like how you think sir!

OP
OP
LincolnSixAlpha

LincolnSixAlpha

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
The onboard inverter can't handle that much current. It's only rated at 150W (1.3A @ 115V).
Yea, I knew it was kinda lean on its tolerances. I was just curious if I could get away with it, but I rethought the process and downsized thinking I can get away with something far cheaper. All of this overlander stuff is way overcooked/priced. I can make something more to my needs for about 125 bucks, and furthermore, with brazos share, my idea now is perhaps a search of craigslist for a nice, but used honda generator as an option, price wise.

Sponsored

Rahneld

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Ronald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Wrangler
Yea, I knew it was kinda lean on its tolerances. I was just curious if I could get away with it, but I rethought the process and downsized thinking I can get away with something far cheaper. All of this overlander stuff is way overcooked/priced. I can make something more to my needs for about 125 bucks, and furthermore, with brazos share, my idea now is perhaps a search of craigslist for a nice, but used honda generator as an option, price wise.

https://www.harborfreight.com/25-watt-solar-panel-63940.html ????

possibly on the roof?? Sure, it's dependent on weather...but you are in Arizona.... ; - )

brazos

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport, Giant singlespeed mountain bike, Hobie Revolution kayak
Occupation
Dog Feeder
If you go new, be sure to get the new 2200w. Same size, same price, just 10% more capable.
The 1000w is worth a look too, if you don’t need the extra power. It’s much smaller and lighter. Not as robustly built, and only warranted for 1 year as opposed to 2, though.
Warranty doesn’t really matter on Honda small engines though. They run forever.

OP
OP
LincolnSixAlpha

LincolnSixAlpha

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
If you go new, be sure to get the new 2200w. Same size, same price, just 10% more capable.
The 1000w is worth a look too, if you don’t need the extra power. It’s much smaller and lighter. Not as robustly built, and only warranted for 1 year as opposed to 2, though.

I think in lieu of the fact that I really don't want to deal with that secondary, auxiliary battery -- which actually starts the vehicle -- that I'm going to just invest in the Genesis dual battery setup. This is going to solve any issues pertaining to that little motorcycle battery (ie removal), and also providing me with what I need to run the refrig offgrid via that secondary group 24 battery.

OP
OP
LincolnSixAlpha

LincolnSixAlpha

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase

Your right, I think those little generators would run continuously for years if they had to. The Honda's are still fetching a good price on Craigslist.
Sponsored