Onboard freedom panel storage

jerethemiah

First Name
Jeremiah
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Sport
Question for those with hardtop JLU's - what do you do with your freedom panels when you go out for a ride/trail? Do you leave them at home? I've seen the storage bags, but the Mopar one looks like it'll block alot of my rear view. Plus I feel like they may bouce around alot on rougher trails. Is it a good bag? I'm in north GA and in the summer pop-up rains happen randomly, so it'd be nice to have them in the jeep to be able to pop them on just in case - or am I over thinking it? TIA
Sponsored

OldBlue

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
See my Signature
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Aerospace Forgings Test Lab
Vehicle Showcase
I just put them in the bag that came with my JLU. I leave them lay flat on the floor inside the bag.

And welcome, by the way.

rcadden

First Name
Ricky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Hydro Blue Sahara Altitude
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Marketing
Clubs

3 step process:
  1. Remove them and place them in the storage bag
  2. Put the storage bag out of sight
  3. Purchase and install a Bestop Sunrider for hard top
Seriously. It's pricey, but unbelievably worth it.

Chocolate Thunder

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
The freedom panel storage bag can be laid down flat in the back if you’ve got room. It’s designed so the panels won’t get damaged. Also, it can be stood up and the strap/handles looped over the headrests of the rear seats so that they’re stored upright. This leaves more rear cargo floor space. The top of the bag will be in your field of vision in the rear view mirror but it doesn’t block the view more than the spare already does.

Sponsored

JAF1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
The bag is nice if you plan to take them off in advance. But I always keep one of those cargo moving blankets with me, so I stack panel, blanket, panel in the back and it works great.

OP
OP
jerethemiah

jerethemiah

First Name
Jeremiah
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Sport
Wow, thanks for all the quick replies guys. I bought my JLU used and it didn't come with the storage bag. I'll pick one up online and give it a shot. I like the moving blanket idea too.

Chocolate Thunder

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Wow, thanks for all the quick replies guys. I bought my JLU used and it didn't come with the storage bag. I'll pick one up online and give it a shot. I like the moving blanket idea too.
Check the member marketplace. There’s always people selling them or sometimes giving them away.

IdahoJOAT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLURe Tuscadero, Black '05 Silverado
Vehicle Showcase
Check the member marketplace. There’s always people selling them or sometimes giving them away.
This comment wins.

Not all heroes wear capes my friend! :D

Sponsored

ElDoc72

First Name
Rogelio
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler unlimited Sport S
The freedom panel storage bag can be laid down flat in the back if you’ve got room. It’s designed so the panels won’t get damaged. Also, it can be stood up and the strap/handles looped over the headrests of the rear seats so that they’re stored upright. This leaves more rear cargo floor space. The top of the bag will be in your field of vision in the rear view mirror but it doesn’t block the view more than the spare already does.
Is there any particular way to keep the bag out of the way when not in use that doesn’t involve leaving it in the garage? I have mine rolled and tucked behind the back seats, but it’s kind of annoying how much real estate it uses.
Thanks for any pointers.

image.jpg

Megawatt

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
3 money pits: Turbo Busa, Road King, 22JLUR snazz
Occupation
Powerplant operator
@jerethemiah

The mopar bag has a hard foam bottom. It’s more than just a zippered bag it’s bulky so it’s protective but takes up some space when not in use.

Chocolate Thunder

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Is there any particular way to keep the bag out of the way when not in use that doesn’t involve leaving it in the garage? I have mine rolled and tucked behind the back seats, but it’s kind of annoying how much real estate it uses.
Thanks for any pointers.

image.jpg
I believe to store it upright and out of the way you have to have the area just behind the seat clear in order to stand it on its bottom and secure the strap around the rear seat head rests.

Last edited:

calemasters

First Name
Allen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon Unlimited, & Escalade
Occupation
Retired Mechanical Engineer
Question for those with hardtop JLU's - what do you do with your freedom panels when you go out for a ride/trail? Do you leave them at home? I've seen the storage bags, but the Mopar one looks like it'll block alot of my rear view. Plus I feel like they may bouce around alot on rougher trails. Is it a good bag? I'm in north GA and in the summer pop-up rains happen randomly, so it'd be nice to have them in the jeep to be able to pop them on just in case - or am I over thinking it? TIA
Once I left my freedom panels at home. Of course, 10 minutes later it started to rain. I think the Jeep storage bag is OK, but removing the panels from the Jeep and storing them in the bag and trying to secure the bag to the rear seat back is a pain. And if you get in a downpour, you better be quick. My other complaint on the storage bag (as you stated) it blocks my view in the rearview mirror. Also, the storage bag takes up too much space when not in use.

So yesterday, I broke down and ordered the Bestop Sunrider for the hardtop. I think it will be one of my favorite mods.
Sponsored