Sponsored

On Pavement: Sport, Sahara or Rubicon?

Shooting or Jeeping

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR, 2019 RAV4
Why would you want those in Houston ?
I’ll answer that- I love mine. After workouts, I’m sore. It helps losses my back a bit. Also, my work is kept at roughly -3000 degrees in the office, so after work thawing is nice.

Do I need it? No. Do I like it? Yes.
Sponsored

Shooting or Jeeping

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR, 2019 RAV4
Upgraded, yes. But when a vehicle's primary purpose is off roading, an upgraded suspension doesn't necessarily mean a smoother on road ride. In fact if anything it likely means the opposite, just as it would on most sports cars or heavy duty trucks. I'd guess the Sahara's suspension rides about the same as the sport or potentially slightly worse (but unlikely perceptible) but is also likely better at heat dissipation and more durable off road. That's usually what "heavy duty suspension" infers with off road vehicles.

Per Jeep:
Sport = Normal Duty Suspension
Sahara = Heavy-Duty Suspension with Gas Shocks
Rubicon = Performance Suspension

I was able to find part numbers for each of these, but after trying to research technical specifications for each shock I couldn't find anything meaningful to know what the actual difference was in stiffness. I'm guessing they're all monotube? I know our rubicon has monotubes.
I may be one of the few on here that have had both on their JL, so I can answer with expertise:

They drive very similar (Sahara and rubicon). Both have very similar parts, but the ruby is about an inch taller and a tad stiffer. I liked the ride of the Sahara (smoother), but I like the stability of the Rubi suspension. It’s a bit rough at times, but it is very similar in the highway.

And to officially answer the question on the shocks- Sahara and Rubicon have shocks that seem similar in size (the sports are much thinner).

WXman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
Recently purchased a JL Sport S. I test drove a Sahara and Sport back to back at the dealership. Couldn't see any significant difference performance wise between the two. Ultimately went with a Sport as it was closer to my budget and I really didn't need/care for any of the extra amenities the Sahara offered. Didn't even bother with the Rubicon as my off road needs are no where near Rubicon level and that is obviously significantly more expensive.

So after all that, my real question- purely for on pavement/daily driving, which of the 3 perform best as far as comfort/smoothness/handling... if any difference at all? I'm aware of the interior differences and off road capabilities, but it's difficult to find many reviews to differentiate between the three for any needs other than on the trail.

I should add I'm only talking about 4 door- unlimited.
Between the Sport and Sahara, they are the same in terms of powertrain and suspension. Even down to the same part numbers on the coil springs. So you shouldn't expect any difference in performance.

However, if the Sahara is available with a power drivers' seat that can tilt the lower seat cushion forward and backward, THAT is the one I would pick as the most comfortable on the highway. The Sport seats leave a lot to be desired in the area of comfort. It's funny, because on the way to work this morning I started thinking about the possibility of swapping JK seats into a JL Sport. If the side airbag is in the B pillar and not the seat itself, I may actually attempt to do this.

OP
OP
azamani

azamani

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited JL Sport S
Between the Sport and Sahara, they are the same in terms of powertrain and suspension. Even down to the same part numbers on the coil springs. So you shouldn't expect any difference in performance.

However, if the Sahara is available with a power drivers' seat that can tilt the lower seat cushion forward and backward, THAT is the one I would pick as the most comfortable on the highway. The Sport seats leave a lot to be desired in the area of comfort. It's funny, because on the way to work this morning I started thinking about the possibility of swapping JK seats into a JL Sport. If the side airbag is in the B pillar and not the seat itself, I may actually attempt to do this.
Interesting point, never really considered the seat a factor in terms of comfort. I've read several (usually taller) people complaining about the seat and roominess of the new JL's... I'm not sure how improved Sahara's are in that aspect unless the leather seats makes up for it for some people.

My biggest issue is there not being a dead pedal. Took a 3 hour road trip each way a few weeks back and noticed my left knee got a little sore. Didn't realize at the time but it was due to my leg resting in awkward positions the whole time.

WXman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
Interesting point, never really considered the seat a factor in terms of comfort. I've read several (usually taller) people complaining about the seat and roominess of the new JL's... I'm not sure how improved Sahara's are in that aspect unless the leather seats makes up for it for some people.

My biggest issue is there not being a dead pedal. Took a 3 hour road trip each way a few weeks back and noticed my left knee got a little sore. Didn't realize at the time but it was due to my leg resting in awkward positions the whole time.
Yeah that's why the M.O.R.E. dead pedal is a popular add-on for JLs. Would be nice if Jeep would give us something standard, but at least there are aftermarket options.

If you can afford it, leather power seats for the win!

Sponsored

Sean L

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 2017 Honda Accord, 2014 Yamaha XVS 1300
Occupation
Retired Marine, Construction Estimator
Vehicle Showcase
Yeah that's why the M.O.R.E. dead pedal is a popular add-on for JLs. Would be nice if Jeep would give us something standard, but at least there are aftermarket options.

If you can afford it, leather power seats for the win!
Are power seats optional on the 2019s? I'm not fully up to date on every single option update, otherwise there isn't any power seats on the JL from the factory.

old8tora

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 JK Sport
Are power seats optional on the 2019s? I'm not fully up to date on every single option update, otherwise there isn't any power seats on the JL from the factory.
Jeeps with power seats ? Don't make me laugh !

How about a power jack to change a wheel ?

How about a power cup lift to take a drink ?

Sean L

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Jeeps with power seats ? Don't make me laugh !

How about a power jack to change a wheel ?

How about a power cup lift to take a drink ?
Its nothing I've heard of until this morning, but I'm not sure if its even an option on the 2019. I don't complain about manual seats, its fewer ways for my wife to adjust the seat when she drives and I have to adjust it back.

olmectech

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Cherokee, Wrangler JL
Vehicle Showcase
I put Falcon 2.1 shocks on my sport and transformed it into a serious on and off-road machine. The ride quality is amazing.
I can go 100 percent faster off-road now. Almost zero body roll. Take mountain curves at 75 mph with no braking. I could go
on and on. Should be stock equipment. Shocks are the ticket.

Sponsored

old8tora

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 JK Sport
I can go 100 percent faster off-road now. Almost zero body roll. Take mountain curves at 75 mph with no braking. I could go on and on.
Sounds too extreme for safety . Even mountain goats don't do that .

old8tora

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 JK Sport
Its nothing I've heard of until this morning, but I'm not sure if its even an option on the 2019. I don't complain about manual seats, its fewer ways for my wife to adjust the seat when she drives and I have to adjust it back.

How about a memory position power seat with massage in the seat ? Like in an Escalade ?

Sean L

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase