On Board Battery Maintainer / Charger install

Altitude2020

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler JLU Altitude
Show me your on board battery charger / maintainer. I'm looking at the Noco Genius 5 x 1. I was thinking of placing the unit under the drivers side footwell with some sort of hinge spring bracket to drop down to use and push up when not used. Then running a trailer hitch wiring bracket to the rear of the Jeep bumper.

20230129_003658.jpg

20230129_003719.jpg

20230129_003736.jpg

Screenshot_20230127-235027_YouTube.jpg
Sponsored

JasonInDLH

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 15 Yukon Denali
Occupation
I’d Rather Talk Jeep’s!
I have mine setup like this for the time being. I have my Jeep apart while I do some audio work and will be moving it off the battery to a better location. The plug in the cowl works excellent. I keep it plugged in whenever it’s parked.

Jeep Wrangler JL On Board Battery  Maintainer / Charger install 15D98949-C3D6-4FEC-AC24-B3BE1AC0A725

Jeep Wrangler JL On Board Battery  Maintainer / Charger install 862073CF-EB5E-4BD2-9615-FB0BC6738D54

The tab in the next photo looks like it’s digging into the wire, but it’s not even close….
Jeep Wrangler JL On Board Battery  Maintainer / Charger install CE0C7128-CE1A-498A-9B65-3105C9128CB2

OP
OP
Altitude2020

Altitude2020

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I have mine setup like this for the time being. I have my Jeep apart while I do some audio work and will be moving it off the battery to a better location. The plug in the cowl works excellent. I keep it plugged in whenever it’s parked.

Jeep Wrangler JL On Board Battery  Maintainer / Charger install CE0C7128-CE1A-498A-9B65-3105C9128CB2

The tab in the next photo looks like it’s digging into the wire, but it’s not even close….
Looks good, I read your post and figured I should see other installs so I created this thread. I was thinking adding the plug to the rear bumper on a 7 pin trailer bracket. The unit placed in the driver or passenger side for quick removal to use on other batteries. The logistics of getting the wires through the firewall seems to be an issue. The passenger side firewall groet has the aux wires and I read that a person actually tore up some aux switch wires and the repair was labour intensive. So drivers side firewall maybe possible. I would run the extension without the female adaptervthrough the firewall gromet and terminate the extension inside the cab of the Jeep. That may work.

chicknwaffles

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 rubicon
Wow. these are all far more complicated than they need to be.

https://www.amazon.com/Battery-Tender-021-0128-Maintain-Damaging/dp/B00068XCQU/ref=sr_1_2_sspa?crid=3DS9S8WY6T6YI&keywords=battery+tender&qid=1674995475&sprefix=battery+tender,aps,129&sr=8-2-spons&ufe=app_do:amzn1.fos.006c50ae-5d4c-4777-9bc0-4513d670b6bc&psc=1&smid=AC0UA62Z9ZBMG&spLa=ZW5jcnlwdGVkUXVhbGlmaWVyPUExSjlRT1VLODlLTUM2JmVuY3J5cHRlZElkPUEwNjM4NDExNFpVRkQ2TTRBME9MJmVuY3J5cHRlZEFkSWQ9QTAyNDI2MDNUT1oxVUdHREZEUFgmd2lkZ2V0TmFtZT1zcF9hdGYmYWN0aW9uPWNsaWNrUmVkaXJlY3QmZG9Ob3RMb2dDbGljaz10cnVl

mount quick connect to battery. it's only 1.5 feet long so you do have to purchase a 6 foot extension.

run to front back or side of jeep. plug into maintainer cord whenever you want.

mine runs from battery to the back of the front bumper. just a quick little connect when i want to plug the maintainer on.

there is zero reason to mount the entire device on the jeep.

OP
OP
Altitude2020

Altitude2020

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wow. these are all far more complicated than they need to be.

https://www.amazon.com/Battery-Tender-021-0128-Maintain-Damaging/dp/B00068XCQU/ref=sr_1_2_sspa?crid=3DS9S8WY6T6YI&keywords=battery+tender&qid=1674995475&sprefix=battery+tender,aps,129&sr=8-2-spons&ufe=app_do:amzn1.fos.006c50ae-5d4c-4777-9bc0-4513d670b6bc&psc=1&smid=AC0UA62Z9ZBMG&spLa=ZW5jcnlwdGVkUXVhbGlmaWVyPUExSjlRT1VLODlLTUM2JmVuY3J5cHRlZElkPUEwNjM4NDExNFpVRkQ2TTRBME9MJmVuY3J5cHRlZEFkSWQ9QTAyNDI2MDNUT1oxVUdHREZEUFgmd2lkZ2V0TmFtZT1zcF9hdGYmYWN0aW9uPWNsaWNrUmVkaXJlY3QmZG9Ob3RMb2dDbGljaz10cnVl

mount quick connect to battery. it's only 1.5 feet long so you do have to purchase a 6 foot extension.

run to front back or side of jeep. plug into maintainer cord whenever you want.

mine runs from battery to the back of the front bumper. just a quick little connect when i want to plug the maintainer on.

there is zero reason to mount the entire device on the jeep.
I guess you do not see the need. However I travel to various places and stay various amounts of time. From 32 degree celsius weather to minus 40 degree celsius. So remember that charger lol. I would rather have it in the Jeep and forget about the extension cord. Oh, wait I can carry an extra. Your opinion is based on your needs and not understanding the reasoning behind the question. On another note, I would never buy another battery tender. Personal experience.

Sponsored

chicknwaffles

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 rubicon
I guess you do not see the need. However I travel to various places and stay various amounts of time. From 32 degree celsius weather to minus 40 degree celsius. So remember that charger lol. I would rather have it in the Jeep and forget about the extension cord. Oh, wait I can carry an extra. Your opinion is based on your needs and not understanding the reasoning behind the question. On another note, I would never buy another battery tender. Personal experience.
rock on

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy
Snipe:
On another note, I would never buy another battery tender. Personal experience.
@Altitude2020

Indeed, steer clear of the Battery Tender Plus for your JL..

Do consider a Noco 10 versus the Noco 5. A Noco 10, has tad bit bigger footprint, costs a few more $ when buying it .... but it will better serve you.

I like a few other's here over the last 4+ years found, felt, the low amp output charger / maintainers did just not have what it took to lets say, keep the JL's Main battery up to snuff... to keep it maintained/keep it healthy... or to do it in a timely manner even if it could.

For me though, I did see for myself that my Deltran Battery Tender Plus never was able to charge up my JL's Main battery like a Noco 10 can.. (I use a Noco 10 or both Main and Aux)

I know that there are far better charger /maintainers to use then a Noco but the Noco 10 has done enough lets say...so it has kept me with it, versus moving on to a pricier, superior charger / maintainer.

Note: I have 2 Deltran Battery Tender Pluses.... a very decent, reliable, low amp output charger/maintainer. I have them in use on Harley's and they work well on the motorcycle batteries on those bikes. I have had the Deltran's for years. Bought them years ago from the guy in Deland, Florida ....... from the guy himself that started Deltran, the company.

OP
OP
Altitude2020

Altitude2020

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Snipe:

@Altitude2020

Do consider a Noco 10 versus the Noco 5. A Noco 10, has tad bit bigger footprint, costs a few more $ when buying it .... but it will better serve you.

I like a few other's here over the last 4+ years found, felt, the low amp output charger / maintainers did just not have what it took to lets say, keep the JL's Main battery up to snuff... to keep it maintained/keep it healthy... or to do it in a timely manner even if it could.

For me though, I did see for myself that my Deltran Battery Tender Plus never was able to charge up my JL's Main battery like a Noco 10 can.. (I use a Noco 10 or both Main and Aux)

I know that there are far better charger /maintainers to use then a Noco but the Noco 10 has done enough lets say...so it has kept me with it, versus moving on to a pricier, superior charger / maintainer.

Note: I have 2 Deltran Battery Tender Pluses.... a very decent, reliable, low amp output charger/maintainer. I have them in use on Harley's and they work well on the motorcycle batteries on those bikes. I have had the Deltran's for years. Bought them years ago from the guy in Deland, Florida ....... from the guy himself that started Deltran, the company.

OP
OP
Altitude2020

Altitude2020

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I like the 10, however the unit I'm looking at is the 5x1 for size and configuration. The Pro is much smaller than the Genius, but getting the positive and negative wires to the battery is not easily possible. The Genius 5x1 have quick disconnect extension. So from either the passenger or driver side the wires will have to be extended. If I need to use the charger for other batteries it will be easier to remove. Took me awhile to look at the differences. The Genius 10x1 is a big unit.

Sponsored

chicknwaffles

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 rubicon
Snipe:

@Altitude2020

so bar none. what is the best battery maintainer? money is no object?

I use the battery tender plus. Other than they seem to die after a few years they have charged every car or truck just fine.

so i'm calling bullshi%% on not being able to charge a JL adequately
this vehicle is not special

OP
OP
Altitude2020

Altitude2020

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

I use the battery tender plus. Other than they seem to die after a few years they have charged every car or truck just fine.

so i'm calling bullshi%% on not being able to charge a JL.
Where does it state the JL cannot be charged?

Jebiruph

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 2019 KL, 2020 JT

so i'm calling bullshi%% on not being able to charge a JL adequately
The is a plethora of information on this site regarding battery manufacture charging rate recommendations that support @Rhinebeck01 's comment.