Sponsored

On Board Battery Maintainer / Charger install

STW

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLR 2door 2.0T Rubicon stingrey
Here's the on-board charger set-up I installed today, similar to what I've seen here from other installs. I put the Noco port plug (GCP1E with 6 foot cord) on the driver's side because I think I'll be more likely to notice it there and remember to unplug before I drive away. That's also the reason for the LED lighted plug. Plug port on the cowl is reachable for me from the driver's seat so I can unplug without getting out of the Jeep if I do forget before I get in.

I've installed the Noco 10 strap-mount with 3M mounting tape on the top of the fuse box. Some on this thread have put it there and I'm wondering if it'll get too hot there while driving. It's easy to unplug the Noco 10 and use it to charge other batteries in the garage or elsewhere when I'll occasionally need to do that.

Had been planning on putting the charger on the garage wall and using quick disconnect extensions to plug into the battery. But I didn't like any of the ways to have a quick disconnect accessible from outside the Jeep, so charging that way would require opening the hood. Power port seems the fastest, easiest way to regularly plug in for charging, and since I do park overnight elsewhere quite often it's sensible to have it on-board.

Glad I read this thread.
Realized my JLR battery "system" needed more attention than my TJ's battery due to all the electronics and the dual battery setup. I'd been getting ESS error messages, and sure enough the main and aux appear to have been damaged by excessive discharge(s) and wouldn't take a charge. The Noco 10 Repair mode brought them back, but I'm now running with the Aux neg cable disconnected and fuse 42 pulled.

Noco port plug GCP1E 6' .JPG

Noco 10 on the fuse box with quick disconnect M10 eyelet cable.JPG
Sponsored

swampflyer

First Name
rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 jlr-2015 jette tdi-2013 mb
Occupation
retired
Here's the on-board charger set-up I installed today, similar to what I've seen here from other installs. I put the Noco port plug (GCP1E with 6 foot cord) on the driver's side because I think I'll be more likely to notice it there and remember to unplug before I drive away. That's also the reason for the LED lighted plug. Plug port on the cowl is reachable for me from the driver's seat so I can unplug without getting out of the Jeep if I do forget before I get in.

I've installed the Noco 10 strap-mount with 3M mounting tape on the top of the fuse box. Some on this thread have put it there and I'm wondering if it'll get too hot there while driving. It's easy to unplug the Noco 10 and use it to charge other batteries in the garage or elsewhere when I'll occasionally need to do that.

Had been planning on putting the charger on the garage wall and using quick disconnect extensions to plug into the battery. But I didn't like any of the ways to have a quick disconnect accessible from outside the Jeep, so charging that way would require opening the hood. Power port seems the fastest, easiest way to regularly plug in for charging, and since I do park overnight elsewhere quite often it's sensible to have it on-board.

Glad I read this thread.
Realized my JLR battery "system" needed more attention than my TJ's battery due to all the electronics and the dual battery setup. I'd been getting ESS error messages, and sure enough the main and aux appear to have been damaged by excessive discharge(s) and wouldn't take a charge. The Noco 10 Repair mode brought them back, but I'm now running with the Aux neg cable disconnected and fuse 42 pulled.

Jeep Wrangler JL On Board Battery  Maintainer / Charger install Noco 10 on the fuse box with quick disconnect M10 eyelet cable.JPG

Jeep Wrangler JL On Board Battery  Maintainer / Charger install Noco 10 on the fuse box with quick disconnect M10 eyelet cable.JPG
Great job. I just couldn't cut into the body like that. Thanks for the pictures.

Reactions: STW

STW

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLR 2door 2.0T Rubicon stingrey
Great job. I just couldn't cut into the body like that. Thanks for the pictures.
made me slightly nervous too, but only in that it's hard to place the 2" hole correctly: low as possible to make it reachable from the window (and vertical so it can't accumulate water in case that rubber plug fails) but still has to clear the metal fender shoulder part that's behind the plastic cowl piece.

The other port placement I like is JasonInDLH's--page one of this thread. That location he uses makes it much more visible from the driver's seat, and is also an easy drill since that body piece is plastic like the cowl. For me it was a toss up, and if I decide to relocate it there, I can easily get replacement cowl parts, usually in black though, not painted to match the Jeep. But at least drilling the cowl gives you a do-over, haha.

I like Noco's plug port, and they make one with a 10' cord that allows the port to go in the corner of a bumper, front or rear, as one or two posters on this thread located it.

Convenience for plug/unplug is probably the key thing, in what ever way you are set up for parking.

When I was considering various locations suggested on this thread, and during a very snowy week, I was thinking what is the most available spot to plug in when I pull into the garage with the Jeep covered in snow, ice, and mud, especially the way wheel wells and bumpers get covered in muddy ice.

Yawnie'sPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLUR, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Can I use stainless steel nuts on the battery posts 1,2,3,4 or 5. I can not get zinc here in Canada. Just in case I loose the nut. I know smaller nuts are M6 100 and the one larger one is M8 1.25.

Like already said - best to not mix zinc plated fasteners with stainless steel.

Bolts and nuts aren't zinc.
They are steel - but they are zinc plated.
Any hardware store sells plated bolts and nuts. You can go to a home center and get metric nuts for these.
Again - they are not zinc, they are not made of zinc. They are steel bolts and nuts, steel washers. But they have been plated with a thin layer of zinc metal, and then passivate to make the zinc less active to protect it.
(I do zinc plating for auto restorations)
So go in and ask for steel bolts - and I bet you see shiny zinc plated steel bolts and nuts.
So in short - there's no such thing as a "zinc bolt" or a "Zinc nut" but you can get zinc plated steel bolts and nuts at any home center or hardware store.

You can easily use stainless steel - as long as it's not used against zinc. (it's fine for several weeks, however. I have stainless steel nuts and bolts holding my pure zinc anodes on a stainless steel rack in my plating tank)
Zinc is a rather bluish metal, cad is more gray/silver, if I had a spare bolt or stud from one of these Jeeps I'd test it and see which it is. They look awfully gray to be zinc, IMO. They look more cad than zinc. Maybe that's why I've not had problems using stainless fasteners on mine.

These are zinc plated - note the bluish hue as opposed to gray. Some electric terminals are also plated tin/zinc which is more gray unless polished to a silver.

Jeep Wrangler JL On Board Battery  Maintainer / Charger install 20200505_162206

OP
OP
Altitude2020

Altitude2020

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler JLU Altitude
Like already said - best to not mix zinc plated fasteners with stainless steel.

Bolts and nuts aren't zinc.
They are steel - but they are zinc plated.
Any hardware store sells plated bolts and nuts. You can go to a home center and get metric nuts for these.
Again - they are not zinc, they are not made of zinc. They are steel bolts and nuts, steel washers. But they have been plated with a thin layer of zinc metal, and then passivate to make the zinc less active to protect it.
(I do zinc plating for auto restorations)
So go in and ask for steel bolts - and I bet you see shiny zinc plated steel bolts and nuts.
So in short - there's no such thing as a "zinc bolt" or a "Zinc nut" but you can get zinc plated steel bolts and nuts at any home center or hardware store.

You can easily use stainless steel - as long as it's not used against zinc. (it's fine for several weeks, however. I have stainless steel nuts and bolts holding my pure zinc anodes on a stainless steel rack in my plating tank)
Zinc is a rather bluish metal, cad is more gray/silver, if I had a spare bolt or stud from one of these Jeeps I'd test it and see which it is. They look awfully gray to be zinc, IMO. They look more cad than zinc. Maybe that's why I've not had problems using stainless fasteners on mine.

These are zinc plated - note the bluish hue as opposed to gray. Some electric terminals are also plated tin/zinc which is more gray unless polished to a silver.

Jeep Wrangler JL On Board Battery  Maintainer / Charger install 20200505_162206
After checking Home Hardware, Home Depot, Lowes, Rona, Amazon and mom and pop stores hardware stores no luck. Dealership wanted $5.00 per nut. Well luckily there is a distributor open to the public that sells fastening devices. Well I picked up 5 M6 and 5 M8 for 49 cents each. Extras just in case.

Sponsored

WillysIam

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Firecracker Red Willy's
What exact model are y'all using? I understand it's the NOCO 10A, but does it come with everything needed to do an onboard install? Or do I need to buy extra cables/modify it?

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy
What exact model are y'all using? I understand it's the NOCO 10A, but does it come with everything needed to do an onboard install? Or do I need to buy extra cables/modify it?
I'm not a fan of installing a Noco 10 onboard... but...

You would need to buy and use one of these so you could connect to the JL and not use the clamps that come with the Noco offerings.

https://www.amazon.com/NOCO-GC008-Eyelet-Terminal-Connector/dp/B004LWWNLC/ref=sr_1_4?crid=20E8QJ9DEHRC5&keywords=noco+connector+plug&qid=1694375889&sprefix=noco+connector,aps,113&sr=8-4

Jeep Wrangler JL On Board Battery  Maintainer / Charger install 71dYzAymeML._AC_SL1500_

WillysIam

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I'm not a fan of installing a Noco 10 onboard... but...

You would need to buy and use one of these so you could connect to the JL and not use the clamps that come with the Noco offerings.

https://www.amazon.com/NOCO-GC008-Eyelet-Terminal-Connector/dp/B004LWWNLC/ref=sr_1_4?crid=20E8QJ9DEHRC5&keywords=noco+connector+plug&qid=1694375889&sprefix=noco+connector,aps,113&sr=8-4

Jeep Wrangler JL On Board Battery  Maintainer / Charger install 71dYzAymeML._AC_SL1500_
Thanks for the link. Do you recommend I just prop the hood open every time? Wife mainly drives it too so that should be considered.

Just put the new battery in and want to keep it healthy since it doesn't get driven often, but school picks ups monday-friday until I'm on paternity leave and then it'll sit for awhile.

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy
Thanks for the link. Do you recommend I just prop the hood open every time? Wife mainly drives it too so that should be considered.

Just put the new battery in and want to keep it healthy since it doesn't get driven often, but school picks ups monday-friday until I'm on paternity leave and then it'll sit for awhile.
Do take a few minutes and read through this whole thread
https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/battery-maintainer-question.87013/

Also, if you garage your JL, consider installing Redline Tuning Hood Lift Struts.
Install those (easy install) and opening the hood is easy easy easy to do for you and your Wife..
https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/fo...d-struts-5-minute-bolt-in-installation.47632/

You or your Wife pop open the hood and hook up the Noco 10 with it's included clamps. Takes seconds to do. Struts do all the lifting!

A plus is the engine compartment hood is open when the Noco is connected so no chance you or your Wife will back the JL out of the garage with the Noco connected.

For the last few years I have been doing as I have mentioned.

swampflyer

First Name
rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
retired
https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/battery-maintainer-question.87013/

Also, if you garage your JL, consider installing Redline Tuning Hood Lift Struts.
Install those (easy install) and opening the hood is easy easy easy to do for you and your Wife..
https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/fo...d-struts-5-minute-bolt-in-installation.47632/

You or your Wife pop open the hood and hook up the Noco 10 with it's included clamps. Takes seconds to do. Struts do all the lifting!

A plus is the engine compartment hood is open when the Noco is connected so no chance you or your Wife will back the JL out of the garage with the Noco connected.

After two times doing that myself I purchased a (remove before flight) flag about 5 inches by 2 inches and connect it to the clip on the sun visor. It's right in front of your eyes and must remove to see out the windshield. works for me as extension cords get expensive. They are available on sports.com which is an aviation on line catalog order site. works for me to remember to pull the plug.

Sponsored

swampflyer

First Name
rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
retired
I did this. Time will tell whether or not this is a good location. I also have a tag that hangs in front of my push to start button. Black with NOCO in red lettering.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B088KHX839/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Jeep Wrangler JL On Board Battery  Maintainer / Charger install IMG_0316
Nice job. no way I would trust myself to do a body mount like that. I made a bracket and connected under neath the rear bumper like how they mounted the trailer plugs. I'm thinking of moving it to the right front behind the front bumper. Don't have to bend down so much.

Terrymo

First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 JLURXR 3.6 ET
Clubs

Nice job. no way I would trust myself to do a body mount like that. I made a bracket and connected under neath the rear bumper like how they mounted the trailer plugs. I'm thinking of moving it to the right front behind the front bumper. Don't have to bend down so much.
Thanks. Several other forum members came up with the body mount idea first. I just copied it.

WillysIam

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

Thanks, for the time being ill just be hooking it up with the clamps. I'll add some stuff in down the line. Time to order the NOCO
Sponsored