OMG it’s fixed!!!

Gallagher

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Rubicon Unlimited JL
So my car play hasn’t worked since April 2019, been in a bunch of times including, but not limited to a new head unit. Any time I plugged my phone into any of the USB ports the system went into a never ending crash and reboot cycle. Also couldn't access any of my music libraries through CarPlay (when it occasionally worked for short periods of time). Didn’t stop until I unplugged the phone and restarted my Jeep. Dealer could not find the issue and basically ran out of ideas.

I noticed the light around the USB ports flickered, asked the dealer to look into the USB’s.

They reluctantly ordered in the parts and replaced the Center console USB and for the first time in almost a year the system works flawlessly!

Anybody else having “unsolvable” issues with the 8.4 system should look and see if the light flickers around the USB ports. Might be the ticket!

happy jeep owner at last!
Sponsored

Rico1111

First Name
Rico
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon 2 door JL
So my car play hasn’t worked since April 2019, been in a bunch of times including, but not limited to a new head unit. Any time I plugged my phone into any of the USB ports the system went into a never ending crash and reboot cycle. Also couldn't access any of my music libraries through CarPlay (when it occasionally worked for short periods of time). Didn’t stop until I unplugged the phone and restarted my Jeep. Dealer could not find the issue and basically ran out of ideas.

I noticed the light around the USB ports flickered, asked the dealer to look into the USB’s.

They reluctantly ordered in the parts and replaced the Center console USB and for the first time in almost a year the system works flawlessly!

Anybody else having “unsolvable” issues with the 8.4 system should look and see if the light flickers around the USB ports. Might be the ticket!

happy jeep owner at last!
First Congratz!
So It was an electrical issue? meaning that there was no power or interrupted power causing havoc?

OP
OP

Gallagher

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
First Congratz!
So It was an electrical issue? meaning that there was no power or interrupted power causing havoc?
Yes, electrical issue with the USB ports causing intermittent power. It was the center console USB that they replaced, and that fixed the operation of all three USB ports.

df007

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Sahara 2.0
Yes, electrical issue with the USB ports causing intermittent power. It was the center console USB that they replaced, and that fixed the operation of all three USB ports.
Sweet I have noticed mine flicker at times. Do you know if they replaced both USB units in the center console or just one of them? There is one that faces the rear seats, and one that is inside the center console. I think the way the wiring works is the head unit connects to the dash usb, then the dash usb connects to the rear seat usb, and the end of the line is actually the inner-console usb.

Rdmitch

First Name
Ross
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR, ford transit 250, 2017 Wrangler Smoky Mountain Edition
Occupation
Mechanical designer /contractor and musician
Nice.... the head unit and USB are a super important item to not have work right.
Hope they bumped your warranty accordingly

Sponsored

OP
OP

Gallagher

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sweet I have noticed mine flicker at times. Do you know if they replaced both USB units in the center console or just one of them? There is one that faces the rear seats, and one that is inside the center console. I think the way the wiring works is the head unit connects to the dash usb, then the dash usb connects to the rear seat usb, and the end of the line is actually the inner-console usb.
I'm not sure. To be honest, I had zero faith that this would fix the issue, so didn't pay too much attention and didn't look at the parts they ordered or the installation. I know they definitely replaced the one inside the center console. As far as I know that was the only one.

jeepdabest

First Name
Bobby
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Sahara
Could have saved the hassle and fixed it yourself. Keep some in the cargo area.
Blinker Fluid.jpg

OP
OP

Gallagher

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Could have saved the hassle and fixed it yourself. Keep some in the cargo area.
Blinker Fluid.jpg
I don’t find that stuff does much for electronics, but it’s not bad on a sunny day... 2 parts blinker fluid, one part fresh squeezed grapefruit juice, splash of bitters served over planet of ice.
Sponsored