Sponsored

Omg help messed up my door hinge torx bolt

diesel_jeep

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
4bt Cj
yea reverse bit or easy out... Pesonally I am partial to the reverse bit or drilling it out and re tapping
Sponsored

plex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Occupation
Weekend keyboard mechanic and beer drinker
Vehicle Showcase
partial to the reverse bit or drilling it out and re tapping
What is the difference of reverse bit and easy out, aren't they the same thing using left hand threaded bit to bite it out.

diesel_jeep

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
4bt Cj
What is the difference of reverse bit and easy out, aren't they the same thing using left hand threaded bit to bite it out.
Quality of bit... The easy outs are usually coarser and can brake off in the stud. Have had this happen many times. A good quality left handed bit will never break in the stud.

Adamoni

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon Recon (2.0T w/ eTorque)
Totally different question here and I haven’t read thread but when you flip up the step do the teeth of step hit door paint?

Johnnyepp

First Name
Johnny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU 2019 Sahara Overland
Jeep Wrangler JL Omg help messed up my door hinge torx bolt 08D81A1F-AC02-470C-9C18-A7B4CD9BC015
more one stuck door screw in this topic . I will keep you updated in the solution. I used a good quality T50 torx . ( the T55 is just for the tailgate bolts in JLU, that I already changed without problem.)

Sponsored

ali.baba

First Name
Alfredo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JL Wrangler 4xe
I was in this exact situation a few days ago! The good news is that the Atlas steps provides new longer (black) bolts, so you don't need the jeep ones in the door anymore. The bad news is they're an absolute witch to get out. We drilled it out, then removed the door and gently twisted until the hinge came off. The head was actually broken at the front, and from there we could easily remove the bolt.

Jeep Wrangler JL Omg help messed up my door hinge torx bolt 08D81A1F-AC02-470C-9C18-A7B4CD9BC015
This is what my bolt currently looks like. Did you use an extractor bit? how did you end up removing the bolt?

TrailJoy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUS, HellaYella
This is what my bolt currently looks like. Did you use an extractor bit? how did you end up removing the bolt?
I fed my mechanic sugary snacks and coffee while watching him swear at it for roughly two hours. LOL He ended up having to drill it out and intentionally breaking the head off in order to remove the rest from inside the door. LOL It was quite the event! Sorry I can’t be of more help. I hope yours comes off a loteasier than mine did.

ali.baba

First Name
Alfredo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JL Wrangler 4xe
I fed my mechanic sugary snacks and coffee while watching him swear at it for roughly two hours. LOL He ended up having to drill it out and intentionally breaking the head off in order to remove the rest from inside the door. LOL It was quite the event! Sorry I can’t be of more help. I hope yours comes off a loteasier than mine did.
Thanks, I took it to a body shop and they made the whole the size of yours.... they started taking the inside door panel for another 20 min and I said nevermind....took it to a few other body shops nearby and they're like, "sorry, can't help you"

Can you explain how breaking the head off helps remove the bolt? Isn't the bolt still threaded inside?

Tool Guy

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR, 2020 BMW Z4, 2021 Tacoma, 2022 X3 M40i
Drilling the head off removes all the tension the bolt was in (that's what's preventing it from turning). With no head, it's essentially a loose bolt. If thread locker is involved then another challenge arises. If enough bolt length is available after removing the head, clamp on with vise grips and it should turn out. That may be why they went inside the door. More available bolt surface to clamp onto.

Last edited:

TrailJoy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUS, HellaYella
Thanks, I took it to a body shop and they made the whole the size of yours.... they started taking the inside door panel for another 20 min and I said nevermind....took it to a few other body shops nearby and they're like, "sorry, can't help you"

Can you explain how breaking the head off helps remove the bolt? Isn't the bolt still threaded inside?
It was exactly how ToolGuy explained it. I have been going to the same shop for years so they know me quite well, and watching him fight with my door it was pretty obvious that he made this a personal challenge. He wasn’t going to lose that day. LOL

But it took time and some brute force that I wasn’t very comfortable with, but that was probably my fault because I did make a joke about getting that first scratch out of the way. Don’t do that. lol

Seriously though, good luck. I truly hope yours comes out easier than mine did. And having said that, I have no regrets whatsoever. I use my step ALL the time.

bbrent

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR 21
Does anyone have the part number of the door hinge bolt? Stripped mine too, should get it on order to replace it.
Sponsored