Vehicle Showcase
^^:CWL::CWL::CWL::CWL::CWL::no:
Sponsored

word302

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
STOP everything right now, and take your car to your Jeep dealer for repairs. The Service Department or Body Shop can hopefully handle this. At this point, this is no longer a DIY project. You need to let the Pros intervene here, and straighten things out.
Yeah no.

mwilk012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ocean Blue JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Service
STOP everything right now, and take your car to your Jeep dealer for repairs. The Service Department or Body Shop can hopefully handle this. At this point, this is no longer a DIY project. You need to let the Pros intervene here, and straighten things out.
Lol, one stripped bolt on a non-structural part. Yea, no.

mwilk012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Service
Did you try to use the T50 that comes with your Jeep? Thatā€™s what this looks like. You still have torx shaped corners on your stripped bolt head which should be gone is you managed to round out a T-55 in there.

64FA1C24-A379-42F3-BB86-309BABDFD96D.jpeg

image.jpg

OP
OP

LLRubylady

First Name
Lisa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
was an ā€˜18 Rubicon Mojito! now a boring Mazda
Did you try to use the T50 that comes with your Jeep? Thatā€™s what this looks like. You still have torx shaped corners on your stripped bolt head which should be gone is you managed to round out a T-55 in there.

64FA1C24-A379-42F3-BB86-309BABDFD96D.jpeg

image.jpg
I used the t 50 that cane in the kit. I just think I donā€™t have enough strength. Although my husband tried it too and it was hard for him.
He didnā€™t want to continue for fear that Iā€™d Let him have it if he messed up my Jeep. Lol

Reactions: JC7

Sponsored

mwilk012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Service
I used the t 50 that cane in the kit. I just think I donā€™t have enough strength. Although my husband tried it too and it was hard for him.
He didnā€™t want to continue for fear that Iā€™d Let him have it if he messed up my Jeep. Lol
Yea, thaat T-50 is the wrong size. It is obvious by looking at your bolt closely that is what happened. Get a T-55 and a real 1/2 inch drive ratchet and these things come off like its no big deal.

MOPAR Boy

First Name
Moper
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 G63, 2019 S63
By continuing down this DIY path, you may further damage that bolt head, making this an even bigger nightmare. Take it to your local Jeep dealer, and let the Pros resolve this matter. Any further DIY attempts to recover from this mistake may make things even worse, and buy yourself further trouble, which could devolve into a huger and even more costly repair bill. Cut your losses while the cutting is still good. Sorry this happened, but if you STOP now and take it into your dealer, it should be all good. Otherwise, all bets are off.

mwilk012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Service
By continuing down this DIY path, you may further damage that bolt head, making this an even bigger nightmare. Take it to your local Jeep dealer, and let the Pros resolve this matter. Any further DIY attempts to recover from this mistake may make things even worse, and buy yourself further trouble, which could devolve into a huger and even more costly repair bill. Cut your losses while the cutting is still good. Sorry this happened, but if you STOP now and take it into your dealer, it should be all good. Otherwise, all bets are off.
Dude, it's a door hinge bolt. You may not have much faith in her, but the worst thing she could do with the proper sized bit is continue to damage the bolt that is already trash. The dealership is going to charge 120 dollars at least for this repair.

word302

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
What could get worse? The bolt is either stripped or it isn't. You assume that the "pros" at the dealership are more experienced than me or you, I guarantee I have more time wrenching on rigs than they do. Your aversion to DIY makes no sense, especially in this case. It's just a bolt.

MOPAR Boy

First Name
Moper
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 G63, 2019 S63
Dude, it's a door hinge bolt. You may not have much faith in her, but the worst thing she could do with the proper sized bit is continue to damage the bolt that is already trash. The dealership is going to charge 120 dollars at least for this repair.
Dude, she could very easily further damage and worsen that bolt head, making a now fairly simple repair for Pros, oh, so much worse. At that point, the repair will get exponentially worse, and much more costly. If she STOPs right now, and lets the Pros handle this now, she will minimize her costs. Further damage will only dig the cost hole a lot deeper.

Sponsored

word302

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
Dude, she could very easily further damage and worsen that bolt head, making a now fairly simple repair for Pros, oh, so much worse. At that point, the repair will get exponentially worse, and much more costly. If she STOPs right now, and lets the Pros handle this now, she will minimize her costs. Further damage will only dig the cost hole a lot deeper.
You obviously have no idea what you're talking about.

MOPAR Boy

First Name
Moper
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 G63, 2019 S63
You obviously have no idea what you're talking about.
So easy and pain free for the knowitalls to give other ppl free advice on how to further damage their cars. My non-DIY route gets it repaired properly by the Pros. Your DIY route gets her dug-in even deeper into a black hole of escalating costs.

mwilk012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Service
So easy and pain free for the knowitalls to give other ppl free advice on how to further damage their cars. My non-DIY route gets it repaired properly by the Pros. Your DIY route gets her dug-in even deeper into a black hole of escalating costs.
Escalating how? The job to fix it is the same no matter what she tries. A shop would just drill it out a bit and use an extractor. I do this for a living on much, much more expensive equipment than a vehicle. It doesnā€™t matter whether the head it scuffed up or completely stripped out. She still stands a chance of getting it out herself, and if you want to keep pushing for the ā€œpay the corporate entityā€ option Mr. Mopar, feel free to do so with yours. Some people are capable of working on their own vehicles and everyone has to start somewhere. There really isnā€™t a simpler job to do than remove a single stripped bolt.

Look at this way. With your method of repair, she pays for an hour of labor to remove the stripped bolt now, and they try to sell her a new one or charge her to install the steps. To finish the step install herself, she needs to buy a socket wrench and torx bit.

Worst case scenario with DIY, she buys a 1/2 in drive socket wrench and a set of torx bits from Loweā€™s/Home Depot/Harbor Freight/Walmart, it doesnā€™t work, and she goes to the dealership to have the one bolt removed and heads back home to finish the job.

MOPAR Boy

First Name
Moper
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 G63, 2019 S63
Yup, giving out free advice to pitentially worsen things by continuing to go the DIY route is so free and easy, when youā€™re risking someone elses money.

mwilk012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Service
You have repeatedly failed to explain how worsening the condition of a bolt that is very clearly trashed is going to cost any more money.
Sponsored